Is this fine to do?

Of course it is, but never had time for a job, and did this over the course of 10 months during my first year in college. Didn't have time to get a certification that takes half a year.

emt-b is 120 hrs and can be done fairly quickly there are all day weekend courses, etc. cna is 80 hrs and can be done in 2 weeks.

Of course it is, but never had time for a job, and did this over the course of 10 months during my first year in college. Didn't have time to get a certification that takes half a year.

emt-b is 120 hrs and can be done fairly quickly there are all day weekend courses, etc. cna is 80 hrs and can be done in 2 weeks.

The only EMT-B program near by for me is full for Summer and Fall and is about 2 months (length isn't too bad), it's just full - only problem.

Other than that other programs are very long, and CNA is about 2 weeks ( I registered).

The only EMT-B program near by for me is full for Summer and Fall and is about 2 months (length isn't too bad), it's just full - only problem.

Other than that other programs are very long, and CNA is about 2 weeks ( I registered).

You are better off taking a year off, working, and then applying next cycle. Trust me you do not want to go into PA school having no experience. It is very difficult WITH experience. But when you cannot put experience on anything you are learning, it is very difficult to learn things because you do not have a lot of time in PA school to do the actual "learning." It is too fast paced.

I'm applying this cycle 2013-2014

I have no hands-on experience and am applying to schools that don't necessarily require HCE or will substitute shadowing/volutneer for HCE hrs etc.

But....While I'm in the process, I'm getting my CNA certification May 31st after I graduate the 2nd week of May with my B.S degree with a 3.5+ cGPA and 3.3+ sGPA hopefully. Will it at least show that I'll have one whole year to gain hands-on exp when I'm applying? I'm assuming some programs will like to have it by the time of application, but again I'm being choosy in which schools I'm applying too that cater to my background

I have:

400+ hrs MD/PA shadowing

9 months neuro research

9 months ER volunteer - 100+ hrs

4 months Shelter volunteer 50+ hrs

You are better off taking a year off, working, and then applying next cycle. Trust me you do not want to go into PA school having no experience. It is very difficult WITH experience. But when you cannot put experience on anything you are learning, it is very difficult to learn things because you do not have a lot of time in PA school to do the actual "learning." It is too fast paced.

I have no hands-on experience and am applying to schools that don't necessarily require HCE or will substitute shadowing/volutneer for HCE hrs etc.

But....While I'm in the process, I'm getting my CNA certification May 31st after I graduate the 2nd week of May with my B.S degree with a 3.5+ cGPA and 3.3+ sGPA hopefully. Will it at least show that I'll have one whole year to gain hands-on exp when I'm applying? I'm assuming some programs will like to have it by the time of application, but again I'm being choosy in which schools I'm applying too that cater to my background

I have:

400+ hrs MD/PA shadowing

9 months neuro research

I have:

400+ hrs MD/PA shadowing

9 months neuro research

One thing to consider is that some schools give you a little bump up if you are a second time applicant. So if you apply this year, don't get in, next year you'd have a better chance than if you just postponed everything. Not the cheapest option but its one thing to think about. I would definitely get some certificate to work in healthcare. I wouldn't throw everything into getting into a school that doesn't require HCE. If you like healthcare, getting a job as anything (CNA, EMT, etc.) is better than nothing while you are waiting around. And shadowing and volunteering is much different than actually working.

One thing to consider is that some schools give you a little bump up if you are a second time applicant. So if you apply this year, don't get in, next year you'd have a better chance than if you just postponed everything. Not the cheapest option but its one thing to think about. I would definitely get some certificate to work in healthcare. I wouldn't throw everything into getting into a school that doesn't require HCE. If you like healthcare, getting a job as anything (CNA, EMT, etc.) is better than nothing while you are waiting around. And shadowing and volunteering is much different than actually working.

Archived