experiences from current/past duke students?

• 9 months later...

I know this post is a little older, but I know when I was searching this forum....I wanted to know the same thing, so here goes:

I've only been at Duke for two months, but the process has been amazing. My 80 classmates are some of the most inspiring people, coming from all kinds of healthcare backgrounds! The faculty and staff make every effort to see that you succeed, and survey you all the time. They value student feedback, so our class benefits from the issues raised from last year's class. Though the curriculum (especially the first semester) is high volume, it is do-able. As a wife and mom, I thought I would be limited in being able to relate to my peers...but there's 8 moms in our class. The entire class looks out for one another, and sends out study guides for each other to help with studying for the incredible volume of tests. I was surprised at the comraderie, we do not even discuss grades because it's pass/fail.

We are in class 8-5pm just about everyday, the dress code is business casual (ish), every student has a mentor from the second year & a faculty advisor. We have Anatomy Lab with cadavers on Fridays. Your tuition allows for a laptop and Ipod Touch that you use during class and clinical rotations. There are opportunities for International Rotations (currently Tanzania, Sri Lanka, Honduras, and Ecuador). The faculty and guest lecturers are leaders in their field, and work hard to make sure we receive the most up to date medical information. Our student service society (Stead Society) allows for volunteer opportunities, student leadership, and fun activities to further solidify your relations with your classmates.

It is mandatory attendance (which is hard sometimes), but all of the lectures are recorded/streamed so that when people need to relisten or had an emergency absence they still get the material.

Hope this information is helpful....Not that it's all roses and cake, but I really appreciate the rigor, my classmates, and the support of faculty/staff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, I'm a first year (so not yet experienced). Most of our clinicals are actually not through the Duke system. We are guaranteed one rotation at Duke as to see it, but we have a mandatory two rotations in an undeserved area, two rotations more than 50 miles away from Duke, and 4 global electives rotation options (Tanzania, Honduras, Ecuador, and Sri Lanka). There are also a few out of state contracted sites. We are currently being matched and will know the rotations in early April. We are granted 2 of our 4 top choices of rotation types as electives (in addition to the 8 required). Hope this helps some.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I know that this a little bit of an older topic but I was wondering if the program works with students that have families to keep them close to home for rotations. I know that they have the 2 mandatory rotations in underserved populations but apart from that will they work to keep you within driving distance? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Yes, they will do their very best to accommodate you, but there are no guarantees.   A number of students had major life events that made their lives interesting, and the program worked very hard to support them. If anything I would say they bend over backwards to accomodate, but with 80+ people to do, you may have to still do more than 2 away rotations.  Of note, many of the very best rotation sites are the away rotations.

Archived