How do you treat Acute Gout in the ED?

I have been working in the ER (south side Chicago) for about 5 months now and see a ton of patient with acute gout flare up. Most of the patients I see don't have any insurance or a primary care doctor. what is your preferred gout treatment? Some of the doctors I work with like using Indomethacin alone and some like to do a short course of Prednisone and Naproxen.

In Ed 2 colchrys 0.6mg each, po

10 mg decadron IM

10 mg Percocet po

Crutches (this b*tch hurts!)

Prednisone 20 mg #15 2 po qam x5d, 1 po qam x5d ( on $4 list)

If insurance: lortabs 10 and colchrys #4 sig 1po bid x 2d and lortab 10 #10

If no insurance hydrocodone 5/325 sig 1-3q4-6h for pain

Cold packs, elevate, time.

No etoh.

If had more than 3 flares in 12 months.. Would need referral to free clinic for Uris acid production/excretion determination, and appropriate maintainence treatment.

Note: this only applies to folks with OBJECTIVE findings; warm, swollen joint(s), elevated Uris acid or sed rate, etc.. No merely someone who SAYS he has gout and SAYS He is having pain.

If I were to decide to use NSAID ( any would work, indomethicine is sorta the standard).. Then baseline creatinine.

In Ed 2 colchrys 0.6mg each, po

10 mg decadron IM

10 mg Percocet po

Crutches (this b*tch hurts!)

Prednisone 20 mg #15 2 po qam x5d, 1 po qam x5d ( on $4 list)

If insurance: lortabs 10 and colchrys #4 sig 1po bid x 2d and lortab 10 #10

If no insurance hydrocodone 5/325 sig 1-3q4-6h for pain

Cold packs, elevate, time.

No etoh.

If had more than 3 flares in 12 months.. Would need referral to free clinic for Uris acid production/excretion determination, and appropriate maintainence treatment.

Note: this only applies to folks with OBJECTIVE findings; warm, swollen joint(s), elevated Uris acid or sed rate, etc.. No merely someone who SAY If I were to decide to use NSAID ( any would work, indomethicine is sorta the standard).. Then baseline creatinine.

I agree with the above and colcrys can also be used as ppx after the flare. I measure Urate levels but not use it as a hard and fast rule to determine treat no treat. I have seen Gouty flares with urates in the 4's and asymptomatic patients in the 8's so YMMV. I use it as a baseline for each pt and pretty much treat based on symptoms and exam/presentation.

I never measure uric acid levels, unless ortho requests them in a consult.

If the joint is warm and red enough to tap it to rule out septic arthritis, then I get crystal studies along with the studies to rule out the major badness.

If it's just clinical gestalt and I don't tap/draw labs, then at the very least NSAIDs/steroids, and maybe colchicine if suspicion is higher.

I agree with the above and colcrys can also be used as ppx after the flare. I measure Urate levels but not use it as a hard and fast rule to determine treat no treat. I have seen Gouty flares with urates in the 4's and asymptomatic patients in the 8's so YMMV. I use it as a baseline for each pt and pretty much treat based on symptoms and exam/presentation.

Colcrys is great, just pricey, and probably out of reach for uninsured inner city patients in Chicago. In a perfect world I use it bid, then add either allopurinol or Uloric two weeks after the attack is over....

I never measure uric acid levels, unless ortho requests them in a consult.

If the joint is warm and red enough to tap it to rule out septic arthritis, then I get crystal studies along with the studies to rule out the major badness.

If it's just clinical gestalt and I don't tap/draw labs, then at the very least NSAIDs/steroids, and maybe colchicine if suspicion is higher.

Agreed with above. The uric acid level doesn't correlate with an acute flare, so I don't bother getting it if it won't change my management. First-time presentation or atypical presentation gets a joint tap; if they can tell me this feels like their usual gout flare then it's usually indomethacin and colchicine, with steroids for those who can't tolerate NSAID's.

We actually have colchicine in the outpatient formulary for $4!!! I usually never get uric acid level, unless it is their first presentation. I usually prescribe indomethacine and colchicine but have seen different supervising physician prescribing all sorts of things including allopurinol and prednisone. If you do write for indomethacine, do you taper it down?? Thank you so much for everyone's reply! I really appreciate it!

We actually have colchicine in the outpatient formulary for $4!!! I usually never get uric acid level, unless it is their first presentation. I usually prescribe indomethacine and colchicine but have seen different supervising physician prescribing all sorts of things including allopurinol and prednisone. If you do write for indomethacine, do you taper it down?? Thank you so much for everyone's reply! I really appreciate it!

No need to taper indomethicin, ever.

Probably no need to taper steroids for treatments less than 2 weeks duration

Colchicine?? Available??? Word is FDA. Asked manufacturer to conduct proof of efficacy studies ( stage 1-3), to prove that it ( a medicine that Hippocrates used) .. Works.. Used to be 6 bucks for 100 tablets. Now, thanks to FDA, it is now z100 bucks for 6 tablets.

If you have enough, I'll buy all you have.

No need to taper indomethicin, ever.

Probably no need to taper steroids for treatments less than 2 weeks duration

Colchicine?? Available??? Word is FDA. Asked manufacturer to conduct proof of efficacy studies ( stage 1-3), to prove that it ( a medicine that Hippocrates used) .. Works.. Used to be 6 bucks for 100 tablets. Now, thanks to FDA, it is now z100 bucks for 6 tablets.

If you have enough, I'll buy all you have

I work for the county hospital and have colchicine on the outpatient formulary for $4. Well, all the medications have $4 copay.

Archived