College sports

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like my ADCOM was really impressed that I was able to achieve similar grades/ healthcare experience as my classmates while being a full time/full scholarship collegiate athlete. I would DEFINITELY include it on my application..it was something they asked a couple questions about on my interview and regarded it in a very positive light. I will check my old application and see where I included it, and send you a PM.

I would say not only does it not count against you, it could actually help you! I was a division 1 varsity athlete in college. To play at that level meant a time commitment of 30-50+ hours per week. It is like having a full time job while attending school full time. It demonstrates your excellent time management skills!

agree with suz and ferros. sounds like rev ronin was a straight up nerdbomber, which ironically are some of the worst PA's I have seen!

^^Just...YES! My pa was a collegiate athlete and she is wonderful! And who said being an athlete was all they were putting on their app? Highly unlikely! I think its awesome they could meet the demands of both!

• Administrator
agree with suz and ferros. sounds like rev ronin was a straight up nerdbomber, which ironically are some of the worst PA's I have seen!

No, sorry, I was a second career'er with a good bit of life experience AND EMT experience. If I had done anything athletic in my undergraduate years, it would have been pushed off my application in the intervening two decades. The fact that it might actually be important enough for someone to list on their applications demonstrates that that hypothetical candidate simply doesn't have enough other relevant experience to put on the application. There's nothing wrong with athletics... they simply aren't important enough to ever put on an application if you're actually ready for PA school. Well, maybe one of the guys I taught in the current EMT class in my county should put his athletic experience on a hypothetical future PA school application--but then he made it to a professional team before deciding to become a firefighter/EMT. If he goes to PA school, he should probably put it on his application. And I'd probably write him an LOR, too.

I kind of agree with Rev here. What is important in having a good foundation to build on for PA school? Is it more important to be able to handle the "rigors" of school? Or more important to have a good strong base of knowledge and experience to build upon going thru school? Why Is school not going to be too onerous for someone like me? Well, because I've taught BLS, ACLS, PALS, EMT classes, paramedic EKG and physiology classes, paramedic pharm classes. Now, who would be better prepared for schooling in medicine? The person that believes playing sports is important or the person that has been working in and around the medical community by learning, teaching and doing?

I can see the argument on both ends, however at the end of the day, if schools were overly interested in extracurricular activities like athletics, there would be a spot for it on the application. The fact that there isn't and it has to be squeezed into another category shows where these activities fall on the ADCOM's priority list.

• 3 weeks later...

Suz pa and ferros, agreed. Former collegiate athlete with 3.8 GPA and 4.0 in graduate school with volunteer/work/shadow experience all at the same time (and did not delay anything if not expedite) I know plenty of healthcare providers who hire former collegiate athletes over non if all other things held equal. In fact there are dozens of agencies built for former collegiate athletes recruiting only former athletes as in their experience (per recruiter) make an overall more well rounded employee. Food for thought. No need for harsh blanket statements from those who have no idea what it is like to manage all of the above plus 40+ hours a week in collegiate athletics. Thank you for positive feedback left from previous writers as that is the point of this forum. Support!

Archived