Trying to get some insight into the profession.

I am preparing for a PA school interview and just wanted to pick the brains of those who are currently working or have worked in the field.

When searching the thread for any downsides to the career the one I seem to see the most is not having as much independence as you would like. However, I'm looking for what else might cause the most stress during your day?

Is the hardest part of your job the paperwork, trying to get patients to adhere to treatment plans, fighting with insurance companies about what treatments/test they will or will not cover even though your patient needs it, etc? And how does this compare to the upsides of the career? Do you feel satisfied and happy with your career for a majority of the time even though there are several stressful situations that you will most likely encounter in one day?

Major downside is the lack of professional respect from some of my peers. But the docs I work closely with are great. I get to do what I want - I'm in urgent care and assist in surgeries. Plus I have time for my hobbies (pre-hospital EMS).

The struggles we deal with - patient compliance, paperwork/prior authorizations - all pale in comparison to the benefits of doing what we do. It's among the best jobs on the planet. Very rewarding. Do some more searching as there are many threads dealing with the innumerable benefits of being a PA.

Andrew

Is the hardest part of your job the paperwork, trying to get patients to adhere to treatment plans, fighting with insurance companies about what treatments/test they will or will not cover even though your patient needs it, etc?

Yes, on a daily basis. Having said that I have never regretted becoming a PA. There are times when things happen that will put you on a tremendous high and things that will haunt you for the rest of your life.

You have my curiosity what do you mean by 'haunt'?

PAs deal with people and sometimes in spite of everyone's best efforts things go bad. Sometimes it might be that patient you saw in clinic and that night you wake up wondering if maybe you missed something and get up and start reading. Or you are doing a well child check on a beautiful baby and realize it is doomed when you see the s(*t for brains parents. Maybe it is the 4 y/o that you have seen for all of its healthcare since she came home from the hospital and during a routine exam mom mentions the she has gotten clumsy recently. You do a stat referral and 2 days later she is dx'd with a glioblastoma. Six mos later mom thanks you for all you did and invites you to the child's funeral. PAs don't make widgets.

PAs deal with people and sometimes in spite of everyone's best efforts things go bad. Sometimes it might be that patient you saw in clinic and that night you wake up wondering if maybe you missed something and get up and start reading. Or you are doing a well child check on a beautiful baby and realize it is doomed when you see the s(*t for brains parents. Maybe it is the 4 y/o that you have seen for all of its healthcare since she came home from the hospital and during a routine exam mom mentions the she has gotten clumsy recently. You do a stat referral and 2 days later she is dx'd with a glioblastoma. Six mos later mom thanks you for all you did and invites you to the child's funeral. PAs don't make widgets.
I understand at least it shows you are only human as opposed to being immune/invincible/complacent to medicine.

Archived