How strict are most of the schools requiring pre-req deadline?

Seriously--- you are complaining about doing PREREQS!!!

I guess one way they could make it more consistent is to require a BS biology degree that would already cover the courses in question... would that be more satisfactory for you?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have a BS in Bio and just decided to do PA school in the past month. Unfortunately I didn't need to take Stats 101 or psych 101. So now I am scrambling to find an accredited online course I can take to get these out of the way, while working full time, of course. It sucks, because these are easy compared to all the upper div. classes I took for my major, but it's my fault for not figuring out what grad school I wanted to go to. I will have to get my app in later than expected only because of these 2 courses. It's unfortunate, but doable.

All part of the process :)

Well, I have a BS in Bio and just decided to do PA school in the past month. Unfortunately I didn't need to take Stats 101 or psych 101. So now I am scrambling to find an accredited online course I can take to get these out of the way, while working full time, of course. It sucks, because these are easy compared to all the upper div. classes I took for my major, but it's my fault for not figuring out what grad school I wanted to go to. I will have to get my app in later than expected only because of these 2 courses. It's unfortunate, but doable.

All part of the process :)

How come pre-reqs are not standardized by the ARC-PA for all programs accredited? It makes too much sense haha! Not really a concern for me. No hoop is big enough to get in my way. Just another issue needing improving IMHO to stay a legitimate profession in the future. MCAT predicts you are minimally prepared to succeed in medical school. I think it works? GRE isn't even looked at but is a requirement for many schools. Why? It is supposed to be a predictor of your success in Grad school. But not used for anything by PA programs but an extra hoop. The ARC-PA should standardize everything it would not be difficult. I think this is a conversation that does good. If someone thinks the process doesn't need improvement that speaks volume about where the profession is going. Even the Medical world is smart enough to realize when they need improving with the new format of the MCAT coming soon. Maybe the ARC-PA will change things too someday?

Requiring standardized prereqs says absolutely nothing about the profession. The ARC-PA does require a standardized program ciriculum, so schools turn out a somewhat standardized product. What's wrong with programs having differing ideas on what makes a student a quality applicant? Personally I think this allows for an academically/professionally diverse PA student body overall.

How come pre-reqs are not standardized by the ARC-PA for all programs accredited? It makes too much sense haha! Not really a concern for me. No hoop is big enough to get in my way. Just another issue needing improving IMHO to stay a legitimate profession in the future. MCAT predicts you are minimally prepared to succeed in medical school. I think it works? GRE isn't even looked at but is a requirement for many schools. Why? It is supposed to be a predictor of your success in Grad school. But not used for anything by PA programs but an extra hoop. The ARC-PA should standardize everything it would not be difficult. I think this is a conversation that does good. If someone thinks the process doesn't need improvement that speaks volume about where the profession is going. Even the Medical world is smart enough to realize when they need improving with the new format of the MCAT coming soon. Maybe the ARC-PA will change things too someday?

Requiring standardized prereqs says absolutely nothing about the profession. The ARC-PA does require a standardized program ciriculum, so schools turn out a somewhat standardized product. What's wrong with programs having differing ideas on what makes a student a quality applicant? Personally I think this allows for an academically/professionally diverse PA student body overall.

I dont think its complaining seriously its a discussion loliz? A BS in Bio doesn't qualify for many programs these days. It just would make sense for a professional PA program to have standardized admission requirements nationwide. I can't think of any benefit of having each school with different requirements. The minimum didactic and clinical requirements are currently standardized by the ARC-PA then why not also the entry requirements. Then again a lot of people don't understand common sense these days anytime someone makes valid points they call it complaining. Probably the same types who say they feel bullied/harassed in life anytime someone communicates with them lol. What a world we live in?

I dont think its complaining seriously its a discussion loliz? A BS in Bio doesn't qualify for many programs these days. It just would make sense for a professional PA program to have standardized admission requirements nationwide. I can't think of any benefit of having each school with different requirements. The minimum didactic and clinical requirements are currently standardized by the ARC-PA then why not also the entry requirements. Then again a lot of people don't understand common sense these days anytime someone makes valid points they call it complaining. Probably the same types who say they feel bullied/harassed in life anytime someone communicates with them lol. What a world we live in?

