class of 2013

Hey Justin, 1st of all thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, it means alot to me and im sure to the rest of my future classmates. Question for you how intense was the clinical terminology test that wer are studying for now. ANy tips? I have been reading each chapter and just trying to memorize all the different terms, but i have no clue how the tect will be, is it multiple choice, fill in ....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem at all! I remember how helpful this site was when I first started didactic year, and then again when I started rotations!

That test wasn't bad at all, if you put in the time and know most of the prefixes and suffixes you should be fine. When I took it, it was only multiple choice but I'm not sure if they changed it up at all. I know that they did recently add fill-ins to the clinical medicine tests, but not sure about the med-term test.

I'm pretty sure they didn't ask any questions about pharmacology, so you don't have to go to much in depth about that....yet

Just.......i graduated last year from a private college in tennessee, and am very interested in St. Johns program. What do you think about the program? Is obtaining a certificate versus a masters going to put me at a disadvantage (If accepted). Overall tuition? How big is the class? Alot of out of state transfer students?.....sorry for all of the questions

I feel that the program gave me all the necessary tools and education to become an excellent PA, but it is mainly up to the student to put in the time and effort. All of the rotations I had were very good, and they thought very highly of the SJU students. As for certificate vs. masters, I have yet to see a job for a new graduate that requires a masters. As of now, it's typically only for administrative or teaching positions, or at least that's what I've heard from PAs.

A downside is the tuition, but I know its different for the independent students who already have degrees, than it is for the St. John's undergrad students. I can't speak much on that topic since I am an undergrad.

The class typically starts with roughly 85 students, but I believe my year went down to about 75. It seems like a lot, but the professors really take the time to know their students well.

• 2 weeks later...

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!! i got the email today =] im sooo excitedd

transfer students all got their acceptances before stj students

just419 i had one last question, do you know and seniors emptying our their apartment? i have been looking for a place but thought it would be easier to find out if 4th yr students have apartments that they r leaving by august.

Hey so I am from maryland and want to know what are some good areas that I should look into for an apartment. If anyone has any good recommendations please let me know. I am not familiar with the area that well. Thanks

In all honesty, you guys don't need to go crazy buying all of those books. When you get your St. John's email, you will be able to log in to Access Medicine through the St. John's library website. It has a lot of textbooks compiled onto the internet database including Harrison's, the entire Currents series, and many other books. I recommend you check that out before buying all of the books.

To start off, you'd probably be best with the anatomy books, Bates Guide to Physical Examination, the pathophysiology book, radiology book, Step up to Medicine/USMLE review books. I also think Current: Medical Diagnosis and Treatment is really good, and not nearly as heavy as Harrison's.

They require the equipment for the practice labs in class but I never carried my otoscope or opthalmoscope to rotations seeing as a majority of the rotation sites have their own. See if you can save some money and get a cheaper one somewhere.

Good luck!!

I interviewed at St John's but do not plan on taking Micro so I don't plan on going there anyway. I also interviewed and was wait listed at York College and I just interviewed at Touro College where I will know if I was accepted into the Sept or Jan class. The question I have is do I go for the MS and $70K bill or the BS and $15K?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it isn't very far from main campus, less than a 5 minute drive or about a 10 minute bus ride. A lot of people went to the library on main campus to study after class. There's not that much time for a social life once you're in the didactic phase of the program, also especially since not much goes on at the main campus anyway.

I'm not sure about the health insurance from the school, I had insurance prior to entering the program which was continued. I don't really know anyone who used the school's policy but I'll see if I can find out.

Well, it isn't very far from main campus, less than a 5 minute drive or about a 10 minute bus ride. A lot of people went to the library on main campus to study after class. There's not that much time for a social life once you're in the didactic phase of the program, also especially since not much goes on at the main campus anyway.

I'm not sure about the health insurance from the school, I had insurance prior to entering the program which was continued. I don't really know anyone who used the school's policy but I'll see if I can find out.

Archived