2013-2014 applicant thread

Hello Dynamo24! I am applying to UNMC as well. It is my first choice. I submitted my application to CASPA on 5/21 for review. Im anxious to get this whole thing rolling!

Awesome! I'm hoping to apply in a few weeks while adding my GRE scores in July. I plan on taking it in June so hopefully the writing score comes back relatively quick. I hear UNMC does early acceptances in like December so hopefully we will both know by then! Are you from NE?

I just wanted to make it clear for everyone else who looks at this from out of state. When looking at the class profiles, Nebraska typically accepts about 10ish out of state applicants per year. About 200ish non nebraska residents apply. This makes for roughly a 5 percent chance, no different than some of the bigger programs that receive 1500+ applications per year and don't favor in or out of state applicants.

• 1 month later...

Just to further clarify this, the out of state applicants that are accepted are most likely from bordering states (Iowa, Kansas, SD, Colorado, Minnesota) than say Florida or California. They really want their graduates to stay in the Nebraska health system, preferably in family medicine in a rural setting (your FM rotations TWELVE weeks..ugh). Just a heads up.

I am applying as well. I am from Idaho and am aware that it does hurt my chances. I just hope if I get an interview I can communicate that I don't know for sure if I will live in Nebraska after graduation. Idaho has many rural areas that need high quality healthcare as well. Maybe I can put a spin on it and make it work for me... I won't be too heart broken as it is not my first choice. Mainly because I will be married etc... and life would be easier if I got into Idaho State's program. Also, Idaho State's program would cost me $60k + room and board. UNMC will cost me $100k+ YIKES!!! It is almost becoming rediculous to have to spend $150k in school just to start at $80k (Maybe). Best of luck to everybody!

• 3 weeks later...
I am applying as well. I am from Idaho and am aware that it does hurt my chances. I just hope if I get an interview I can communicate that I don't know for sure if I will live in Nebraska after graduation. Idaho has many rural areas that need high quality healthcare as well. Maybe I can put a spin on it and make it work for me... I won't be too heart broken as it is not my first choice. Mainly because I will be married etc... and life would be easier if I got into Idaho State's program. Also, Idaho State's program would cost me $60k + room and board. UNMC will cost me $100k+ YIKES!!! It is almost becoming rediculous to have to spend $150k in school just to start at $80k (Maybe). Best of luck to everybody!

I will say UNMC's OOS tuition rate is very high. It is an amazing college that is making some HUGE strides with their facilities. The hospital and clinics are some of the best in the region along with a top notch level 1 trauma center. Plus you would get to do a peds rotation at the regions best children hospital which is invaluable not to mention the best ENTs practice in Omaha at Boys Town. Its an amazing city to get an education in as far as healthcare. So you would have to ask yourself if the cost is worth the education you may get. I know picking up and moving is rough but hey...if we both get in you'd have a married couple to hang with!

Sounds good Dynamo24. I will have my application in to UNMC before 10/1/13. I am taking the GRE on 9/6/13. I hate the whole idea of the GRE. I won't even get that soap box out. Are you and your spouse going to move there together or are you two going to be doing the distance thing like I will be doing? (IF I get in that is). I do have some networking at UNMC. My cousin is a physician there and gets them a lot of grant money. Maybe it will pull in my favor who knows! I will have a cummulative GPA of 3.45, and a science GPA of 3.5-3.6, 9000 hrs of clinical experience. I am hoping that makes me competative at least.

• 1 month later...
Sounds good Dynamo24. I will have my application in to UNMC before 10/1/13. I am taking the GRE on 9/6/13. I hate the whole idea of the GRE. I won't even get that soap box out. Are you and your spouse going to move there together or are you two going to be doing the distance thing like I will be doing? (IF I get in that is). I do have some networking at UNMC. My cousin is a physician there and gets them a lot of grant money. Maybe it will pull in my favor who knows! I will have a cummulative GPA of 3.45, and a science GPA of 3.5-3.6, 9000 hrs of clinical experience. I am hoping that makes me competative at least.

We will pick up and move as a family (we have an 8 month old girl). My wife is an audiologist and can get a job pretty much anywhere, which is very nice for us. We don't want to move but will if we have to. I submitted my application on 8.22 and heard back from 4 of the 7 programs I applied to within 48 hours but have not heard back from UNMC. They have preferential treatment for applications received before 9/1. Even so I would try to get yours in as early as possible. Pull every string you can man, there is NO reason not to take advantage of everything you can. If it gets you in, it gets you in.

"""

Dear . . .

Thank you again for your application to the UNMC Physician Assistant Program. All of your application materials (CASPA application, GRE scores, and Supplemental Application) have been received. In addition, your application indicates that you will meet all admission requirements and can be considered for an interview.

If you are invited for an interview, we will be contacting you through a separate email. We will be contacting individuals starting in October and continuing until the beginning of January. Interviews will be held November 15th, and 22nd; December 6th, and 13th; and January 3rd, 9th and 17th.

If you have any questions about the application process, your application status or our Program, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update everyone on UNMC. They sent out their November interviews a few weeks ago. I know a few students at my university that have interviews this month. I'm assuming they will send out their December invites in the coming weeks. I have not heard anything from them as of today. Hopefully everyone will be getting their invites soon. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I have heard nothing from this school yet. Best of luck.

I have only gotten the confirmation that my application was accepted and complete. Otherwise, nothing else. I know they have done their first round of interviews and have 3 more sessions this month, and I think 2 or 3 next month. I would imagine all interviewees would know by the middle of this month because they may have other interview dates and need to arrange travel...kind of odd that they haven't sent out all interview invites yet. 

Has anyone heard anything? Any interviews, any acceptances? I emailed someone there and they said they were hoping to have their interviews sent out at the end of December.

Just a quick update in reply to this, I called UNMC yesterday and asked about an update on interviews and my application status. She said it was still "under review" but I should be notified by Monday. I'm assuming that means we should know by Monday or this week about our applications. Weird thing: they do "interview alternates". Never heard of that and it seems a little silly but either way yeah...hopefully everyone will get some good news this week!