Any schools accept transfers from Medical school students

Agree with all above.

If you have not yet quit med school, PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND CALL PA PROGRAMS YOURSELF AND ASK IF THEY WOULD CONSIDER YOU. Many won't. Whether it's a bias or not, it's just the state of things in many PA programs. There are far more applicants than there are seats and most programs have a mission to select those they feel will be best suited to the PA career. A med school dropout raises red flags.

If you have already dropped out, you are foolish, but it's your life. You will likely be sitting out more than this year (at minimum, a new application season opens soon!) and your knowledge will atrophy. Unless you are an unusual medical student you likely lack the 1000-2000 hr direct pt care experience most PA programs require. Your student loans will go into repayment and your ability to borrow further for PA school may be affected.

I strongly urge you to consider all the angles here. We aren't noobs. Unless you're a troll and just here to stir the pot which seems more likely with your last post.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey

No troll at all and all your advice is well taken and appreciated. I do have the clinical hours to apply and I fully realize that pa school is as competitive to get into as Medical school. Also Realize that it is as hard as medical school.

During an interprofessionalism class a PA student stated his reasons for wanting to be a PA instead of a MD. Made a lot of sense to me. Even if I have to wait a year to get into the program, still worth it to me.

I can do a lot in this year off with my personal time, and independently keep my knowledge and volunteer in clinics. Again finishing 2 more years of medical school and 3 more years of residency just is not worth it to me when I can do the same thing in aprox 2 years.

Again all your reasons make sense just my personal situation it would be better for me to go the PA route now. Wish I would have realized it before I started medical school. But I realize it now and rather than just force my way through 5 more years, I am going to do the less practical thing of going the PA route. Means I get back to my hometown quicker, and again even if I have to wait a year, there are a lot of things I can do in that year to keep myself competitive and maintain personal satisfaction in life.

So again I know it might sound wierd, All your advice would be good for someone who wanted to be a medical doctor. I just would rather be a PA

By the way tuition of PA school to MD is 1/3 the price, so 2 more years of PA school will cost me 1/3 the price of finishing my MD and being able to spend the 2nd year primiarly doing clinicals in my hometown where I lived before starting medical school will save me even more money.

Just a different perspecitve. Know it doesn't apply to everyone but might be others out there with similar situation as me. So thought worth doing into more detail.

Thanks and peace

Hey

No troll at all and all your advice is well taken and appreciated. I do have the clinical hours to apply and I fully realize that pa school is as competitive to get into as Medical school. Also Realize that it is as hard as medical school.

During an interprofessionalism class a PA student stated his reasons for wanting to be a PA instead of a MD. Made a lot of sense to me. Even if I have to wait a year to get into the program, still worth it to me.

I can do a lot in this year off with my personal time, and independently keep my knowledge and volunteer in clinics. Again finishing 2 more years of medical school and 3 more years of residency just is not worth it to me when I can do the same thing in aprox 2 years.

Again all your reasons make sense just my personal situation it would be better for me to go the PA route now. Wish I would have realized it before I started medical school. But I realize it now and rather than just force my way through 5 more years, I am going to do the less practical thing of going the PA route. Means I get back to my hometown quicker, and again even if I have to wait a year, there are a lot of things I can do in that year to keep myself competitive and maintain personal satisfaction in life.

So again I know it might sound wierd, All your advice would be good for someone who wanted to be a medical doctor. I just would rather be a PA

By the way tuition of PA school to MD is 1/3 the price, so 2 more years of PA school will cost me 1/3 the price of finishing my MD and being able to spend the 2nd year primiarly doing clinicals in my hometown where I lived before starting medical school will save me even more money.

Just a different perspecitve. Know it doesn't apply to everyone but might be others out there with similar situation as me. So thought worth doing into more detail.

Thanks and peace

Hey

Thanks and peace

Hey

Thanks and peace

You will be out at least 1 yr for apps.(OR MAYBE FOREVER AS MANY PROGRAMS SPECIFICALLY WILL NOT TAKE FOLKS WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY BEEN IN MEDICAL SCHOOL) Then 2 yrs for a program. You could graduate and finish an internship allowing you to practice independently in the same time! Many states allow anyone with an internship to practice. You don't even need to finish the residency. I would give almost anything to be in your place today. Don't throw it away.

You will be out at least 1 yr for apps.(OR MAYBE FOREVER AS MANY PROGRAMS SPECIFICALLY WILL NOT TAKE FOLKS WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY BEEN IN MEDICAL SCHOOL) Then 2 yrs for a program. You could graduate and finish an internship allowing you to practice independently in the same time! Many states allow anyone with an internship to practice. You don't even need to finish the residency. I would give almost anything to be in your place today. Don't throw it away.

I think you should stay and it would be foolish to leave. In the spirit of showing both sides though, here is a video of someone who did what you are thinking about doing:

http://www.mypatraining.com/pa-vs-md-meet-sundance-shes-done-both

WOW! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you posting this video!!! I am around the same age, and though I am not pregnant, me and my wife did separate around the time I took the board end of my second year. Been traumatic. I passed the board and am in good standing with the medical school but also on a LOA and my eyes got opened just like her word for word almost on how being a PA fit my personal situation SO much better than pushing through for an MD.

Great to know I am not alone and gives me MUCH hope and drive seeing some else managed to do it! I needed that encouragement tonight.

As for doing just 1 year of residency, the problem with that is insurances don't really cover you much and hospitals don't give you much privivlages. Even doc in the boxes are starting to require board certification now.

So as she says in the video being a PA would allow me to do what I want to accomplish in my hometown, and given my personal situation just makes so much more sense for me at this point in ways I would probably also need to make a video to fully describe...

So thanks again for posting!

I think you should stay and it would be foolish to leave. In the spirit of showing both sides though, here is a video of someone who did what you are thinking about doing:

WOW! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you posting this video!!! I am around the same age, and though I am not pregnant, me and my wife did separate around the time I took the board end of my second year. Been traumatic. I passed the board and am in good standing with the medical school but also on a LOA and my eyes got opened just like her word for word almost on how being a PA fit my personal situation SO much better than pushing through for an MD.

Great to know I am not alone and gives me MUCH hope and drive seeing some else managed to do it! I needed that encouragement tonight.

As for doing just 1 year of residency, the problem with that is insurances don't really cover you much and hospitals don't give you much privivlages. Even doc in the boxes are starting to require board certification now.

So as she says in the video being a PA would allow me to do what I want to accomplish in my hometown, and given my personal situation just makes so much more sense for me at this point in ways I would probably also need to make a video to fully describe...

Archived