Final Personal Statement... I THINK! Take a look please!

The polarized sun glasses shielded my eyes from the burning afternoon sun. From my position on the lifeguard stand, my glance was drawn to the water-play apparatus where the majority of toddlers and young kids were beginning to converge. It was Fourth of July weekend, and many unfamiliar faces were beginning to gather at the Dansbury Park Pool. With twelve lifeguards on duty we felt equipped to safely guard the swimmers lives. Or so we thought.

It happened in an instant. My guard partner was recklessly swimming in the water. I gazed harder at her destination point to only see what was ahead of her: a young boy lying on the bottom of the pool, immobile. My heart stopped. I blew my whistle three times to signal to the other staff members that a swimmer was unconscious. Our lifeguard team acted sharply. We cleared the water of swimmers, called 911 and retrieved the AED. The responding lifeguard retrieved the boy, brought him to the surface and began attending to the boy. I watched from a distance while consoling the boy’s family.

Within minutes, the EMTs rushed into the pool area. The paramedics relieved the distressed lifeguard. The boy was then put on oxygen, loaded onto the stretcher and into the ambulance for transport to the hospital.

In hindsight, my contribution felt inadequate compared to that of the paramedics. This realization that I was restricted in the level of care I could possibly provide for the boy infuriated me. It was at this moment in time that I realized I had more to offer than just my consolation in a time of medical emergency.

This was the first day I truly began to consider a career in the medical field as a possibility for my future. I spent the remainder of that summer researching medical careers, visiting and shadowing medical professionals and finally finding the career that felt like it was the right fit for me: a physician assistant.

During my search that summer, I realized that I was searching for a career that involved two particular aspects: factual knowledge and the ability to solve complex problems with a solution that is best for the individual. After my first experience of shadowing a physician assistant, I found that these two aspects were unquestionably seen in a physician assistant’s field of work. I pursued many more hours of shadowing physician assistants in family practices, gastroenterology and neurology practices. I was fortunate enough to shadow physician assistants who demonstrated great honesty, compassion, and optimism, all of which are values that are important to me. These insights into the profession that I acquired during my observation hours solidified my decision to become a physician assistant.

Motivated by this, I approached my classes with a stronger zeal than ever before. I knew what I wanted for myself in the future and knew what I needed to do to make it a rewarding reality.

My determination was put to the test spring semester of sophomore year when I was faced with course material that I struggled to relate to and comprehend. The grade of my general chemistry II course was nothing to brag about. In fact, this was the first time I experienced feelings of uncertainty that I would be able to handle upper level course work.

These feelings did not last for long. This difficulty made me reevaluate my goals and only encouraged me to work harder. Upon successful completion of upper level chemistry and biology courses, such as organic chemistry and cell biology, I proved to myself that I was capable of mastering complex material, and was truly dedicated to lifelong learning.

I complemented my studies by getting a job on campus, volunteering my free time at a local nursing home and signing up to run in my first marathon. I was also promoted to the assistant director position at Dansbury Park Pool. This opportunity gave me a chance to develop my leadership abilities in a work environment. These additional activities forced me to make better use of my time as I began taking on more responsibilities.

In addition to these experiences, growing up with a twin sister in a single parent household dramatically shaped my character. These circumstances and experiences are responsible for allowing me to become a multi-dimensional person and instilling in me the many special qualities needed in the Physician Assistant profession: compassion, determination, selflessness, leadership and reverence.

The young boy, unlike many who go unnoticed in a swimming pool lived on. Through this eye-opening situation and my self-discovery, I have realized that the PA profession is the right choice for me. I am confident that I am capable and ready to face the challenges of PA school and look forward to the day I can serve others in a more qualified manner.

Archived