Sphygmomanometer Recommendations?

Wow! I've not heard of a program requiring a BP cuff. We bought cardio III stethoscopes and everything else was provided. You will never use your own BP cuff after you get out of your didactic year.

I'd contact your "big brother" or someone from the year ahead of you and see if you can buy one used.

My program recommends that we buy a sphygmomanometer with interchangeable cuffs (Peds, adult, large adult). The only one I can find is 150$ + (link below). Does anyone have a cheaper suggestion or is this the going rate?

http://uniformdiscount.com/Welch-Allyn-5098-30-Gold-Series-DS66-Gauge-And-Multi-Cuff-Kit.html?gclid=COCG_52AsrcCFRJp7Aod_xAANQ

I bought the expensive one. This and the stethoscope are the only things I splurged on. Everything else I'm either waiting to buy or buying as cheap as possible. However, my reasoning had more to do with liking new gadgets and wanting a trigger unit to throw in my trauma kit than really needing it. I think you can find way cheaper units that will do the job.

http://starvingmedstudent.com/blood_pressure.htm

I'm guessing your PA program didn't require any healthcare experience..

Actually the program I'm in requires extensive health care experience and requires the purchase of a ̶s̶p̶h̶y̶g̶m̶o̶m̶a̶n̶a̶n̶o̶m̶e̶t̶e̶r̶... ̶s̶p̶h̶y̶m̶a̶n̶o̶m̶o̶m̶e̶t̶e̶r̶ ... blood pressure thingy.

I bet you could share with a classmate as well. . . This just seems really weird your program would require that. Is it a new program? They should have this kind of equipment. .

My program requires the purchase of a sphygmomanometer. I could be wrong, but it may have something to do with doing volunteer work in austere conditions or at some of the more remote sites for rotations. Also, I think they said that people who purchase the gear and practice at home end up doing better on rotations (with the gear)

<edited to add another possible reason>

Archived