I took the PANRE today. This is the second time I have taken the PANRE, and this time was much worse than six years ago. For preparation, I used the Comprehensive Review book, the Lange question and answer book, and the Emory CD. I have been studying almost every day since February; MUCH more than I prepared the last time I took the exam. When I left the testing center, I felt.... well, "deflated" might be a good word. I am sure I failed. I kept count of how many questions I flagged, that I wasn't "sure" about, and I am embarrassed to even share that number. Any suggestions on what I can do to prep better for my retake in three months? Hippo? Different books? Find a new career? Thanks for listening; I think I needed to vent a little bit.

I know the last time, I felt like I had failed when I finished. The test seemed a lot more difficult this time, for some reason. I have been reading a lot of others saying that also.

I just did my first PANRE - the stress of doing it was unreal. I did Hippo and the 5 day CME Resources course. I had to take a week off to go to the course, and then took another week off to study. Felt like things were going ok until I hit the 4th block and then there were 20 questions in a row that I couldn't answer and it was all I could do to keep myself from having a full on anxiety attack in the test center. I wasn't sure at all what to think.....and then I passed. So a big relief but what a bunch of stress to get there. Good luck

I know the last time, I felt like I had failed when I finished. The test seemed a lot more difficult this time, for some reason. I have been reading a lot of others saying that also.

maybe it feels more difficult because you have spent more time away from primary care

I worked in primary care until about a year ago, then I started working in an acute clinic two months later. Now, I realize in a "Minit-Clinic" we don't see any internal medicine type cases, but I wasn't seeing a lot of the exam topics in primary care either.

I got my results yesterday, and I am happy to report that I passed! My scores went down quite a bit from the last time I took the PANRE, but I'm not going to be too concerned about it. Just glad it is over for awhile!

That seems to be the consensus for this year's PANCE/PANRE. It's a real kick in the sack. 'Grats on passing though

I just took to PANRE a few hours ago. I feel awful. Their were about 30 questions where I was like...."Where did this come from?" . I did all of HippoPA questions and ExamMaster CD. My average score on HippoPA was 75%-85% and ExamMaster was 65-75%. Why couldn't we be like NP and never have to recert again?

i am going to give mine on tuesday.. hello msjay098.. could please guide me any last minute advises.. i was doing kaplan question bank. doing around 60's some times 70's but today i bought exam master and did 3 blocks .. not great scores. do u think i will blow off the test. is there lot of pharm on the test and do they give generic and trade names. please please respond so i will be taking soon...

Just wanted to share that I passed! Scored 491. I was in tears and shocked. I felt so awful after the exam. This time around I felt that there was so much more at stake. Good luck to everyone taking the PANCE/PANRE.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.
    • By feistymango
      Recently, I decided to pursue the PA route and need to take Anatomy/Physiology 1 and 2 with lab and Microbiology with lab. One of the schools require Immunology/Virology too (Did anyone need to take this class for their prerequisites?). I graduated with my bachelor's and currently working full time. I am having difficulty finding a class I can take that fits with my work schedule. I was able to sign up for Anatomy/Physiology 1 at a local community college, but unable to sign up for the rest due to time conflict or not available at other community colleges. Can anyone suggest alternatives in how I can compete these pre-requisites? Not sure if courses meant for "Health Science Majors" or "Allied Health Majors" are the same for science majors which is required for the schools I plan to apply for. Thanks in advance!!
    • By PerspiringPA
      I have completed my bachelor's degree in Biology, but since I was pre-med back then, I didn't complete the anatomy and physiology course and now have to complete it at a community college. I also have a full time job and was hoping to take anatomy and physiology in a hybrid setting (online lecture with in person lab). Is this a good idea? I've been looking at schools websites and some don't care, some said "considered on an individual basis," and some won't accept it. Am I limiting my chances too much? I want to apply mostly west coast and surrounding states.  I also have to take statistics and I hope to apply for Fall 2020.
      Thanks!
    • By Brandon2397
      Hello everyone, I am currently in my third year as a biology undergraduate major at the City College of New York. I graduate next year and wanted to ask for opinions on whether or not I should apply to PA programs immediately after graduation. 
      At the moment I have a 3.91 GPA, straight As in my science courses, have shadowed one PA for a few hours, and have over 200 hours volunteering at an ENT hospital. However, my plan after graduation is to work as an EMT to gain credible health care experience to put on my application.
      In your opinions, are my current credentials sufficient enough for PA programs to consider me as a serious candidate? Or should I take a gap year to focus on obtaining more experience to put on my application? If so, any advice or recommendations? Any responses are much appreciated. Thanks! 
    • By alm97
      I have been looking into PA programs to figure out which ones to apply to in the upcoming cycle. For some schools I meet all their prerequisite coursework, but for other schools I am a class or two short. I did not take abnormal psychology or sociology in my undergrad program, but I took all the core classes most PA schools want to see. What I am wondering is if it is a bad idea to apply to programs where I am missing a prerequisite. Will schools still view my application if I don't have every prerequisite they want? I don't want to waste my time and money applying to schools if they won't even consider me. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More