Applying for PA school next cycle, but low GPA and GRE. What to do with the year?

So after 6 years as an undergrad, I'm finally graduating this Spring with a BA in liberal arts and plan on applying next cycle for PA programs. My cGPA is a 3.37, sGPA 3.21 and GRE of 305. In terms of extracurricular I have the following under my belt:

Professional Medical Interpreter for Kaiser Permanente - 1 year

Publications in Dermatology, Nutrition, and Hepatology

Emergency Medicine Shadowing at Stanford University and UC Davis - 1 year

Surgery Shadowing at UC Davis - 1 year

Community Health Clinic - 1 year as an intern and 2 years as the director

Founder of a No Cost Vaccination Clinic

All my extracurriculars are still ongoing so by the time I apply next year they'll have matured further. I am quite worried about my GPA and GRE scores however. I took the GREs about 2 years ago and it was a rushed effort - I studied for about 3 days prior to taking the test because I was trying to get a last minute score for public health school. Should I spend the year off taking some classes at a community college or should I study for my GREs and take them again? What programs do I honestly have a shot at? I'm afraid with my scores I may simply get screened out of a lot of potential schools and I'd like to go to a school where I have a good shot of finding a job in Emergency Medicine afterwards =[. Or should I just leave my stats the way they are and just focus on finding more extracurricular work? I'm a bit at a lost at what I should consider

I am not sure what PA schools you are wanting to apply too..but your GRE is sufficient/competitive for most as far as I know (most say 300, so I wouldn't consider yours low). As far as GPA, again its not terrible..so just retake science prereq classes you made less than a B in, and take more upper level science courses that are recommended but not required. Also, to get direct patient contact, take a CNA, EMT, etc. course and starting working. You should be ok next cycle. Good luck!

I am not sure what PA schools you are wanting to apply too..but your GRE is sufficient/competitive for most as far as I know (most say 300, so I wouldn't consider yours low). As far as GPA, again its not terrible..so just retake science prereq classes you made less than a B in, and take more upper level science courses that are recommended but not required. Also, to get direct patient contact, take a CNA, EMT, etc. course and starting working. You should be ok next cycle. Good luck!

I'm hoping to stay in California, but I guess in a way I'm not so picky about which school I go to. I've actually tried to get an EMT job before, but it's so incredibly impacted around here that there are never any openings at all! The closest I've gotten to actual patient care is my job as a medical interpreter, but I don't know what schools would consider that DPC. I mean as interpreters we essentially are integral to the patient's health since if the patient can't communicate what's wrong then nothing can really be done, but I don't think schools would see it that way hahaha. I haven't tried to get a CNA license yet, but I always assumed that was a 2 year path no?

Archived