How strict are most of the schools requiring pre-req deadline?

@GatorRRT I'm entitled? No one is entitled to anything. Jumping to such bold conclusions based off nothing. You are so lost as to the whole point I'm making. It's not about taking the pre-reqs, it's the timing as to when they require it unlike many other programs - that's simply a barrier - at least most programs - it's completion upon matriculation. Also, on top of it - PA programs won't let you take more than one pre-req during the app? That's ludicrous when one has one whole year. It's potentially delaying someones life by one whole year, it's sick.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Timon

Don't get me wrong I'm taking it.......

I just graduated yesterday with my 4 year degree. I need 3 pre-reqs remaining due to my late start in the game, finishing one over the summer and potentially being excluded from countless schools because I intend to take 2 pre-reqs (more than one pre-req) during the fall semester during the app cycle. It's ridiculous.

@GatorRRT I'm entitled? No one is entitled to anything. Jumping to such bold conclusions based off nothing. You are so lost as to the whole point I'm making. It's not about taking the pre-reqs, it's the timing as to when they require it unlike many other programs - that's simply a barrier - at least most programs - it's completion upon matriculation. Also, on top of it - PA programs won't let you take more than one pre-req during the app? That's ludicrous when one has one whole year. It's potentially delaying someones life by one whole year, it's sick.

Yes, whining about a process that 100s of thousands of others have successfully gone through comes across as entitled. And as for the timing of prereqs, as stated above, why should a program offer someone a seat who hasn't proven they can function at the required level to be successful in their program?

This topic is addressed by the folks at PAEA every once and a while. There have been a few papers written showing the diversity of prereqs and a call for standardization.http://www.paeaonline.org/index.php?ht=a/GetDocumentAction/i/25324 ; http://www.paeaonline.org/index.php?ht=a/GetDocumentAction/i/25362 . There is also the fact that at least one state has regulations or laws that require certain prereqs must be taken or the material must be taught in the program. In that case the programs may opt for making those required classes part of the prereqs. Some states require certain classes to award the undergraduate degree, but as the programs moved to MS that issue is not as much of a problem. As far as the "no classes in progress policy" there are a few reasons a program would have that policy. One being the amount of available program and institutional resources to conduct the admission process. The contingency admissions requires extra follow-up on the part of the program or the institution's admission office. Then if the applicant fails to meet the contingency, as EMED points out it does create issues of pulling from the alternate/wait list. The other reason has already been pointed out here. There are more applicants than available seats in programs. So this can and does become a weed out process.

@Just Steve

So you're telling me every other medical program is doing it wrong? What I was suggesting or some may see as complaining is practically the norm for the majority of other related programs.

Then I suggest applying to them. You are failing to grasp the point that being a PA is not like other programs, not even NP.

Archived