MUSC Probationary Status

From their website:

"The primary reasons for the probationary status revolve about administrative policies and processes for self-assessment including the implementation of continuous quality improvement processes. In particular, ARC-PA focused its critique on inadequate analysis of data on program and student success, and use of these data for evidence-based improvements in the curriculum and program. We acknowledge that we can substantially improve in this area and vow to redouble our efforts to meet accreditation standards and to maintain our position as one the best PA educational programs in the country."

Well, I guess I would think long and hard about how I feel about the school. I looked at the website and it does look like they are making an effort to make adjustments to the program, that the PANCE rate is still high, and that at least they seem to be open and honest about why they were put on probation (not always the case with schools). From my understanding though, the classes that have already started will be able to graduate and sit for the PANCE, but I don't think that's the case for the class you're applying for. Also, I don't know if Malcolm x in Chicago was an exception, but late into applications they actually decided not to admit students for that year to revamp the program.

I to was wanting to apply to the program until this happened.....From what I have researched, here are my conclusion. They will be reviewed again in March 2015. If your applying this year, that means they will be reviewed during your 1st year as a PA student. If they loose their accreditation during the review of March 2015.....the students enrolled during that year are not allowed to sit the PANCE, and are basically out the 30k they spent on first year tuition. If however, they get their accreditation back everything is ok and students are permitted to sit the PANCE. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but this is what I have gathered...pretty big risk if you ask me....

This is the response I got from the NCCPA about applying to and attending MUSC.

Thank you for your e-mail. Probation is an active accreditation status and those entering a program that is on probation are entering a program that is accredited. In the past, NCCPA allowed graduates to sit for PANCE as long as the program from which they graduated was accredited at any point during the students' enrollment. This policy changed in 2003, and in order to be eligible to take the PANCE, students must successfully complete a program that was accredited at the time the student matriculated. If the program remains on probation or is removed from probation and granted full accreditation by the time of your graduation, you would be graduating from an accredited program.

To view more details regarding the Accreditation Review Commission on Education of the Physician Assistant and the process click the following link: http://arc-pa.org/faq/students.html#prov.

Archived