What is worse is one school requires one thing and another program requires some off the wall class that other programs dont even recommend. It would be nice if PA programs could get together and coordinate one group of acceptable pre-reqs instead of each making up a list of individual preferances of the program directors. If medical schools can come up with a standard requirement for applications why can't the PA programs nationwide or I would even settle for just the same ones in each state? I understand having to jump through hoops to get where and what you want but its a sign of disorganized incompetance from my current profession standards. Every PA school is going in a different direction not sure why?

Amen to that.

What is worse is one school requires one thing and another program requires some off the wall class that other programs dont even recommend. It would be nice if PA programs could get together and coordinate one group of acceptable pre-reqs instead of each making up a list of individual preferances of the program directors. If medical schools can come up with a standard requirement for applications why can't the PA programs nationwide or I would even settle for just the same ones in each state? I understand having to jump through hoops to get where and what you want but its a sign of disorganized incompetance from my current profession standards. Every PA school is going in a different direction not sure why?

Amen to that.

Pre-reqs are fine - I'm not against it, but having a deadline before application deadline is absurd - rather the acceptance should contingent on completing pre-reqs before matriculation like every other healthcare-related school

I just finished my degree today. I will take A/P 2 this summer - but will need to complete microbio and genetics this fall while working - but a lot of schools require it be done before some Sep/Oct deadline etc - it's absurd if they don't even consider you and one has to take one whole year off - if the deadline like for some schools is Dec 31 then that's fine since most fall semester end before that.

Pre-reqs are fine - I'm not against it, but having a deadline before application deadline is absurd - rather the acceptance should contingent on completing pre-reqs before matriculation like every other healthcare-related school

I just finished my degree today. I will take A/P 2 this summer - but will need to complete microbio and genetics this fall while working - but a lot of schools require it be done before some Sep/Oct deadline etc - it's absurd if they don't even consider you and one has to take one whole year off - if the deadline like for some schools is Dec 31 then that's fine since most fall semester end before that.

@Loliz

It's not so much complaining - it's the fact that the pre-reqs deadline is around Sep/Oct - some schools are Dec which is fine considering you have Fall to complete the last remaining classes. Also, they state you can't take one or two pre-reqs upon application - this is all absurd - every other medical-related field - acceptance is contingent upon class completion before matriculation.

I mean people may decide to go the PA route mid-way through college - they finish their degree- and may have let's say 3 remaining pre-reqs - let's say they take one during the summer and have 2 remaining ones and can only take it during Fall semester during the interview cycle - we have one whole year to interview! They won't even consider your app if either haven't completed all of them at the time of application or in process of taking more then one pre-req - we have one whole year - it's ridiculous to waste one whole year of one's life because of 2 pre-reqs if they're that strict about it - every other medical-related school it's completed upon matriculation

I noticed some schools say you can't take more then 2 pre-reqs during the app - well if I take A/P 2 during the summer it ends Aug 8th. Then I would have 2 left during Fall which would satisfy that req - but since I'm submitting early they'll see 3 pre-reqs in progress - so honestly if I applied late after Aug 8th which would be dumb - would satisfy that req. It's flawed.

@Loliz

It's not so much complaining - it's the fact that the pre-reqs deadline is around Sep/Oct - some schools are Dec which is fine considering you have Fall to complete the last remaining classes. Also, they state you can't take one or two pre-reqs upon application - this is all absurd - every other medical-related field - acceptance is contingent upon class completion before matriculation.

I mean people may decide to go the PA route mid-way through college - they finish their degree- and may have let's say 3 remaining pre-reqs - let's say they take one during the summer and have 2 remaining ones and can only take it during Fall semester during the interview cycle - we have one whole year to interview! They won't even consider your app if either haven't completed all of them at the time of application or in process of taking more then one pre-req - we have one whole year - it's ridiculous to waste one whole year of one's life because of 2 pre-reqs if they're that strict about it - every other medical-related school it's completed upon matriculation

I noticed some schools say you can't take more then 2 pre-reqs during the app - well if I take A/P 2 during the summer it ends Aug 8th. Then I would have 2 left during Fall which would satisfy that req - but since I'm submitting early they'll see 3 pre-reqs in progress - so honestly if I applied late after Aug 8th which would be dumb - would satisfy that req. It's flawed.

Academically diverse? Come on we all know pre-reqs just act as a barrier to entry. One school making one extra class such as microbiology a requirement doesn't make anyone more diverse than the other school requiring the same classes with the exception of microbiology. Everyone's degree is what makes individuals academically diverse.

