2013 Application Cycle--Matriculation Jan 2015

I went to the information session on Saturday and talked to Rose directly.  I asked her straight up when we should hear something and that is were my information comes from.  She also stated that she does the admissions not just for the PA program but for all of the graduate programs at EVMS so it's been hectic.

I do know in the past it was the last week of May (Current students who are friends of mine). 

Yeah the waiting is not fun... I know a lot of people that want to know so that they can move on either way with things...

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, either way....just want to move on....I didn't know you could attend the information sessions if you applied currenlty.

I went to the information session on Saturday and talked to Rose directly.  I asked her straight up when we should hear something and that is were my information comes from.  She also stated that she does the admissions not just for the PA program but for all of the graduate programs at EVMS so it's been hectic.

I do know in the past it was the last week of May (Current students who are friends of mine). 

Yeah the waiting is not fun... I know a lot of people that want to know so that they can move on either way with things...

Ya, similar story for me.  Finished my undergrad in 2006...felt like a nomad in a career path I didn't love, and was bored to tears with.  Found the PA profession 4 years ago or so, and committed to going back to school, getting the necessary HCE, etc.  I tried applying last year, but missed the deadline, so this wait has literally been well over a year long just finding out if there is an interview offer.

Getting the interview is a HUGE accomplishment in itself.  I feel as though my application is very strong, but from friends who are in, have graduated, and then reading the hundreds of posts from all schools on this forum, the accepted statistics are wide ranging.  

Sounds familiar... I've been doing my job since 2000 and while I'm very good at it, it's not my passion...

Yeah I finished my pre-reqs last summer but unfortunately it was past the dead line to apply for the current program.  So slightly similiar to you were I've been waiting for a while....

One of the big things they said on Saturday is if you get an inteview you are academically qualifed to be in the program.  The interview is more about seeing if you will fit in at the school and if the school is a good fit for you.

Yup, absolutely.  When I sat with Mr. Grahame in December, he mentioned almost the same thing.  He said that the academics are weighted approximately 60% of the application followed by clinical experience, personal statement, and letters of reference weighing out the rest to be considered for the interview.

Just a quick flash of my stats: pre-reqs - 3.9, qualifying gpa - 3.81, clinical experience - 1900 hours

I worked for months and months on my personal statement, specifically tailored for EVMS (since it's the only school I applied to this round, but will apply to more this year if I do not get offered an interview), and my letters of reference I believe to be very strong, all from MD's that I have worked with during my clinical experience.  One of which is an advisory doc to EVMS that assists with the transition of MD students for ortho rotations at one of the major health systems in Hampton Roads.

I wish I could have attended this latest information session, although I had been to one previously, never hurts to meet those making the decisions :P

Sounds about the same for me: pre-reqs 4.0, qualifying gpa 4.0, EMT for 6 years (volunteer in VB) 3000+ hours

I did a spread of my LOR's using a PA who went to EVMS, Supervisor in Rescue and one from my Organic Chem Professor that I got to know fairly well due to having to spend so much time with him learning it :p

I also only applied to EVMS as I've lived here most of my life and want to stay in the area....

Yup, very similar.  I know my HCE will be the weakest area on my application considering a lot of people will come from nursing, emt, and military backgrounds.  I also know that if I'm not accepted I will be getting qualified as at EMT-B as soon as possible and work/volunteer with a fire station or ambulance service.

I'm from Michigan, but relocated here in August.  First, because my wife was offered a great opportunity at RHS, and secondly, I put all my eggs in one basket with EVMS.  I'd really like to not have to move if possible to attend another school in a different state.

The biggest complication for me personally is that my undergrad gpa was 3.1, so I have been mainly focusing on schools that offer the replacement qualifying gpa from 40-60 most recent credit hours as EVMS does.  I have only found maybe a dozen or so that actually do that unfortunately. I wish there was a standardized application system for PA schools, where they adhere to similar qualifications, etc.  I know that doesn't make for the best indication of success for potential students but would greatly increase the pool of schools people changing careers could apply to.  

haha anyway, enough of my ranting, I need to get out for a run.

- I feel you all, I am constantly checking my email, junk mail and waking up in the middle of the night I am so anxious! I also find myself questioning the competitiveness of my application though I exceed last years average accepted stats- I feel like many of you are just as competitive :)  

I do have over 10,000 HCE hours and currently work in neurosurgery as a neurophysiologist so that's a big help but again, sounds like you all have worked just as hard. My husband is actually in the middle of a promotion and is moving 5 hours away so I will be staying in our house until I know if I get into EVMS so I don't have to start with a new company. I feel like I have worked so hard for this and have so much riding on my application status! That and I am a planner so it is killing me not to know with so many other changes going on around me.

