O Chem before Biochem?

I need to repeat OChem ( I got a D+ the first time). I also am planning to take Biochem. Should I take Ochem first or does it matter? Thanks

I'd say repeat organic chemistry so you're more prepared when you take Biochem and you'll feel more confident. However, I originally got a C in gen chem 1 and then got a 89% B in gen chem 2. Now i'm retaking gen chem 1 since I need a B or higher for any local PA programs. It honestly doesn't matter the order, but i'd take the easier route to regain some confidence before taking biochem.

I have thought about applying to programs that require neither. Do you think I should still repeat the OChem due to the D+????

if it tanks your gpa you need to repeat it or take another course in its place and get a better grade.

if your heart is set on a place that requires it, retake it. if not consider your options.

one of my decision trees when applying to pa school vs med school was "which does not require ochem".

Most schools require Organic Chem before Biochem. The only Biochem course I've seen with no pre-req wasn't acceptable for the PA program I wanted to apply to. So, I've gotta take either Survey of Organic Chemistry (plus a lab) or Organic Chem I & II before I can take Biochem.

I did not do ochem because most PA programs seemed to universally require biochemistry but not always require ochem (some said biochem OR ochem, but most wanted 4 credit hours of biochem). Though ochem is technically a prerequisite for biochem, I made an A in biochem without taking ochem. I honestly didn't feel like ochem and biochem were related, and you will be fine so long as you understand principles of general chemistry. I got an administrative override to get into biochem without taking ochem. I guess if you're doing biochem at a really rigorous school it might be different, but I did mine at Tennessee State University.

Orgo II is certainly not a prereq for any biochem course as orgo II focuses on synthesis utilizing synthetic reagents. Orgo I is essential to fully understanding biochem simply to know what you're looking at. If you don't know what a cyclohexane or bezene or propanic acid is, or the difference between a nucleophile and electrophile, then you won't fully comprehend biochem.

Sincerely,

An Orgo Chem an Biochem Tutor

Yes, take at least one semester of Orgo. Also, make sure you've had Bio 101. Review the section on Thermodynamics in your General Chem book before the class. You can also watch instructional videos at the Khan Academy web site. It seems like a pretty challenging class, I just dropped a summer session of it because I didn't think I was ready yet.

Organic Chem is rough, but if you study, watch vids, get tutoring, and bother the professor a bunch you will have no problems. Biochem was easy after Ochem I and II and was very interesting. If you are younger I would take them all and bust my butt doing so. It will give you some extra options in case life goes wonky or if you later decide to go to med school.

Archived