Academically diverse? Come on we all know pre-reqs just act as a barrier to entry. One school making one extra class such as microbiology a requirement doesn't make anyone more diverse than the other school requiring the same classes with the exception of microbiology. Everyone's degree is what makes individuals academically diverse.

I'm seeing a theme here. Just take the damn class and master the material. You're going to go over it again and again and again. Sometimes there just isn't a shortcut. Ya it sucks but its there for a reason.. I took biochem for 1 program, O chem for another, lifespan development for another, and genetics for another... I was about to take spanish and physics to increase the number of schools to apply to.. And had i not gotten in i would have taken them with a smile.

I'm happy I took those classes because it gave me an opportunity to learn something relevant to what I'm going to be dealing with every day. I can already imagine you in PA school saying "why do we have to take this class?! It's so lame! Why do I need to go over anatomy again? I already took immunology and genetics.. Why are we even talking about this?"

You should be focusing your energy in that class you're getting a C in and not worrying about how each school has a different requirement or that you actually have to have a grade reported on a transcript or a degree awarded. One step at a time and as you keep chipping away at it you'll see how far you've come and will be happy you were exposed to the subject instead of it being introduced to you for the first time in a 0 failure environment. 2 or 3 exams below a 80-70% is failing btw and dismissal or remediation depending on the program.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas Edison

I'm seeing a theme here. Just take the damn class and master the material. You're going to go over it again and again and again. Sometimes there just isn't a shortcut. Ya it sucks but its there for a reason.. I took biochem for 1 program, O chem for another, lifespan development for another, and genetics for another... I was about to take spanish and physics to increase the number of schools to apply to.. And had i not gotten in i would have taken them with a smile.

I'm happy I took those classes because it gave me an opportunity to learn something relevant to what I'm going to be dealing with every day. I can already imagine you in PA school saying "why do we have to take this class?! It's so lame! Why do I need to go over anatomy again? I already took immunology and genetics.. Why are we even talking about this?"

You should be focusing your energy in that class you're getting a C in and not worrying about how each school has a different requirement or that you actually have to have a grade reported on a transcript or a degree awarded. One step at a time and as you keep chipping away at it you'll see how far you've come and will be happy you were exposed to the subject instead of it being introduced to you for the first time in a 0 failure environment. 2 or 3 exams below a 80-70% is failing btw and dismissal or remediation depending on the program.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Prereqs as a "barrier to entry"? WOW. Can we say entitled? Prereqs prepare you for the program and predict your future academic success. I still don't understand the issue with having different programs have differing ideas in what makes a superior candidate.

Prereqs as a "barrier to entry"? WOW. Can we say entitled? Prereqs prepare you for the program and predict your future academic success. I still don't understand the issue with having different programs have differing ideas in what makes a superior candidate.

Bottom line: there are no shortcuts. If you can't handle the prereqs, you don't belong in PA school. Sorry to be blunt, but if prereqs (or service hous or paid healthcare requirements or letters of recommendation or whatever) are an inconvenience to you, what are you going to do when it's someone's life in your hands and you were supposed to leave work an hour (or six hours) earlier? IMO, a lot of the "hoops" to get into school are to show dedication and discipline. I've got no problem with different schools asking for different entry requirements. They all teach differently as well. That's why choosing a program that fits your needs is as important as the school choosing you to fit their requirements.

Bottom line: there are no shortcuts. If you can't handle the prereqs, you don't belong in PA school. Sorry to be blunt, but if prereqs (or service hous or paid healthcare requirements or letters of recommendation or whatever) are an inconvenience to you, what are you going to do when it's someone's life in your hands and you were supposed to leave work an hour (or six hours) earlier? IMO, a lot of the "hoops" to get into school are to show dedication and discipline. I've got no problem with different schools asking for different entry requirements. They all teach differently as well. That's why choosing a program that fits your needs is as important as the school choosing you to fit their requirements.

