Any schools accept transfers from Medical school students

I am currently a 2nd year medical student and passed the step 1. However after talking with many PA's and shadowing them. I now realize that PA is what my true calling is, not an MD. I am anxious to return to my rural hometown and get to work practicing medicine, rather than finish up 2 more years of school and 3 years of residency when everything I want to do with medicine can be done and done more the way I want to do it through becoming a PA.

I know that most PA school's do not allow for advance placement. However with the shortage of medical professionals in rural areas, I am hoping to find a few that might be open to considering the benefits of transferring a medical student ready to start clinicals into their PA program.

- So does anyone know of PA school's that have transferred medical students into their program?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, no. I am also an M2 taking step 1 next month (PA-C for 13 yr).

You would be best off to finish your last 2 yr and at minimum intern year so you can be fully licensed. I strongly advise you to stick it out and complete a full residency. You will be able to do more for your rural patients as a fully licensed physician with PA colleagues on staff. Unfortunately if you change paths now you will have to start at first semester of PA school and that would be a waste all around.

Good luck.

I know of a friend that did M1, and applied to PA school at the same institution and it took her two application cycles to get in (she is starting PA school with me in 3 weeks!). The AdComs will be leery of your motives for making this switch; they gave her a hard time despite her GRE scores, pt care experience, exceptional letters of reference and Spanish fluency, simply because they felt she was using PA as the "easy way out". This past application cycle she applied to nursing programs where she was accepted and a few other PA programs where she was interviewed but waitlisted. At the program we'll both be joining they grilled her again during her second attempt in the interview, and she really had to have a good reason for making the switch. So, I think it should not be assumed that you'll automatically be accepted to school on the first try, even if you've already proven yourself in med school. I agree with prima, finish school so that you'll not be wasting you time.

Switching paths now would probably take you as long as it would to finish med school and primary care residency, especially if you don't have patient care experience. Just stick to med school.

Switching paths now would probably take you as long as it would to finish med school and primary care residency, especially if you don't have patient care experience. Just stick to med school.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think given I could do 2 more years of md or 27 months of PA, in my situation starting PA from scratch would still make more sense because a PA can actually see patients where as an MD w/o residency can't. I don't want a job with drug company or research. I like seeing patients.

In a rural family practice clinic I would be doing the same thing a family doc does pretty much as a PA.

And for me I don't care about having MD by my name or the extra money. The PA salary is more than enough. What I do care about is not having to give up 3 more years of my life to residency just to do basically the same thing I could do in just 2 more years of school.

So even if nothing transfers. I would still rather in about the same time get my PA rather than an MD that is useless without 3 more years of residency.

Just my situation given my age, family situation, etc. Sure it's different for every person though.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think given I could do 2 more years of md or 27 months of PA, in my situation starting PA from scratch would still make more sense because a PA can actually see patients where as an MD w/o residency can't. I don't want a job with drug company or research. I like seeing patients.

In a rural family practice clinic I would be doing the same thing a family doc does pretty much as a PA.

And for me I don't care about having MD by my name or the extra money. The PA salary is more than enough. What I do care about is not having to give up 3 more years of my life to residency just to do basically the same thing I could do in just 2 more years of school.

So even if nothing transfers. I would still rather in about the same time get my PA rather than an MD that is useless without 3 more years of residency.

Just my situation given my age, family situation, etc. Sure it's different for every person though.

If it takes you a year or 2 to get into PA school, you will be giving up basically the same amount of time as you would by just finishing your MD and doing a residency. I wouldn't underestimate the difficulty in getting into PA school, especially given that you have already finished two years of med school. On the one hand it shows you can do the work, but on the other it might be a huge red flag for a lot of programs.

If it takes you a year or 2 to get into PA school, you will be giving up basically the same amount of time as you would by just finishing your MD and doing a residency. I wouldn't underestimate the difficulty in getting into PA school, especially given that you have already finished two years of med school. On the one hand it shows you can do the work, but on the other it might be a huge red flag for a lot of programs.

Just go into FP. You can have a residency that still allows for a normal life.

Agree with all above.

If you have not yet quit med school, PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND CALL PA PROGRAMS YOURSELF AND ASK IF THEY WOULD CONSIDER YOU. Many won't. Whether it's a bias or not, it's just the state of things in many PA programs. There are far more applicants than there are seats and most programs have a mission to select those they feel will be best suited to the PA career. A med school dropout raises red flags.

If you have already dropped out, you are foolish, but it's your life. You will likely be sitting out more than this year (at minimum, a new application season opens soon!) and your knowledge will atrophy. Unless you are an unusual medical student you likely lack the 1000-2000 hr direct pt care experience most PA programs require. Your student loans will go into repayment and your ability to borrow further for PA school may be affected.

I strongly urge you to consider all the angles here. We aren't noobs. Unless you're a troll and just here to stir the pot which seems more likely with your last post.

Agree with all above.

If you have not yet quit med school, PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND CALL PA PROGRAMS YOURSELF AND ASK IF THEY WOULD CONSIDER YOU. Many won't. Whether it's a bias or not, it's just the state of things in many PA programs. There are far more applicants than there are seats and most programs have a mission to select those they feel will be best suited to the PA career. A med school dropout raises red flags.

If you have already dropped out, you are foolish, but it's your life. You will likely be sitting out more than this year (at minimum, a new application season opens soon!) and your knowledge will atrophy. Unless you are an unusual medical student you likely lack the 1000-2000 hr direct pt care experience most PA programs require. Your student loans will go into repayment and your ability to borrow further for PA school may be affected.

I strongly urge you to consider all the angles here. We aren't noobs. Unless you're a troll and just here to stir the pot which seems more likely with your last post.

Agree with all above.

Archived