How do I make a change?

So I have a great job. I randomly connected with an even better job near family. I really respect my SP and see that we are growing rapidly. A large part of that is with my addition. I want to change and move to this other position which is a much better situation for me professionally and our family.

What I am concerned about is breaking the news that I want to leave. Again I really like him and the work and the staff. That is what makes it harder. But this other position needs to happen ASAP if I want it. How would you break it to my SP? How long advance is fair before I leave especially with his momentum and that I respect him. One thing to keep in mind: in February I started my second year on a three year agreement. Each year is negotiable. But I am still in the middle of this year.

I am also afraid of creating an uncomfortable environment if I cannot leave for contract reasons etc. He is not the type that would become mean or malicious to my progress but it still would effect our relationship. So let me know what you think. I am very curious for your thoughts. Also he has been looking for an additional PA anyways.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Yes. At the place I want to leave we need another PA because my schedule is full fire a few weeks. He us even looking for another physician. At the place I want to go their PA left for another opportunity. So needs someone now.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

This is a business, think of you and your family first. I know of a practice that brought in a new physician and wound up letting a PA go so the new physician could grow his own practice and therefore make more money. Just follow your contract's requirements for length of notice for termination of the contract and go if that's what you decide to do.

Sounds like you are leaving a pretty good situation... And that your leaving will hurt the current practice...

Reputation means everything in this business... If you have to leave, do as advised above.. Leave as you contract directs.. Meet all contractual obligations for resignation.

Assist if possible with recruiting your replacement .. Remember, credentialling may take up to 90 days if there is hospital involvement.. 3-4 weeks for insurance clearance if not.

Part of our schizophrenia as PAs is that, on the on hand, we want to be considered to be professionals, and on the other, want to act like employee "two week notice" when it is to our advantage.

What goes around comes around. How you leave will be a big plus or a big minus in your professional reputation.

Btw, please as much as possible be sure that you are not looking at the second job as a "grass is greener..." situation.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am always worried about the greener grass perspective. But I do feel like this grass is greener for many reasons, not just the job itself. I want to stay married, I want my son to be healthy and happy, I want a better financial situation for our family, and I want greater professional growth. I can achieve that at the new place better than where I am at now.

I have combed over contract and 60 days is all I need to safely and professionally end contract. I have to tell my SP within this week. That moment is looming over me heavily. It is weird walking around knowing how my decision could effect all those there. BUT I also realize he may find someone even better suited. That is my hope. I also need to end it well because my next license requires a letter of recommendation from previous SP.

I have already posted job on different sites. He had wanted me to do that anyways since we needed another PA, which btw message me if anyone is interested. It really is a terrific job and terrific people to work with.

I will update on how this goes. I am positive it will work out for the best for all.

Archived