Naval Reserve PA

I am looking to re-affiliate with the Navy. I graduated in 2009 from Tx Tech University. I have been working primarily in orthopedic surgery and some ER. Was hoping someone who is currently in the Navy reserves could shed some light on the current deployment rate of Reserve PA's. I meet with a recruiter on Monday to discuss DCO school, rank, loan repayment, deployment rates, etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

RaiderPA- I am also considering the Navy Reserves. I'm far from that goal (still a pre-PA), however, I am curious as to the workings of a Naval Reserve PA in the Medical Service Corps. I have thought about it since a friend, in passing, stated some information on military opportunities. Now, I have never served in the military and I will probably be 32-33 years old once I graduate. I have looked at the Navy Reserve website but still have some questions and since you spoke with a recruiter, you may have most/all the answers. Please forgive any ignorance as this is the first time I am considering this option.

1. I thought that I would have to go through OCS, but that might only be for active duty personnel only -- I'm not sure. If I am a PA grad, no prior military experience, and looking into the reserves, is Direct Commissioned Officer school the only route? I of course would like to be commissioned as an officer upon entering.
  2. When you graduate and become a commissioned officer and a reserve PA, I understand that approximately 1 weekend per month and 2 weeks per year will be spent doing drills. Is this at one location or are there multiple places you can go to get this done?
  3. I understand that in order to be a commissioned officer in the reserves, 2-8 years of service is usually required. Is that dependent upon your occupation, ranking or other variables?
  4. Again, forgive my ignorance but I would like to join the Navy Reserve Medical Service Corps. as a PA as a supplement to my daily life...is that how it works? In other words, once I finish PA school and become commissioned as an officer through DCO or OCS or w/e else, can I go and find a regular job(s) and have a "civilian" life in the meantime? What happens if 6 months into my new job, the Navy calls me up and wants me to deploy...what will most likely happen with the job(s), would it be available when I come back? How have other medical practitioners in the Navy Reserves go about this?
  5. You mentioned above that for every one year you're deployed, you can stay stateside for 5 years. So how exactly does this work? You deploy for one year, come back, spend 5 years in the states, maybe working a regular job as an Emergency Medicine PA at a hospital for example. Then after 5 years, if the Navy calls you again for deployment, you drop everything and deploy for another year? What about your job stateside? Do employers have any special arrangements/contracts with military reserve personnel when it comes to this?
  6. Admittedly, one of the reasons I am interested in doing this is because of the financial help. I understand that you can choose up to $50K in grad school loan repayments, up to $30K in specialty pay or a one time sign-on bonus of up to $10K. Naturally, for me, up to $50K in grad school loan repayments seems to be the most desirable choice. As a reserve PA, are these three the only financial incentives or do you get paid in addition to this? Are you getting a regular pay year-round for being in the reserves, or only when you deploy or do your monthly and annual drills? What is the pay like?
  7. Finally, I know most active duty personnel can retire and collect military pension after 20 years of service. Does this apply to reserve officers as well? and how is that calculated? Years of service, rank, occupation?

Apologies for the long post, but there is so much information and I want to make sure I understand it correctly. Thanks for your time!

RaiderPA- I am also considering the Navy Reserves. I'm far from that goal (still a pre-PA), however, I am curious as to the workings of a Naval Reserve PA in the Medical Service Corps. I have thought about it since a friend, in passing, stated some information on military opportunities. Now, I have never served in the military and I will probably be 32-33 years old once I graduate. I have looked at the Navy Reserve website but still have some questions and since you spoke with a recruiter, you may have most/all the answers. Please forgive any ignorance as this is the first time I am considering this option.I think the cut off for commissioning is 41. So, you should be good afrter graduation.

