New PA Program Admits only SF 18D Medics

You know, it is a real interesting question, having a pre-req that on its face, does not include women for a profession that obviously is fit for women by current demographics. And I am very surprised I didn’t even think about this when I first saw it, being the diversity hiring person for my college. My thoughts are that if they keep this criterion they will need to address it head on. Even if they include Ranger medics they will screen out women. So it is a real and valid question.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I e-mailed the program at UNC to find out if they will consider medic applicants besides 18D's, along with my concern that specifically women will be excluded. I was told they appreciate my concerns and that my e-mail was forwarded to the Associate Dean and Chair of the Department of Allied Health, but that she was out of the office currently. I was expecting them to already have a response rather than needing to send the question up so maybe they haven't fully decided on this aspect yet.

I emailed them with the same question and got the same response...

They should make SFAS a requirement with the option for non special ops qualified personal to go through a privately run selection course complete with 50 km land nav courses, two wheeled jeep pushes, log pt, and the rest. That way any people who feel they are getting cheated by only being able to applying to the other 100 non-18D schools can kit up and earn their slot there too!

Problem solved! :wink:

I e-mailed the program at UNC to find out if they will consider medic applicants besides 18D's, along with my concern that specifically women will be excluded. I was told they appreciate my concerns and that my e-mail was forwarded to the Associate Dean and Chair of the Department of Allied Health, but that she was out of the office currently. I was expecting them to already have a response rather than needing to send the question up so maybe they haven't fully decided on this aspect yet.

Does it make any difference at all that the Associate Dean is a woman?

• 2 weeks later...
If women collectively spoke up more and believed that they should have more rights we'd probably have a few female 18D's by now

Umm, no.

Let's not change this topic from the OP, but No, No, No, No, No.

It's not about SFAS making you a good PA, SFAS is what you have to pass to become a 18D

Umm, no. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Go pound sand.

They should make SFAS a requirement with the option for non special ops qualified personal to go through a privately run selection course complete with 50 km land nav courses, two wheeled jeep pushes, log pt, and the rest. That way any people who feel they are getting cheated by only being able to applying to the other 100 non-18D schools can kit up and earn their slot there too!

Ahhhh..SNAP.

To the OP- yes, it's about time.

J

Problem solved! :wink:

Right on, brother man. I don't feel left out...I am ineligible for that program, being that I was a 91/68W2P, but I am not mad. I'm not an 18D. I didn't through the training they did. Quite the opposite, I think it is a great idea, and that the program will turn out awesome PAs.

As a current PA student and someone who received the majority of my medical experience in an all male military career-field I can attest that there are FAR more opportunities for civilians (including women) to matriculate into PA programs. Even with the Interservice PA program as Active Duty I didn't have the opportunity to satisfy the pre-reqs due to my career-field's training/ops tempo, so that wasn't even an option.

This is nothing short of phenomenal! I'm pleased to hear that one program is attempting to reestablish the foundation of where the PA profession began with the military, especially with men from the teams who have certainly earned it and bring with them tons of medical experience and knowledge as ATP's.

Best of luck to all of you who are eligible to apply.

"That Others May Live"...

I think it's a great idea. I was 18B and became an EMT-I on my own and that combination helped me get into PA school. I really wish I had become an 18D at the beginning.

Medics with this level of experience will get more out of a program that caters to their group needs and experiences. I had a bit of difficulty relating to the other students in my class at PA school; I was the only veteran and we only had 3 males out of 35 students.

I didn't read all the comments, so forgive me if this has already been said. Im pretty sure the (18D) course is still the same, but when I went through, the PJs and Navy folk fresh out of BUDS did the 1st half of the program, and the IDCs SEAL guys stuck around for SFMS. I have heard the the PJs are now required to complete the entire 12 mos. I agree this program should be a little more open in who allowed to apply, but it is also a good start. Of note, I felt the 18D course was pretty grueling (mentally) then I went to PA school. No comparison in my opinion. PA school is much harder, but I owe most of my success to the 18D course.

Of note, I felt the 18D course was pretty grueling (mentally) then I went to PA school. No comparison in my opinion. PA school is much harder, but I owe most of my success to the 18D course.

Wow, I didn't see that coming. I haven't been to the W1/D courses, but I didn't imagine PA school would be harder. Is it the length and volume of PA school? I wouldn't call it easy, but I am having a great time in PA school. I am starting rotations in 2 months, my relationship with my wife is still strong, and we have a beautiful 7 month old baby. Life is so good for me right now. I do miss my brothers though, and have a bug up my butt looking into the UT National Guard 197th STC (A) and their Special Operations Resuscitation Team. It looks like an awesome opportunity to bring focused care to the immature theater, and I have a lot of the qualifications they are looking for....ah decisions to be had....

I didn't read all the comments, so forgive me if this has already been said. Im pretty sure the (18D) course is still the same, but when I went through, the PJs and Navy folk fresh out of BUDS did the 1st half of the program, and the IDCs SEAL guys stuck around for SFMS. I have heard the the PJs are now required to complete the entire 12 mos. I agree this program should be a little more open in who allowed to apply, but it is also a good start. Of note, I felt the 18D course was pretty grueling (mentally) then I went to PA school. No comparison in my opinion. PA school is much harder, but I owe most of my success to the 18D course.

SO-IDC's and 18D's are the only ones who go through the long course.

PJ's no longer go at all, short or long course. They have their own gig in New Mexico that is more tailored to the rescue community.

The thing to understand about this program is that the acceptance of the 18D into the program has absolutely nothing to do with their abilities as a soldier. It has EVERYTHING to do UNC's acceptance of the curriculum taught at the JSOMT.

It isn't, this guy is a bada$$, lets let him in....it's more, this guy has had an amazing amount of MEDICAL training....lets give him credit for it and assume that he could handle PA school. Streamline the application process and let him in.

Give these guys credit for what they are....SMART.

SO-IDC's and 18D's are the only ones who go through the long course.

PJ's no longer go at all, short or long course. They have their own gig in New Mexico that is more tailored to the rescue community.

The thing to understand about this program is that the acceptance of the 18D into the program has absolutely nothing to do with their abilities as a soldier. It has EVERYTHING to do UNC's acceptance of the curriculum taught at the JSOMT.

It isn't, this guy is a bada$$, lets let him in....it's more, this guy has had an amazing amount of MEDICAL training....lets give him credit for it and assume that he could handle PA school. Streamline the application process and let him in.

Give these guys credit for what they are....SMART.

And that, in a nutshell, says it all.

• 2 weeks later...

I received an e-mail response from the Executive Associate Dean of Academic Programs at UNC. She expressed understanding of the concerns and stated that because so few programs have a large representation of military medics they hope to address that issue in their program. "You can be reassured, though, that this will be a UNC program, not a military one, and that, though we hope to include 18D medics, that we will look at ALL applicants equally, and follow state guidelines including women and minorities." Based on this I would have to assume that the program mission may be slightly misrepresented in the articles we have found on this new program.

Archived