Any schools accept transfers from Medical school students

I fully realize that pa school is as competitive to get into as Medical school.

Also Realize that it is as hard as medical school.

being able to spend the 2nd year primiarly doing clinicals in my hometown where I lived before starting medical school will save me even more money.

PA school is very hard to get into, with smaller class sizes. Each school I applied to has been setting new applicant records every year. Considering all the applicants to my program only the top 3% were accepted, and each year that number gets smaller.

PA school is MUCH faster pace than med school. Every med student I've spoken with who knows what we go through fully agrees. Not to say anything about your didactic ability, but don't think they are the same. MD's are the marathon runners, PA's are the sprinters.

Don't bank on being able to rotate anywhere you want (like your hometown). I don't know much about all the programs out there but the ones I researched and applied to don't give you any choice where you rotate. Whether there is a preceptor there or not, it's not up to the student.

You are a minimum of three years from this coming fall (for most programs) from graduating, assuming you get accepted your first year applying. And like others have said, a former med student is not going to help your cause. You came here looking for advice, take it, and stay in Med School.

Good luck.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

being able to spend the 2nd year primiarly doing clinicals in my hometown where I lived before starting medical school will save me even more money.

PA school is very hard to get into, with smaller class sizes. Each school I applied to has been setting new applicant records every year. Considering all the applicants to my program only the top 3% were accepted, and each year that number gets smaller.

PA school is MUCH faster pace than med school. Every med student I've spoken with who knows what we go through fully agrees. Not to say anything about your didactic ability, but don't think they are the same. MD's are the marathon runners, PA's are the sprinters.

Don't bank on being able to rotate anywhere you want (like your hometown). I don't know much about all the programs out there but the ones I researched and applied to don't give you any choice where you rotate. Whether there is a preceptor there or not, it's not up to the student.

You are a minimum of three years from this coming fall (for most programs) from graduating, assuming you get accepted your first year applying. And like others have said, a former med student is not going to help your cause. You came here looking for advice, take it, and stay in Med School.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I appreciate the honest opinions.

For me it is simple now. I don't want to be an MD I want to be a PA. Sure it will be three years at best from now before I finish the program ( 1 year until it starts and 2 years of program) but still that works for my personal situation far better than the MD route.

I am going to bust my rear volunteering in clinics and rock the application process. Review what I learned my first 2 years of med school until I get in to make the first year go smoother.

It is a way for me to rectify some bad decisions and interact with patients in the way I feel most at peace and comfortable with.

I wish I had a traditional approach, would make life less painful, but a divorce later and I am grateful for this different career path in my future. It gives me hope and makes me happy that I can still get this all done before I would even be finished with residency if I continued the other way.

Best wishes to everyone on their paths too.

Peace

For me it is simple now. I don't want to be an MD I want to be a PA. Sure it will be three years at best from now before I finish the program ( 1 year until it starts and 2 years of program) but still that works for my personal situation far better than the MD route.

I am going to bust my rear volunteering in clinics and rock the application process. Review what I learned my first 2 years of med school until I get in to make the first year go smoother.

It is a way for me to rectify some bad decisions and interact with patients in the way I feel most at peace and comfortable with.

I wish I had a traditional approach, would make life less painful, but a divorce later and I am grateful for this different career path in my future. It gives me hope and makes me happy that I can still get this all done before I would even be finished with residency if I continued the other way.

Peace

Peace

I just hope you are making this decision for you, and not for your spouse. I chose PA school because my husband was unsupportive of med school. We still divorced and I will graduate med school next year, 14 years after PA school. I've been grateful for my career opportunities and very blessed to be a PA but it would have been cheaper if I had gone to med school directly.

I just hope you are making this decision for you, and not for your spouse. I chose PA school because my husband was unsupportive of med school. We still divorced and I will graduate med school next year, 14 years after PA school. I've been grateful for my career opportunities and very blessed to be a PA but it would have been cheaper if I had gone to med school directly.

To the OP-

Be warned, even though you were accepted to med school, there is a very real chance you may not get into PA school on your first attempt, second attempt or ever for that matter. The number of applicants at some programs are doubling on a yearly basis. A few of the programs I applied to last year had well over 2000 applicants for their 30-40 seats. Some sent out emails explaining the unprecedented nature of the application cycle, and apologizing for delayed responses and interview invites. I have no doubts that the upcoming years will continue to see heavy increases in an already EXTREMELY competitive environment.

