Penn State PA program

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, I was wondering how long people had to wait to hear back after the interview. My fiancé has an interview about a week before I have to submit my requests for my clinical year. If he is going to be attending penn state (fingers crossed) I will request to be as close to the school as possible. 

Several people have reported hearing acceptance news in as soon as one week. I get the impression that if you're high on their list post/interview, you get a quick call. Some others need more time (even months according to one poster). And then there's always possible spring acceptances off the wait list. There's just no way to know for sure, but Chris did mention if you have other offers, they can potentially speed up your decision. Might be worth mentioning? Good luck!

I GOT ACCEPTED!!! UGH SO EXCITED! Now i gotta tell my other school I will not be attending! So excited! This is such an honor! Any facebook groups or anything created yet??

Congrats! They do have a great program.

Per an earlier post in this thread, from the program, "... Penn State will invite all accepted students to a 'private network' via Penn State's yammer system so that you can begin to connect with other accepted students and your future classmates. We anticipate having this live shortly - be on the lookout for an e-invite to your email address we've been using during the admissions process.".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was accepted and am matriculating this May 2015!! 

cGPA: 3.59

sGPA: 3.68

BA in English Literature

GRE: 1350 (old version)

HCE: 2500 hrs as an ED Tech and 80 hrs volunteering in a hospital

For those of you who are interested, I am starting a blog about my experiences at Penn State.  I plan to post there twice a week.  Until I matriculate, I am writing advice posts on how to get accepted into PA school.  I applied to 9 programs, got interview offers to 4 (I applied late in the summer), accepted interview offers at 3, and was offered admission to all 3 programs.

Check out my blog:

PAjourney.com

Hello all,

Congrats on all of your acceptances! I have an interview for January 16 and was wondering if anyone was willing to comment. I saw that there was a patient interview and writing sample in the interview and had not had these in an interview before. Also, is this a traditional one on one or the MMI format?

Thanks very much!

Hello all,

Congrats on all of your acceptances! I have an interview for January 16 and was wondering if anyone was willing to comment. I saw that there was a patient interview and writing sample in the interview and had not had these in an interview before. Also, is this a traditional one on one or the MMI format?

Thanks very much!

If you read back through this forum thread over the last 4-5 months of posts, you'll get a number of applicants' comments about the interview process.  

The patient interview was a fun part for me; there's no MMI, there were multiple one-on-ones; and I really appreciated being able to type my responses to the timed writing exercise (I hate writing by hand! & contrary to one earlier post, it is timed - you have 30 minutes to type then print short responses to a few questions).  I am surprised you haven't to had to do some sort of writing exercise in a previous interview; I've had to in almost every interview that I've had (GWU being the exception s they rely on the MMI).  

Good luck!  It's an impressive program.  

The pt interview was incredibly comfortable and enjoyable. It's just an average Joe to chat with about your goals and background and dreams of becoming a pa. The written part is thought provoking ethics and professionalism based stuff. No right answers; they want to see how you think and articulate under in a set (fleeting!) amount of time. No mmi. Best interview experience of the four I had, by far.

I was accepted and am matriculating this May 2015!! 

cGPA: 3.59

sGPA: 3.68

BA in English Literature

GRE: 1350 (old version)

HCE: 2500 hrs as an ED Tech and 80 hrs volunteering in a hospital

For those of you who are interested, I am starting a blog about my experiences at Penn State.  I plan to post there twice a week.  Until I matriculate, I am writing advice posts on how to get accepted into PA school.  I applied to 9 programs, got interview offers to 4 (I applied late in the summer), accepted interview offers at 3, and was offered admission to all 3 programs.

Check out my blog:

PAjourney.com

Buy a tearproof keyboard cover for posts starting ahh... May 25 and later (joke)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heyyyyyy Penn State!
I'm beyond thrilled to matriculate in May; I can hardly wait.  But with that excitement grows a terror that I'm about to exchange a reasonably happy and comfortable life for the most brutal curriculum I could imagine.  How's everyone hanging in there?  How do you cope?  Beyond the typical "get exercise, eat well" what are the big tips for success?  I'm certain I want to become a PA.  I'm certain Penn State is the place for me.  If a current student wants to share advice for how to both survive the mentally as well as succeed overall in Penn State's PA-year-1, I am alllllllll ears.  Thank you, and see you soon! 

Zoopeda,

Hello! Good to hear from you. We are anxiously awaiting your arrival in 5-6 short weeks. We have a lot of events planned to introduce our class to your class (some of them you know about, some of them we're keeping a secret). And yes, most of us have been in the library.....a lot. But hey, that's what we signed up for.

I would be lying to you if I told you that learning medicine was easy. It is extremely hard, but if it was easy, anyone would be able to become a PA. Trust that you were chosen for a reason (many reasons, actually) and that your knowledge will guide you into and through your didactic year. I like to think back on the quote "nothing in life worth having comes easy". I don't think there is anyone out there that would say PA school is easy, because if they did, they didn't get a very good education.

As far as coping, I think we all have developed our own strategies. Spending time with classmates is very important to me and I think the same is true for a lot of other people in the program. Although you don't want to hear it, exercise works for a LOT of us. There a solid 10-15 of us who are frequently in the gym working out or running. I've personally mastered the ability to study while logging miles on the tread mill. Another thing I do is take a walk around the hospital a few times during the day. Seeing the patients reminds me about the bigger picture and why I am here....it is very refreshing. Hearing the helicopter land while you are studying also really puts things in perspective as well.

Keep chugging on the language of medicine, and try to relax! You will be fine and we will be there to help you through it once you get here.

Remember, the roads are many, the obstacles are tall, but the end result makes the difficult days worth it.

-your future colleague

• 4 months later...

Archived