Penn State PA program

I interviewed with Penn State yesterday (10 October) and the experience was great. I didn't think it possible but my #1 choice had definitely been changed. The faculty was amazing. The students seemed very happy with their decision. This program exceeded my expectations. I am really excited to hear back from them. Wish me luck!!!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I concur. I went into the interview expecting to be impressed, and I was blown away--especially by the quality and commitment of every single faculty I met. Top notch facilities, local rotations, enthusiastic first cohort. Make no mistake, Chris and her team are what gave DeSales its '#1 pance rate in the country' status. I wouldn't hesitate for a second, should I be so lucky to be offered a seat here. Good luck to all, and let me know if anyone discovers a medication that would allow me to sleep away the next 30 days! :-p.

I concur. I went into the interview expecting to be impressed, and I was blown away--especially by the quality and commitment of every single faculty I met. Top notch facilities, local rotations, enthusiastic first cohort. Make no mistake, Chris and her team are what gave DeSales its '#1 pance rate in the country' status. I wouldn't hesitate for a second, should I be so lucky to be offered a seat here. Good luck to all, and let me know if anyone discovers a medication that would allow me to sleep away the next 30 days! :-p.

Try waiting 50 days for a decision! Every other school I've interviewed at after, I keep thinking "this is nice, but not as impressive as penn state."

I am disappointed that our interview session in August did not include the opportunity to participate in classroom sessions or see the cadaver lab. Maybe this is something that was added based on feedback?

To those of you who have interviewed and are waiting to hear back, just an FYI that myself and another interviewee from early August are still waiting. We likely think that this unfortunately means we did not get in but just wanted people to know that it has been more than the one month that was promised.

PS- To be clear, interviewees are not guaranteed a TBL session. If the interview day falls on a TBL day, it seems folks are getting to check that out. In our case, it was ethics in the afternoon, so we attended that one. I imagine if it's anatomy lab day, one might not get to go to a class at all. No idea, but the schedule does seem variable. Also, we were told "about a month" on the decision and that if we had other pending offers to please call them to "fast track" the decision. It seems they're really trying to work with us, which hopefully helps us to stay patient. Good luck all!

For anyone interested - I just came across a great article (http://www.witf.org/news/2014/10/how-pas-are-re-shaping-health-care.php) that will help educate patients on the PA's role in healthcare.  The article features input from Chris Bruce (Penn State's program director) and a PA from the family and community medicine division of Penn State Hershey Medical Group.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone interviewed over a month ago and still not heard back?   I've contacted them via phone and email and nothing.   They preach good communication to applicants, but I feel like I'm following through the cracks :-/   

That sounds really frustrating.  Did you speak to someone on the phone?  What did they say?  It sounds like even worse than communication is delivering on set expectations.  I'm hoping you hear very soon!

I did, sent you more details PM. The expectation of hearing a decision quickly and then not is definitely more frustrating then knowing up front it could be a long while to hear back!

Hi fakingpatience - I hate to hear that you feel we've not communicated with you post-interview. I do try to keep open lines with all candidates every step of the way. At present, if you've not yet heard from us, please PM or email me at psupaprogram@hmc.psu.edu and I will communicate where things stand with our program. Caryn

I have a question for current students and maybe admissions.  As I understand, the current (and first) class is set to begin the clinical phase of the program in summer term of 2015.  As an applicant, I would normally be nervous that the first couple classes will be essentially testing out new rotation sites as they become established.  However, I understand Chris and her team are highly experienced and have worked in PA education in the surrounding area for some time.  So my question is, what has PSU done to develop an excellent rotation experience (not just location but communication and training of clinical faculty supervisors) while minimizing the amount of trial-and-error to be done by a newer program.  Have the rotation sites been used before, by other programs?  Have the clinical faculty taken on PA students before?  Or are the clinical rotation sites brand new to PA education in this regard?  How does the PA program ensure quality clinical experience the first few times around?  It would be really helpful to hear any thoughts or discussion that might illuminate the groundwork that's being set for clinical rotation and instill confidence in applicants to such a promising and academically impressive program.  Thank you!

Zoopeda,

Your concern is a very good one. One in which many of us in the first year at Penn State had to consider before accepting. The best way to put it, is that there are many "in house" rotations going to be offered at HMC. As Im sure you know, this a very established Medical School, and tertiary teaching hospital. The MDs and PAs that are going to be preceptors for US and the MD students have had plenty of experience. After all, this is a teaching hospital. HMC has been allowing PA rotations for numerous years to numerous schools. Once it was known that Penn State would have its very own PA program, there was a lot of interest by many to precept us. We have actually had multiple guest lecturers who have told us how excited they are to help precept us during certain rotations. And after meeting some of them, they are very high quality. Chris Bruce and her team have been around the block long enough to know who to choose, and who will help make us the best clinicians.

In addition to HMC, there are multiple local and rural hospitals and clinics in which we will have an opportunity to clerkship. Many of these institutions have also been accepting PA rotations from other schools for some time now. Of course, Chris Bruce is very energetic and always trying to open knew doors of opportunities. This could potentially mean that there might be a rural family medicine clinic, or new location which has accepted a PA rotation for the first time. But remember, Chris is very meticulous, and will only select preceptors that will aid us appropriately in our training.

Please remember, every school in the nation is continually trying to open up knew sites and rotations to better aid their student rotations. Some of these sites have "veteran" preceptors. Some may have never precepted before. Its part of the continual expansion of the PA education throughout the nation. So my main goal in replying to you today is to help put your mind at ease.

If you have any further questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

PA-S1

Penn State College of Medicine

PA Program 

Thank you so much for the thoughtful response!  I don't mean to come off as concerned.  It's just that, while I am extremely impressed by the academic faculty and by Chris-Caryn-Dr Jones' track record at DeSales, the clinical year remains the only part of the program that's yet to be unveiled.  It would be irresponsible of me NOT to inquire into this aspect, so I'm really grateful for your first-hand feedback as a current student.  Some huge things you mentioned that really do assure me that I'm making the right choice at Penn State: tertiary teaching hospital with in-house rotations, local rotations (easier to keep an eye on and maintain rapport), Chris' attention to detail and proven experience setting up quality rotations, and the obvious enthusiasm the HMS has for embracing the PA program and students.  It is interesting to note that an applicant could potentially attend the oldest PA program in the country but possible end up in a brand new rotation at that school.  It seems an easy leap of faith to accept that the resource pool at the school of medicine must flow into the PA program as well.  There's obviously some apprehension applying to any new program, but I am excited to be thinking this through with you.  Thank you for your feedback, and more thoughts are welcome and encouraged! 

anybody interviewing 11/18? EXTREMELY nervous about this!! probably more than any other interview this year. I know they're really laid back and I shouldn't be nervous but it is inevitable! I know they honor their Jan deadline, I just hope an interview invite this late isn't necessarily a bad thing!

It is not. I interviewed at this time last year and thought the class was full. I was very wrong.

Just relax and be yourself! Your skills and accomplishments got you the interview! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I am anxiously awaiting to hear from Penn State Hershey in regard to my application.  I received the confirmation e-mail July 21 and sent in my supplemental application about a week or so later.  I attended the information session on September 30th and completely fell in love with this school.  Everything from the location to the learning techniques and the local rotations felt like a perfect fit for me.  I've been in contact with Caryn about new hours and updated transcripts, but I haven't heard anything in regard to my application status.  Does anyone else have a similar timeline who has not yet heard?

CASPA Verified: July 21, 2014

Confirmation from Hershey (Including Supplemental): August 7

Thanks for any help/reassurance! And best of luck to everyone!

--Teresa

Archived