What is the best way to descirbe "duties" on CASPA?

I know there are a lot of questions on this forum about how to describe "duties" for a healthcare or volunteer position on CASPA. I've looked over all of them and they seem to have conflicting answers.

I feel that I am a poor judge of "what sounds best". Could anyone please give me some feedback on which of the following you think is a better description for the "duties" section of a Research Assistant position? Both are kind of long winded. Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome!

1: I aided in the implementation of the Mindfulness Training for Smokers program at Meriter Hospital. A portion of my work with this program was paid and a portion was volunteer (See Other Health Experience Section). Each day, we receive a list of patients who were admitted to the hospital and are current smokers. I visit the patients while they are in the hospital, explain our programs, discuss their social history, and recommend a treatment program. I advise patients on the type of nicotine replacement medication that is best suited for them and the strength and duration of the medication regimen.

2: Research Assistant position at a community hospital working largely with a low-income population of patients who smoke. A portion of my work with this program was paid and a portion was volunteer (See Other Health Experience Section). Duties included: Visiting current inpatients who reported they were current smokers and explaining the new smoking cessation programs that are available at the hospital as well as the research being done on these programs; Taking a comprehensive social history and discussing smoking triggers; Counseling patients on the type of treatment program best suited for their needs; Advising patients on the type of nicotine replacement medicine and the strength and duration of the medication regimen.

I've never had a problem with either tense in resume type descriptions. I believe that I spoke in present tense in mine (as an EMT, duties include assisting paramedics with their skills, performing CPR, assessing patients, etc), but I don't know that it matters that much.

I've never had a problem with either tense in resume type descriptions. I believe that I spoke in present tense in mine (as an EMT, duties include assisting paramedics with their skills, performing CPR, assessing patients, etc), but I don't know that it matters that much.

If its a position you currently hold, you should use present tense. If its a position you held in the past, you should use past tense.

Archived