OK I was wrong in my previous remarks after reading the standards of accreditation. The ARC-PA does not mandate minimum requirements of PA program curriculum. If they do it is very loose mandates and not anything specific. Sorry to hijack your thread Torshi which after rereading my posts its apparent I did. As for your issue on deadline dates and pre-reqs I see your issue and understand your frustration. Since all programs are very different, why not avoid the schools you are obviously focusing on with the deadline issue and apply broadly to others and avoid waiting an extra year? With over 170 programs you will surely find one that will meet your requirements and will probably accept you. My original point was if everything was standardized nationwide then issues like pre-reqs, deadlines, HCE required, would be easily understood by all applicants and save the pre-pa lots of headaches during the applicant process. Since we claim an attachment to the medical model for everything, I felt that is what they do with the AMDASS applicant process then why not strive for the same coherent procedure also? If you only offer repeated gripes and no solutions then sadly it does appear to be complaining and not worthy of conversation anymore. Good luck peace out.

OK I was wrong in my previous remarks after reading the standards of accreditation. The ARC-PA does not mandate minimum requirements of PA program curriculum. If they do it is very loose mandates and not anything specific. Sorry to hijack your thread Torshi which after rereading my posts its apparent I did. As for your issue on deadline dates and pre-reqs I see your issue and understand your frustration. Since all programs are very different, why not avoid the schools you are obviously focusing on with the deadline issue and apply broadly to others and avoid waiting an extra year? With over 170 programs you will surely find one that will meet your requirements and will probably accept you. My original point was if everything was standardized nationwide then issues like pre-reqs, deadlines, HCE required, would be easily understood by all applicants and save the pre-pa lots of headaches during the applicant process. Since we claim an attachment to the medical model for everything, I felt that is what they do with the AMDASS applicant process then why not strive for the same coherent procedure also? If you only offer repeated gripes and no solutions then sadly it does appear to be complaining and not worthy of conversation anymore. Good luck peace out.

To the OP...you want to be allowed to show completion of your pre reqs prior to starting whatever PA program you are accepted to, is that correct? What you are asking is for a school to fully process applications, contact references, interview, offer you a seat, then GO BACK and double check to ensure your PRE REQ was completed satisfactorily within "x" amount of time before class begins. This means if a student actually fails to achieve a passing grade in that pre req, the school has to withdraw their offer of admission and scramble to find another body to put in that now vacant seat. This means that some person sitting on a wait list may get a last minute phone call saying "can you re locate to our school in the next two weeks".

You are asking for the program to do more work and cause other potential students to go through the last minute stressors of getting to take advantage of that open seat. It may not always be great news for the next person on the wait list...that next person may have already made other plans to not attend school that year and IF they had learned of their open seat earlier, they could have taken advantage of it....all of this last minute stress on both programs and other students simply to accommodate students who didn't want to be bothered with finishing their pre reqs by a time frame that avoids all of this.

[sarcasm] If you think doing pre reqs in a timely manner are a hassle, wait until you learn of the hoops of practicing medicine...things like History and Physicals, the laborious task of actually evaluating your patient prior to diagnosing them...the leg work you have to do BEFORE you take them to surgery...ooohhh so many time related tasks that are all just barriers to just doing whatever you think is the right thing to do despite what more seasoned providers think/do. [/sarcasm]

You may want to learn some patience and humility.

To the OP...you want to be allowed to show completion of your pre reqs prior to starting whatever PA program you are accepted to, is that correct? What you are asking is for a school to fully process applications, contact references, interview, offer you a seat, then GO BACK and double check to ensure your PRE REQ was completed satisfactorily within "x" amount of time before class begins. This means if a student actually fails to achieve a passing grade in that pre req, the school has to withdraw their offer of admission and scramble to find another body to put in that now vacant seat. This means that some person sitting on a wait list may get a last minute phone call saying "can you re locate to our school in the next two weeks".

You are asking for the program to do more work and cause other potential students to go through the last minute stressors of getting to take advantage of that open seat. It may not always be great news for the next person on the wait list...that next person may have already made other plans to not attend school that year and IF they had learned of their open seat earlier, they could have taken advantage of it....all of this last minute stress on both programs and other students simply to accommodate students who didn't want to be bothered with finishing their pre reqs by a time frame that avoids all of this.

[sarcasm] If you think doing pre reqs in a timely manner are a hassle, wait until you learn of the hoops of practicing medicine...things like History and Physicals, the laborious task of actually evaluating your patient prior to diagnosing them...the leg work you have to do BEFORE you take them to surgery...ooohhh so many time related tasks that are all just barriers to just doing whatever you think is the right thing to do despite what more seasoned providers think/do. [/sarcasm]

You may want to learn some patience and humility.

Archived