1. I thought that I would have to go through OCS, but that might only be for active duty personnel only -- I'm not sure. If I am a PA grad, no prior military experience, and looking into the reserves, is Direct Commissioned Officer school the only route? I of course would like to be commissioned as an officer upon entering. If you go to active duty without prior service OCS is the choice. If wanting to stay Reserve DCO is the way (regardless of prior active duty service).
  2. When you graduate and become a commissioned officer and a reserve PA, I understand that approximately 1 weekend per month and 2 weeks per year will be spent doing drills. Is this at one location or are there multiple places you can go to get this done? Yes, the annual requirements are one weekend a month (drill) and 2 weeks a year (AT or annual training). Your Drill is in one location, AT can be at serveral location. you do fill out a dream sheet of locations, but at the end of the day it is where the Navy needs and wants you.
  3. I understand that in order to be a commissioned officer in the reserves, 2-8 years of service is usually required. Is that dependent upon your occupation, ranking or other variables? For PA's the initial obligation is 3 years. they give rank according to years of experience. 0-2yrs would come in as an O-1 (ensin), 2-4yrs O-2 (LTJG), O-3 (LT) >4 yrs, O-4 (LCDR) >10 yrs.
  4. Again, forgive my ignorance but I would like to join the Navy Reserve Medical Service Corps. as a PA as a supplement to my daily life...is that how it works? In other words, once I finish PA school and become commissioned as an officer through DCO or OCS or w/e else, can I go and find a regular job(s) and have a "civilian" life in the meantime? What happens if 6 months into my new job, the Navy calls me up and wants me to deploy...what will most likely happen with the job(s), would it be available when I come back? How have other medical practitioners in the Navy Reserves go about this?Yes, you can have a regular job. There is a federal law in place to protect your job if deployed. Your employer has to maintain a position for you in the same compasity as you held before being deployed. (example if you are in Orthopedic and get deployed, they could place you back in Ortho or could move you to a different specialty, but you would maintain your postion).
  5. You mentioned above that for every one year you're deployed, you can stay stateside for 5 years. So how exactly does this work? You deploy for one year, come back, spend 5 years in the states, maybe working a regular job as an Emergency Medicine PA at a hospital for example. Then after 5 years, if the Navy calls you again for deployment, you drop everything and deploy for another year? What about your job stateside? Do employers have any special arrangements/contracts with military reserve personnel when it comes to this?The deployments are 6months in length. Can be up to 1 year depending who you are assigned to. They have billets for Navy, Army, and Marines. As far as your job see pervious post.
  6. Admittedly, one of the reasons I am interested in doing this is because of the financial help. I understand that you can choose up to $50K in grad school loan repayments, up to $30K in specialty pay or a one time sign-on bonus of up to $10K. Naturally, for me, up to $50K in grad school loan repayments seems to be the most desirable choice. As a reserve PA, are these three the only financial incentives or do you get paid in addition to this? Are you getting a regular pay year-round for being in the reserves, or only when you deploy or do your monthly and annual drills? What is the pay like? The loan repayment and bonus pay is selected on entry. You can only select one. You do get paid monthly for your drill and at the end of your AT. If deployed you are placed on active duty and receive all benefits of an active duty officer. Your pay is determined by rank and years in grade (example O-3 at 4 years gets approx. $600 for his drill weekend and $3000 for his AT) You can find out what your pay would be by googlng Navy pay scale and looking for rank and years in grade and that will give you the monthly base pay.
  7. Finally, I know most active duty personnel can retire and collect military pension after 20 years of service. Does this apply to reserve officers as well? and how is that calculated? Years of service, rank, occupation? Yes Reserve Officers also qualify for retirement. They use a formula to calculate your percentage of pay, the percentage increases with years of service and "good years" of reserve time. This too can be googled.

Apologies for the long post, but there is so much information and I want to make sure I understand it correctly. Thanks for your time!

Hope this helps! will let you know if I find out anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to resurrect this post in the hopes that I can add a couple of questions, as opposed to starting a new thread.

As a little bit of background, I spent 15 years in the Marine Corps as a grunt, mostly in the reserves. My goal of returning to military service is to at the very least finish out my 20, or until I get kicked out or decide to retire.

I am almost done with the process of becoming a Navy Reserve PA. I've passed credentialing, physical is done, completed all the required interviews, and my package will be submitted next week. My recruiter has been doing a good job of trying to answers most of my questions, but has come up short in other areas. I'm hoping to have then answered here.

1. From my understanding, I will be assigned to the NOSC here in Phoenix, but have not be given a specific billet or responsibilities. I have a trauma/EM background, so I'm hoping that I will be used in that capacity. What is the usual role that PA's play during a drill weekend?

2. Having spent 15 years in the Corps, my goal is to serve on the green side. How easy is it to transfer units, or be assigned to a Marine battalion?

3. I was offered an emergency medicine residency position at the University of Iowa, but had to turn it down due to family and monetary obligations. Since I'd be making active duty pay with BAH etc... I could afford to complete the EM residency program in San Diego. Are reserve PA's eligible for that residency position?

4. I know with things winding down in Afghanistan, deployments there are dwindling. What other overseas deployment opportunities exist? And are AT's set by the command, or do we as PA's have some say in where we go?

Thanks for any insight

Semper fidelis, Semper fortis, Non sibi sed patriae

• 2 weeks later...

SemperPA

I am currently in process to become a Navy Reserve PA. I go to MEPS for my physical on Monday. I haven't hear anything about the interviews yet. How many did you have to do? What was it like? Any advice?

To answer your questions:

1. The role is dependent on duty station. Is there a hospital on the reserve station close to you?

2. I would think it would be pretty easy to get back with the Marines. When I talked to the current director of Navy Reserve PA medicine they have expeditionary billets.

3. I would think we would be eligible for any school the active duty guy is qualified for.

4. They are still going to afghan. New is Horn of Africa, army units, SF units, ships (comfort /mercy). AT you fill out a dream sheet, but at the end of the day it is where the Navy needs you.

Not sure this helps. If I hear anything else I will be sure to pass it on to you.

SemperPA/RaiderPA,

I just moved back to CA from Phoenix so I might be able to provide you with a little insight even though I'm a Corpsman and not a PA. The Phoenix NOSC is brand new and while it has some medical spaces (exam rooms, dental, immunizations, blood draws) it is far from a MTF or hospital. I had a few of my Seabees go down for one reason or another and I ended up taking them to a local ER for treatment. The medical providers on site are generally seeing Sailors for their yearly health assessment and signing off on medical waivers, doing post deployment screenings, etc.

When you get on post at Luke you can always stop by the Marine Corps Reserve Center (directly to the East of the NOSC) and speak with someone regarding an FMF billet. Not sure, but they may be able to put you in contact with the right person or at least describe the process.

I believe the EM residency at Balboa only accepts two students per year, not sure if you can be Reserve or not. I think one of the requirements is that you've practiced within the Navy for two full years. If you did get it, you would be assigned to either a SF or FMF unit upon completion.

RaiderPA,

I had to pass two interviews, one with an O-4 or above from the same unit that you'l be applying to, and another with an O-4 or above in the same specialty you're going into. I happened to interview with one of the ER docs I work with, and with one of the White House Medical Officers (PA). Given my background, both were simple check in the box type affairs.

Friction, thanks for the info.

Archived