As you stated CROSSFIT, I was hoping they would send out the emails at the end of May as I had noticed on prior forum comments but now that its going to be a few more WEEKS I may go mad haha! Good luck to you all, and if anyone hears about an exact date for email notification please post it so I can sleep at night! 

@Bnicole:  I'm a huge planner as well.  I'm currently a software engineer so I'm use to putting things in order and having a plan so unknowns are always "fun" to manage....

Oh I'm sure that the moment anyone gets an email that they will post here about it (especially since they are later than normal). 

Best luck to all

@bnicole, trust me, I'm right there with you with the lack of sleep. I keep rethinking my application in my mind, reread my personal statement over and over picking any minute change I could have done to make it better (which I did literally hundreds of times before I submitted it).

Being a planner I am needing to know too!

Glad to know I'm not the only one that has continued to look at my things and trying to pick them apart, or look at my email at 2:35am when I wake up to see if possibly they sent something out in the middle of thenight...

haha- of course logically we all know this won't happen but I keep thinking - "juuuust maybe there's a chance...."  As soon as I check my email I am on here checking for a recent post indicative of emails sent out.

:(....so...I can't compete with any of you guys........your stats and background are amazing....well good luck on the interview....stop stressing you guys got this....if a miracle happens and I do get an interview I will let you know......

whoooooosahhhhhhhhhh

C step, Do you have a list of the other schools 40-60 replacement ? I am in the same boat, 3.4 GPA prior 18D Medic 10 yrs. I was not serious about school when I graduated in 1999...... I live in VB... waiting for the word from EVMS.....

I am not sure what stage they are in, nor whether they plan to admit out of state, but the University of North Carolina is opening a PA program that plans on admitting special ops medics ONLY, like 18D.....

http://www.med.unc.edu/ahs/unc-pa

:(....so...I can't compete with any of you guys........your stats and background are amazing....well good luck on the interview....stop stressing you guys got this....if a miracle happens and I do get an interview I will let you know......

whoooooosahhhhhhhhhh

what are your stats if you are comfortable sharing? Don't be discouraged, to get where I am has taken years of hard work and a bit of rejection too so don't feel like it is unattainable, it may just take you some time. It may or may not happen this year for you but stay positive and don't stop working on your weaknesses during your wait period! Also, don't put all of your eggs in one basket, consider applying to multiple schools where you meet their requirements :) Hang in there!

C step, Do you have a list of the other schools 40-60 replacement ? I am in the same boat, 3.4 GPA prior 18D Medic 10 yrs. I was not serious about school when I graduated in 1999...... I live in VB... waiting for the word from EVMS.....

There are many schools that will accept 2.8 GPA and above, and the few I know of who do grade replacement are Bethel in TN, Missouri State, harding U in Arkansas makes exceptions if you apply early as far as I know. I don't think your GPA is that bad though given your experience- if you have strong preqs I imagine you would still be considered :) 

I echo Bnicole.... They really stressed the whole person application.  They don't want a cookie-cutter applicant.  They want someone who is going to be good for the program and the program will be good for...  Also they do look at the last 40 if it's better.  Also if you explained it in your Personal Statement it helps as well.  Remember some people will be at the high end, others the low end, and others smack in the middle.  I would say don't count anything out until it's a done deal.

Hey, no problem. I have a 3.6 replacement and a 3.3 prereq gpa. I also hold a Mph. I have over 4 yrs healthcare experience as a nutritionist. My lors are from a np, rd, and md. My ps could have been a little stronger i guess looking back! This is my first year applying. Wasn't sure of the logistics and I didn't find this helpful forum until after i applied.

Either way I am good! I said i would only apply once to pa and if it didn't work out I would move on. I already been accepted into a direct entry msn nursing program and a accelerated bsn program. So, the Pa is number one, but I can reach my ultimate goal of running my own practice as a np.

Good luck to you and thanks for the well wishes!

what are your stats if you are comfortable sharing? Don't be discouraged, to get where I am has taken years of hard work and a bit of rejection too so don't feel like it is unattainable, it may just take you some time. It may or may not happen this year for you but stay positive and don't stop working on your weaknesses during your wait period! Also, don't put all of your eggs in one basket, consider applying to multiple schools where you meet their requirements :) Hang in there!

Archived