Athletic Training

Hi, I am a student at The University of Florida in the athletic training program. I have become interested inthe PA field, and would like to go straight into a program once I graduate. I do not have any HCE, but I have shadowed a few PA's, have been involved in clubs and volunteering. My biggest question is: would the hours lyfrom me doing clinicals in my program count as HCE? I am directely involved in the care of the athletes I work with, so I assumed it would, but was not sure. Any insight is appreciated :).

Hi, I am a student at The University of Florida in the athletic training program. I have become interested inthe PA field, and would like to go straight into a program once I graduate. I do not have any HCE, but I have shadowed a few PA's, have been involved in clubs and volunteering. My biggest question is: would the hours lyfrom me doing clinicals in my program count as HCE? I am directely involved in the care of the athletes I work with, so I assumed it would, but was not sure. Any insight is appreciated :).

It likely depends on the school, but I have read on a few websites that clinical training, specifically, is not considered HCE.

From Duke's website:

The following types of experience are NOT accepted toward the 1,000 hours of patient care experience: PA or physician observer or shadow, non-clinical research assistant positions, student clinical experience (student nurse, student EMT, student athletic trainer, or other health care student), student "intern" experiences, candy striper or junior volunteer positions, CPR or ACLS instructor, wilderness medicine instructor, patient transporter, pharmaceutical representative, ski patroller, life guard, aerobics instructor, unit clerk, insurance clerk, medical secretary or other clerical positions.

It likely depends on the school, but I have read on a few websites that clinical training, specifically, is not considered HCE.

From Duke's website:

The following types of experience are NOT accepted toward the 1,000 hours of patient care experience: PA or physician observer or shadow, non-clinical research assistant positions, student clinical experience (student nurse, student EMT, student athletic trainer, or other health care student), student "intern" experiences, candy striper or junior volunteer positions, CPR or ACLS instructor, wilderness medicine instructor, patient transporter, pharmaceutical representative, ski patroller, life guard, aerobics instructor, unit clerk, insurance clerk, medical secretary or other clerical positions.

From Duke's website:

Clinical hours generally do not count towards a program's HCE requirement. Why the rush? Take a few years off, gain the experience as an athletic trainer and then apply.

agree with this statement. you need 2000 hrs for many quality programs so work for AT LEAST 1 yr.

Clinical hours generally do not count towards a program's HCE requirement. Why the rush? Take a few years off, gain the experience as an athletic trainer and then apply.

agree with this statement. you need 2000 hrs for many quality programs so work for AT LEAST 1 yr.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived