We Should Be Concerned About This AMA Resolution

Guest Paula

Guest Paula
Check out my Friday Blog posted on Physicians Practice online today regarding BOT Report 16 and the AMA HOD.

http://www.physicianspractice.com/blog/ama-looks-restrict-physician-assistant-role-healthcare-teams

It will be interesting to see how the physician audience of this site responds.... :-)

Excellent response, burnpac. Nicely written. Let us know if you get a response.

Guest Paula
Any news on how this went?

The meeting is this weekend. Nearly 6000 signatures were gathered and the AFPPA sent the signatures to the AAPA representative to present to the AMA. The petition now has nearly 6,500 signatures. We are waiting for the results and response from AMA. Stay tuned and someone will post when AAPA lets us know what happened.

If the AAPA isn't "sitting on their hands," then why in the world am I only hearing about his like a week before June 15th?! This seems totally insane and packs an unreal amount of narcissism among some docs in the AMA. I didn't study or train nursing to become a PA. I studied in the MEDICAL model... which, um is studying medicine. My pathology professor in my PA program is a MD pathologist, and we went through cover to cover of Robbins, which was the exact same book Dartmouth med students went through. In fact, this professor gave us same exams as his med students. (as an illustration). I'm more and more sick to my stomach of the narcissism that we face. WE NEED TO FIND A WAY TO STAND ALONE like NPs have figured out how to do. Although it was a nice thought the physician, who was our founding father of our profession had but his own peers are way too stiff-necked.

Guest Paula

[h=5]Mary Ettari

[/h][h=5]Due to strong advocacy the BOT Report 16 was amended prior to the reference committee B. All surgery language was removed. The following groups supported referral back to the BOT. For further clarification: AAFA, ACS, MI, Great Lakes, PAC Rim, CA, FL, Young Physicians, Miss. NM, AL, Urologists. Thanks to all who supported the physician/Team. There are still some issues with physicians delegating invasive procedures. Many physicians mentioned hearing from PAs around the country about this issue. Will continue to keep you posted as things develop.[/h]

This is the post from Mary Ettari from AAPAs Facebook page

Lik

Noreaster - In case you didn't notice, the AAPA was at the table making a difference in the future of the profession. We have had observer status in the AMA House for many years, and we have many leaders and staff who, over the years, have worked tireless with the AMA leadership and delegates to advocate for the PA profession. I would hardly characterize the AAPA activity in this area as sitting on their hands....

Guest Paula

There is a critical mass happening. When over 7000 PAs and others respond to the petition in 78 hours and it can get presented to the AMA.......then we know change is coming. It is a new world out there. Medicine is changing and how we practice and collaborate is changing. AMA needs to change. AAPA is getting the idea and responded. We must not let our guard drop and still follow this resolution until it is to the liking of the 7000 PAs who signed the petition. Remember, the devil is in the details. Thanks to all who signed the petition. Thanks to all the groups who took action. I am giving credit to AFPPA and PAFT for lighting a fire under PAs and for getting this word out quickly. AFPPA got the petition started. Kudos to them.

On page 10 (number 14), you can find the amended resolution, which IMO looks 10x better than before. Changing the definition of surgery as a pandoras box that they didn't want to open, and rightfully so. There might be some issues for pain management PAs, but I'll let them comment on that since I don't know a thing about that specialty.

http://www.ama-assn.org/assets/meeting/2013a/a13-refcomm-b.pdf

There is a critical mass happening. When over 7000 PAs and others respond to the petition in 78 hours and it can get presented to the AMA.......then we know change is coming. It is a new world out there. Medicine is changing and how we practice and collaborate is changing. AMA needs to change. AAPA is getting the idea and responded. We must not let our guard drop and still follow this resolution until it is to the liking of the 7000 PAs who signed the petition. Remember, the devil is in the details. Thanks to all who signed the petition. Thanks to all the groups who took action. I am giving credit to AFPPA and PAFT for lighting a fire under PAs and for getting this word out quickly. AFPPA got the petition started. Kudos to them.

AAPA would have responded either way Paula. The difference is that AAPA is finally beginning to understand that they need to SHOW the practicing PA what they are doing and to do so in a more transparent public manner.

Also, keep in mind, it will never be completely to the liking of the 7000 PAs that signed the petition. Part of politics is compromise. You will never get everything you want or ask for. There will be negative stuff in this regardless of what we do, but if we can change a good part of it, not all of it, but a good part of it, that's a victory.

Guest Paula
AAPA would have responded either way Paula. The difference is that AAPA is finally beginning to understand that they need to SHOW the practicing PA what they are doing and to do so in a more transparent public manner.

Also, keep in mind, it will never be completely to the liking of the 7000 PAs that signed the petition. Part of politics is compromise. You will never get everything you want or ask for. There will be negative stuff in this regardless of what we do, but if we can change a good part of it, not all of it, but a good part of it, that's a victory.

Oh, I agree and I gave AAPA their due credit in an earlier post and on their Facebook page.

As always, physasst, you have the level-head :)

It is nice to see that over the past couple of years there has been a movement to more transparent forms of communication as to what the AAPA is doing for us "in the trenches" PA's. I wouldn't pinpoint one particular reason, rather an accumulation of many factors- increasing use of social media, specialty organizations stepping up to the forefront of some of these battles, and the PAFT for being more proactive in their approach. In the end, it all benefits us.

Archived