1099 Urgent care locums salary. What would you charge?

Guest Paula

Guest Paula

I'm currently thinking of picking up a locums job at a former job in a walk-in clinic. I was approached to help cover some shifts through out the summer. My salary when I was employed by them was around $50/hr, plus benefits and now I'm being asked to be a 1099 independent contractor.

I'm thinking of asking for $75/hr, plus mileage and meals during the shifts I work. Shifts are 12 hours. They will pay for liability insurance. I expect I may work only 12 shifts for the 3 months of summer, then as needed, maybe a few holidays, not sure on that yet. If holidays I would ask for 1 1/2 time.

Any other suggestions?

Paula,

A friend of my just recently picked up a locum jobs in small city in Michigan at an urgent care and he is getting $100 per hour plus travel expenses, lodging and a rental car. The locum agency is also paying for his liability insurance and his Michigan state license. This shift will also be 12 hours.

Guest Paula

Thanks. I would not be going through an agency and just contracting directly with my old employer. I do know the locum agencies they have used charge them a lot more and that is why they called me. Do you think I should up my price? Maybe your friend is going to be working at the same clinic?????? The clinic I was at is having problems getting providers through their current locums agencies and are in a pinch now.

$100 per hour

regular salary of $50 is likely about $65 per hour once you include all bennies

in the business world it is 33% greater to be a 1099

If they don't get you they are looking at a Doc approaching $200/hour

Oh yeah - and be VERY careful as most times if the IRS looks they will invalidate the 1099 status..... leaving the employer with fines and fees - but no real difference to you

Guest Paula

Maybe I should ask them to hire me back as a prn employee? That way they will take out my taxes, social security, etc. and I won't have to worry about it. But I would still want at least $75/hr. as a prn employee, too. (or 100!). I need to call them back by the end of today..,

Guest Paula

I have a full time job now in FP as an employee. I would be traveling 124 miles round trip to the locums job if I take it. I'd ask for travel expenses and they already offered the mileage reimbursement. They offered hotel stay too, but I'd rather drive home. I hate hotels.

$100 per hour

Oh yeah - and be VERY careful as most times if the IRS looks they will invalidate the 1099 status..... leaving the employer with fines and fees - but no real difference to you

I agree somewhat but you are only partially correct, this only applies if the preponderance of your income is coming from a single source. In essence, you can't be at 1099 contractor if your entire income is coming from one job/employer.

Paula it would be nice if you could find out what they give their full-time PA top hourly rate. Your PRN rate should be 20-25% higher than that rate.

Guest Paula

Thanks for all the advice. I called the facility back and the physician/PA/NP recruiter said she jumped the gun. There is a meeting tomorrow with their management team regarding how they are going to staff the walk-in clinic. I have other inside information from one of my former colleagues on what a few other PAs were paid to fill in (after I left and they were filling my position) and it was about $66/hr. They were employees picking up extra shifts. If they decide what they are going to do and if they call me back, it looks like somewhere between $75-100/hr is not unreasonable based on my calculations. The current NP/PA who job share are at about $55/hr plus benefits.

• 4 months later...

Paula what was the final outcome?

Thanks for all the advice. I called the facility back and the physician/PA/NP recruiter said she jumped the gun. There is a meeting tomorrow with their management team regarding how they are going to staff the walk-in clinic. I have other inside information from one of my former colleagues on what a few other PAs were paid to fill in (after I left and they were filling my position) and it was about $66/hr. They were employees picking up extra shifts. If they decide what they are going to do and if they call me back, it looks like somewhere between $75-100/hr is not unreasonable based on my calculations. The current NP/PA who job share are at about $55/hr plus benefits.

The clinic decided to decrease the hours and close for 2 days a week.  The NP and PA who already work there are staffing it.  The NP thinks they will eventually close the walk-in portion of the clinic and the ER is undergoing remodeling.  They may eventually get transferred to the ER to do fast-track.   

Archived