Applying to PA school is a whole different beast than it was even 5 years ago. The average undergrad GPA's in my class are sterling- these are people who would have been competitive applicants for any number of med schools, but they CHOSE PA instead. These people have been PA bound for many years, and they don't have the potential stigma associated w/ dropping out of med school. I am not saying you won't get in, but the cards are stacked against you and you need to at least consider the possibility that you may not get accepted to a PA program, with no shot at returning to med school.

To the OP-

Be warned, even though you were accepted to med school, there is a very real chance you may not get into PA school on your first attempt, second attempt or ever for that matter. The number of applicants at some programs are doubling on a yearly basis. A few of the programs I applied to last year had well over 2000 applicants for their 30-40 seats. Some sent out emails explaining the unprecedented nature of the application cycle, and apologizing for delayed responses and interview invites. I have no doubts that the upcoming years will continue to see heavy increases in an already EXTREMELY competitive environment.

Applying to PA school is a whole different beast than it was even 5 years ago. The average undergrad GPA's in my class are sterling- these are people who would have been competitive applicants for any number of med schools, but they CHOSE PA instead. These people have been PA bound for many years, and they don't have the potential stigma associated w/ dropping out of med school. I am not saying you won't get in, but the cards are stacked against you and you need to at least consider the possibility that you may not get accepted to a PA program, with no shot at returning to med school.

To the OP-

I have to agree that you should stick with your current path mostly because you've invested time and money already, but if you have chosen to switch I wish you luck. I do want to say, though, that the warnings that you may not get in are very serious. I by no means would say it's more difficult to get into a PA program than an MD program (I never applied to MD) as the GPAs tend to be higher in med school applicants overall and I don't know anything about the MCAT, but the percentage of med school applicants who matriculate after applying through AMCAS has been significantly higher lately than those who applied to PA school through CASPA according to data released by AAMC and PAEA. I'm talking almost one seat for every two applicants through AMCAS versus 1 seat for every 3.5 applicants through CASPA. I don't have any clue about non-CASPA programs, so you may find the numbers work out better if you include them. It would be very disappointing for you, I assume, to drop out of med school now and never get into a PA program. If I were you I would consider how I would feel and what I would do if that ended up being the case before I made a huge decision like that.

I have to agree that you should stick with your current path mostly because you've invested time and money already, but if you have chosen to switch I wish you luck. I do want to say, though, that the warnings that you may not get in are very serious. I by no means would say it's more difficult to get into a PA program than an MD program (I never applied to MD) as the GPAs tend to be higher in med school applicants overall and I don't know anything about the MCAT, but the percentage of med school applicants who matriculate after applying through AMCAS has been significantly higher lately than those who applied to PA school through CASPA according to data released by AAMC and PAEA. I'm talking almost one seat for every two applicants through AMCAS versus 1 seat for every 3.5 applicants through CASPA. I don't have any clue about non-CASPA programs, so you may find the numbers work out better if you include them. It would be very disappointing for you, I assume, to drop out of med school now and never get into a PA program. If I were you I would consider how I would feel and what I would do if that ended up being the case before I made a huge decision like that.

Appreciate the warning and good advice too. Yeah getting in is certainly not a guarantee. Although because I left the medical school in good standing and passed the board, I contacted the PA school I am hoping to get into, and discussed the situation with them. Someone from the College of Medicine was even kind enough to speak with the PA school on my behalf to vouche for me as a person and student.

So it is not given I will get in, but I have established a connection there to let them know of my intentions so it does seem favorable before I yank the med school rip cord.

Ball is sort of in my court now to show I am truly dedicated I think by getting back in the free clinics in this year off and rocking the GRE.

So we'll see what happens but with hard work I like my odds.

Appreciate the warning and good advice too. Yeah getting in is certainly not a guarantee. Although because I left the medical school in good standing and passed the board, I contacted the PA school I am hoping to get into, and discussed the situation with them. Someone from the College of Medicine was even kind enough to speak with the PA school on my behalf to vouche for me as a person and student.

So it is not given I will get in, but I have established a connection there to let them know of my intentions so it does seem favorable before I yank the med school rip cord.

Ball is sort of in my court now to show I am truly dedicated I think by getting back in the free clinics in this year off and rocking the GRE.

Archived