Saving money before PA School

IMO there really is no typical number. I know this isn't particularly helpful, but everyone is at different points in their life, comes from different professions which pay more or less than others, and may or may not have supplemental income from a significant other among other things. Based upon what your expenses and salary are, I would sit down, do some math, and come up with a realistic goal that you can work towards.

Here is my situation. I graduated with my undergrad summer 2012. Now, I'm a CNA and a swim coach and don't make that much, but I am saving what I can. But I am also keeping in mind to finally treat myself well and get a few things here and there that I really want now that I have more time because I am not in school. I don't want to spend however many months in between my undergrad and pa school being a miser and missing out on things because I didn't want to spend a little money. For example I finally got a nice tent to use for pretty much all the seasons. I also finally went downhill skiing for the first time in a few years, which is sad because its a quick drive to get there. I figure its a balance between saving and enjoying life a tad more before heading back to school because school stresses me out much more than any job I've ever held.

If you make a lot, look at the associated costs and see if you can cover the entire two- three years, that would be great, I'm nowhere close to that situation so I'm not even trying. Many of the individual schools split up costs, so check there to figure what you want to cover out of pocket and what will be loans.

Thank you both for your advice. I agree with both of you. I definitely won't have enough money saved to pay for a portion of my education. But I'm thinking it would be nice to have some money put aside for spending money. I know that students are able to get more than enough money to cover tuition, books, rent, and living expenses but the idea is so daunting.

I agree with you @atheaslet. I think it's important to enjoy life and time with your friends now while you aren't overwhelmed with school work. I've been doing the same thing.

As for my wife and I we are putting a fixed amount aside every paycheck. I will be relying on loans for my school as I graduated in May 2012 and can in no way save enough to pay for any major portion of school. I will not be working during school but my wife will be to cover necessities like rent and car payments. The money we are saving will be for groceries, to help out with rent, and any other unexpected needs (or wants lol). I am greatly looking forward to starting school up again but I am not looking forward to the debt. Haha.

Archived