Certifications

Hello all, I was hoping some of you could help me come to a decision with your feedback. I am debating if I want to re-certify my EMT after two years, one of those years I worked as an EMT and obtained over 2,000 hours of health care experience. I have no intention to work as an EMT again, however I am applying to PA school this cycle and with the certification being expired makes me think I have to. Some reasons why I am hesitant to do it is cost, time, already in school full-time, work full-time, and lastly the time crunch to get it done before I submit through CASPA (by the beginning of June). I guess my question is, would it look bad to not re-certifed on my application. Any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

I believe you can renew that certification in just one weekend or so, if it has not expired yet. If it's actually expired I think you have to do the whole class over, which might not be worth it. If you have another job which counts as HCE maybe you don't need the EMT anymore. But if I were you I'd have a plan for getting more HCE even after you submit your application, in case you don't get in this cycle and have to apply again next year.

Archived