I will be submitting my app on monday, any last minute suggestions to my PS?

A faint knock at my door jolted me from peaceful sleep. My mother stood trembling in the doorway as she told me she was taking my father to the hospital. Her usual steady composure was absent and uneasiness overcame her as she explained my father was feeling discomfort in his arm. She assured me that it was no emergency, just a precaution. Obscured by my denials, I said my goodbyes and drifted back to sleep without giving much of a second thought.

Hours later, I received a troubling phone call. My father’s condition was not minor and, in fact, he had suffered a major heart attack. Through my mother’s sobs and whimpers, I could only understand that he was being air lifted to a hospital that was better equipped to save his life. I rushed to the hospital to find him in the intensive care unit. My eyes fixated on his heart monitor—the steady beats provided me little comfort. My father was fighting for each and every breath, and all I could do was idly watch. For weeks his condition remained stagnant, and that hospital bed continued to be his prison. A routine tracheostomy was performed, and it was then that my father passed away. His suffering ended, and he was finally at peace.

There was no greater pain than losing my father. As I struggled to come to grips with my loss tragedy struck yet again. A month before my first semester of college my own health began to deteriorate; I was in constant debilitating pain that I can only describe as feeling as though my insides were being torn out. After countless tests I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. My condition was severe enough that my doctors recommended a colectomy. Reluctant to go through with the surgery I resorted to another treatment plan, which included taking twenty-three pills daily.

Hopeful that my recovery was going well, I attended my first day of school, which ended with two paramedics hovering over me after I passed out on campus. Several subsequent visits to the hospital determined that my health was again deteriorating, which resulted in me having to withdraw from my courses. This disease had ravaged both my body and mind. I was merely a fragment of my former self; unrecognizable by loved ones. My body was weak, having lost thirty pounds in only a month, and my mind grew weary having lost hope of leading a normal life. The medication regimen I was taking began to cause an allergic reaction. After exhausting all other options, my only choice was to get the colectomy.

My illness had not only provided me with inner strength, but also a newfound interest in the medical field. As soon as I had healed from the surgery I was back at college where I concentrated heavily on science courses that could be applied universally toward a healthcare degree. It was at the University of Florida where I was exposed to a profession I was not aware of previously. Physician Assistant was not a commonly talked about profession and after discovering it, I was intrigued. As Mahatma Gandhi once said, “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” This statement truly resonated with me, and so, with a fire in my heart, I began my journey to becoming a PA. I decided to immerse myself in the field and I spent time shadowing a PA in the emergency room and at a bone marrow transplant unit. These experiences allowed me to see what PAs do on a daily basis. Having the ability to work together in a medical team is something I value. I found it invigorating that they had the ability to freely practice medicine across different specialties. I saw how the PA connected to the patients and within an instant I knew this was my calling.

As a volunteer in the emergency room I began to notice how many patients were coming in with preventable illnesses such as heart disease and diabetes. This inspired me to volunteer with an organization called CHOICES. I had the opportunity to educate the residents of Alachua County about the risks, consequences, and improvements they could make in their lives to ensure a healthy heart. Working as a patient care technician I was able to connect with patients on a deeper level. For example, I found it very rewarding connecting with the young man who was just diagnosed with Crohn’s disease and the woman who had her colon removed because of diverticulitis, and share my story with them to show there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Furthermore, managing 15-20 patients during my shift, I understood the importance of developing and maintaining an essential bedside manner with my patients as well as making their families feel comfortable when they left at night.

I would like to continue to reach out to patients, offering my own experiences as stories of hope. I feel that as a PA, I would be able to serve others in the best way I can. Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to the next phase of my training and education with great excitement and strong commitment.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived