Penn State PA program

Fellow Classmates (All those who have been accepted to Penn State). I am going to start a Facebook Group, but I need at least 1 of you to add me as a friend so I can create the group. Please find me on FB and add me. And then I will start the process! Thanks

Brett Bird, Westminster College, Salt Lake City, UT

bab0818@westminstercollege.edu

Hey Brett,

I was talking to Yvonne n she told me you got into Penn State lol i also work at ARUP, manual endocrinology II

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hmmmm, sounds like someone wants to move up the waiting list, eh Freudian_Slip?

You have a brand new profile, and you have posted this same BS in another thread.

Penn State is a major teaching hospital system and you have nothing to back up your claim. Nice try, you lose.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I heard this program might not even make it through it's first year. I too thought the interview process was nice, but after talking to some insiders.. their accreditation doesn't look like it will hold through the year. This doesn't happen often, but from what I understand they aren't meeting certain codes and everyone who attends might be completely s*it out of luck come next year. Its a risk you have to take with a completely new program though. I'm not telling anyone anything to do but I'm going to withdraw my acceptance. Just a word of advice. Good luck to everyone. 

Through the ARC-PA, the Physician Assistant Program at Penn State College of Medicine has received the highest accreditation granted to new programs. The Penn State community is anxiously awaiting the arrival of our inaugural class.

Freudian_Slip, I am unsure of the intent of your post as your assessment of our accreditation and admissions offer are inaccurate.

At present, Penn State has no outstanding admission offers on the table. If there is anything you'd like to discuss, please feel free to contact the Program directly. We would be glad to speak with you.  

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask how you know seats are filled? There were 2 interview sessions in January and said we wouldn't hear back for about a month.

Yes. This person doesn't even have their app IN yet. If you already interviewed this month, you might have a snowball's chance of getting in. 30 seats, 1500+ applicants, most submitted last summer/fall.

Schools have rolling admission, but they fill disproportionately at the earliest application openings.

Do the math.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

Through the ARC-PA, the Physician Assistant Program at Penn State College of Medicine has received the highest accreditation granted to new programs. The Penn State community is anxiously awaiting the arrival of our inaugural class.

Freudian_Slip, I am unsure of the intent of your post as your assessment of our accreditation and admissions offer are inaccurate.

At present, Penn State has no outstanding admission offers on the table. If there is anything you'd like to discuss, please feel free to contact the Program directly. We would be glad to speak with you.  

Just want I heard sorry if it was offensive.

How do you know this? Are you sure?

Guys, c'mon! Why are you doing this to yourself? There is a representative (actually seems like an adcom director) logged to this forum. Pennstate website has their phone - just call and ask your questions. I am 100% sure they will address all of your concerns. They were very open with all of us during this cycle and went an extra step to even address the rumors posted here. 

I read that as they have not extended any offers of acceptance that have not been answered, indicating that Freudian_Slip's comment that (s)he would be rejecting their offer was not true.  I could be reading that wrong, but I don't think we have enough information to confidently say the class is full.  Often, schools will purposefully retain a few seats until after the application deadline, despite interviewing and extending offers throughout, for the candidates that submitted their applications later.  I don't know if that is true in Penn State's case, but I prefer to remain optimistic.

I read that as they have not extended any offers of acceptance that have not been answered, indicating that Freudian_Slip's comment that (s)he would be rejecting their offer was not true.  I could be reading that wrong, but I don't think we have enough information to confidently say the class is full.  Often, schools will purposefully retain a few seats until after the application deadline, despite interviewing and extending offers throughout, for the candidates that submitted their applications later.  I don't know if that is true in Penn State's case, but I prefer to remain optimistic.

During the interview process we were told that PennState would never do an interview "for the spot in a wait list" and they would reserve the seats till the end of the app cycle/interview dates. They were very open about that policy together with the extended time for decision making. That for me personally added to the attractiveness of the program. I was a victim of the above practice in this app cycle. Coming to the interview to find out that the class is full and you would have a chance to get in only if someone would give up their seat. Yikes!!!

During the interview process we were told that PennState would never do an interview "for the spot in a wait list" and they would reserve the seats till the end of the app cycle/interview dates. They were very open about that policy together with the extended time for decision making. That for me personally added to the attractiveness of the program. I was a victim of the above practice in this app cycle. Coming to the interview to find out that the class is full and you would have a chance to get in only if someone would give up their seat. Yikes!!!

Agree. I've interviewed at a program before where I was told during the interview that the class was full, but that routinely pull from the wait list. It wasn't a good feeling. Penn State's approach and their openness about that approach was both refreshing and appealing. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting, I've been there. Keep working and keep your head up. There is a lot to be said about persistence in the face of adversity :)

Penn State’s PA Program has intentionally honored the application deadline of January 15th which is the application deadline we ourselves set. Although we employ a rolling admissions process, seats remain open until all candidates who have met our deadline have received a fair review.

We are not interviewing candidates for seats on our waiting list. All candidates invited to interview have a legitimate chance of securing one of the 30 seats.  Although this is an inaugural class that Penn State is recruiting, the faculty and staff of Penn State’s PA program are not new to PA education. We are committed to having a program based upon transparency and integrity.

When we tell our applicants that their file will be reviewed upon receipt of their secondary application, we actually review the file and meet as a group to decide on who we will be bringing in for an interview.

Currently, seats in Penn State’s inaugural PA class remain available. Our faculty and staff continue to review applications from those candidates who met our stated application deadline.

As we have previously posted, please feel free to contact us directly with any additional questions.
Chris Bruce, PA-C
Program Director

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is anyone considering this school?  I'm reading and hearing excellent things about their director, vision, and prospects.  The fact that they're director is a PA but the program is linked into the med school is encouraging.  Any insights on the type of curriculum they use (systems based vs traditional fragmented)?  Courses taken with MD students or separate?  They currently have provisional accreditation, meaning that as long as they pass during their next reassessment (2016), graduates will be able to sit for PA-C licensure.  Anyone been there this year?  Applying?  First interview invitations go out yet?  I'm curious!

Is anyone considering this school?  I'm reading and hearing excellent things about their director, vision, and prospects.  The fact that they're director is a PA but the program is linked into the med school is encouraging.  Any insights on the type of curriculum they use (systems based vs traditional fragmented)?  Courses taken with MD students or separate?  They currently have provisional accreditation, meaning that as long as they pass during their next reassessment (2016), graduates will be able to sit for PA-C licensure.  Anyone been there this year?  Applying?  First interview invitations go out yet?  I'm curious!

I just submitted my CASPA and am applying to Penn State!  Don't know any of the answers to your questions though, sorry

I applied! The direction they're going seems awesome. The director used to be the director at DeSales, actually. I shadowed a PA-C that knows her and said she's wonderful. The curriculum on the website does not appear to be systems-based, but I heard that it will be very integrated, i.e. learning certain anatomy in the morning and then going to the cadaver lab in the afternoon. I don't think they're doing interviews until Sept, but I can't wait to hear back from them!

Archived