2013 UPAP Application

• 2 weeks later...

Rcreek. Your an advanced emt in WJ? Who do you run with? What agency?

I don't run with a fire dept., I'm an ER Tech. The emergency department I work in requires that we are certified to at least the Advanced EMT level. I have worked some other jobs as an EMT before that, but never on a rig.

On the website, it says the average accepted individual has more than 5000 hours of healthcare experience.  I personally exceed this amount.  But, I believe the school can miss out on some good people due to focusing too much on this criteria.  Either way, good luck to everyone.

On the website, it says the average accepted individual has more than 5000 hours of healthcare experience.  I personally exceed this amount.  But, I believe the school can miss out on some good people due to focusing too much on this criteria.  Either way, good luck to everyone.

At the time of my application I think I had about 4,500. But I wonder if they ever accept any who just barely meet the 2,000 hr minimum. UPAP used to be a MEDEX program, and MEDEX currently has a 4,000 hour minimum.

I am actually glad that this program values HCE so highly. There are many who don't and are on the opposite extreme by accepting students with very little experience at all. I think that is a detriment to the PA profession.

I really feel that the program does their best to accept well-rounded applicants. Of course with high numbers of applicants they have no choice but to first look at key quantitative measures like HCE hours and GPA. Qualitative evaluation starts with the personal narrative and letters of rec, but really begins and ends with the actual interview process - of which UPAP probably has one of the most extensive and grueling. I'm staying hopeful!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived