Nontraditional PA Students

I suspect that there is no truly traditional path to becoming a PA. In my case, I took my first prereq at 51, went to PA school at 58, and graduated at 60. Got my diploma and my "Golden Buckeye" card the same year. My kids were grown at the time; my first grandchild was born during my didactic year.

I viewed the experience as a great chance to relive my college years and there were a surprising number of similarities. I couldn't pull all-nighters or party after 11, but I still was part of the social scene in my class. I felt accepted and part of the team. I view the experience as a great gift in my life and that moved me to write about it In "Old Man on Campus." (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk).

I have been in practice for 7 years; every day I know why I am doing this as a career. If you are considering making the leap, I wouldn't hesitate because you think you might be "too" anything. As they say: a ship may look great in the harbor, but it was meant for the open sea. And so are you. Sail on!

Did you face any problems during your application period because of your age? I'm 40 and currently applying and am curious about what to expect from the admissions staffs about my age. Like you I was a medic for 15 years and need to get out of the ambulance.

I got no real grief when I applied. For the most part, programs would like some diversity and someone not in their early 20s is a good start. I was asked one series of questions during my interview that went like this:

"Where would you and your family live during your didactic year?"

"I'll live in an apartment here and my wife will stay in Columbus, where she works and where our family lives."

"Do you think your marriage would suffer from the separation?"

"Well, we've been married for xx years and this wouldn't any worse than salespeople who have jobs that have them traveling all week. I will go home on the weekends when I can, and she will visit me here when she can."

That was it. I honestly don't think age was a disadvantage. I treated everyone like my equal and they did the same for me.

mbalaban, you too can do this! Good luck.

@UGolong,

Just wanted to express that you're a great source of inspiration. I'm 30, and I've been through about three degrees before finally coming across something that I feel very passionately about.

Thanks for sharing your non-traditional experiences for the rest of us out there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks UGoLong. I'm kinda expecting questions along those lines. If we don't land a spot at a local school we will be relocating (the boss is wanting to relocate anyways). We have been renting while I was in school for this very reason so moving is something we are wanting to do and looking forward to. The boss is an interventional xray tech so getting a job won't be an issue either. :D Thank for the encouragement!

Excerpt from Old Man on Campus:

Our dissection book explains the mechanics of what we’ll be doing. We’ll start by studying the many layers of back muscles, as well as vertebrae, ribs, nerves, and blood vessels. First, though, we’ve got to get past the process of removing some skin. We follow the book’s instructions about how to hold a scalpel. The text admonishes us to just “rest your hand comfortably on the body.” OK, now we look professional, maybe, but no one knows exactly how we’re supposed to make the first cut. Clearly it’s time for some veteran leadership, which Team George is especially fortunate to have.

“Madeline, how do we get started?” someone asks.

“I don’t know,” she replies in a disinterested tone, shrugging her shoulders. “Just cut.”

A year removed from making her own first cut, Madeline doesn’t seem all that interested in helping us neophytes along. I suspect she just wants to get out of here, rejoin her own class, and start her life. The rest of us are beginning to doubt that her guidance is going be our ace in the hole this summer.

With no help coming our way and a scalpel already in my hand, I decide to break the ice. The skin looks like vinyl, is stiffer than living tissue, and appears to be about an eighth of an inch thick. Cutting the first few inches feels very strange from an emotional perspective, but, physically, it’s like cutting into a leather sofa.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Archived