Boston University PA Program

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Since people will probably read this thread during next year's round of admissions I just wanted to put in a few words about my experience at the BU interview day. Ultimately I decided not to attend BU, but had I not gotten into my number 1 school I was thrilled to be attending BU. It's a brand new program, so there isn't very much information out there about it. Let me try to give everyone a little glimpse so you have an idea of what to expect!

Honestly, I didn't expect too much going into the interview, given that it was literally the first interview day for the PA program -ever-! Consequently, things didn't always go exactly according to the plan that Mary and the adcom team laid out for us all, but they handled bumps in the schedule very well and were able to make sure everyone was comfortable and got the attention they deserved. Like most interviews, we were broken up into groups and cycled through various interview settings and a tour. The building we were in housed the PA office as well as the medical school, classrooms, library, cadaver lab, everything. The building is a little old and dreary compared to what I'm used to, but it was also cozy and everyone we passed in the hallways seemed pleasant and happy with where they were. In the first year, BU's PA program basically has its students take the 2nd year med school classes: same tests, same lectures, same everything, with some additional PA-focused classes sprinkled on top. The classrooms are big, comfy, students are dressed casually, and all lectures are recorded and posted online. The cadaver lab looked fairly typical of all the other cadaver labs I've seen. The library was a little small, and I wasn't really a fan. If I went to BU, I'd probably be on the hunt for a better study spot. The hospital is actually connected to the medical school by a little bridge, which is undoubtedly convenient in the winter.

The interviews themselves were in depth enough that I really felt that I'd explained myself well and allowed the adcom to get a good sense of who I am. That was a pretty rare thing in all the interviews I attended, so I really appreciated that. The interviewers attitudes were generally pleasant and nice, but also aloof, so I felt neither intimidated nor uncomfortably casual. Everyone also got to have a one on one interview with Mary, the program director, who is a really interesting person. I think she was probably the program director I liked best out of all the ones I met at the six schools I interviewed at, and when I got accepted a few days later, she called me personally to tell me, even though I'm sure it was after hours for her. I got the impression that she is focused, driven, but also very interested and invested in the lives of her students and what each individual could bring to her program. When I questioned the decision to have the PA students just take the same classes as the medical students, she was adamant that doctors and PAs should have the same knowledge base. Respect! If you're thinking about attending BU, you'll be in good hands. (Plus, she was formerly the program director of Yale's PA program AND she went to Emory. As an Emory grad, I can tell you that all the Emory PAs I know are awesome.)

As for the other interviewees-- and yeah, I judge schools based on the other people at my interview day, and so should you, because that's the kind of person that they're interested in and all the schools had quite different interviewee pools-- they were probably the most interesting group of people I had seen out of any of the schools I'd interviewed at. I think BU doesn't have a clinical experience requirement (maybe?), which allowed people from all walks of life to be present. There were artists and travelers and people who'd worked on fishing boats...so cool! I had so much fun talking with those people, (and if they're reading this, hey! <3 hope everything worked out wonderfully for all of you!) Obviously you had some more traditional candidates present like myself, but the addition of a more non-traditional crowd made just sitting and talking to my fellow interviewees a more enriched experience. I think anyone who ends up going to BU will have a really great cohort of classmates to learn from and grow with.

Basically BU is awesome and it was a lot harder than I expected to turn down a seat there.

• 7 months later...

Thus far we have completed an intense 3 month semester and are in the beginning of the med school courses (DRx).

1st Semester

We took Basic Sciences, a dissection Anatomy lab (was incredible), Physiology which is a lot of work (seriously, it's 8 hours less than the med school which they take over a year), a research course teaching you how to interpret literature and a clinical course that teaches you how to do a physical exam. My personal experience was that the work load leaves you little time to do anything else, but you will learn a tremendous amount.

2nd Semester

We've only taken 1 med school exam thus far, but to my knowledge we have all done very well. It's still a lot of work, but not nearly as intense as the 1st semester. I'm very happy that we will have almost identical educations as the MDs and I think we will be well prepared for our rotations.

Overall

I'm very pleased with the program and would highly recommend it. 

If you have any specific questions, just let me/us know.

• 1 month later...

I got an invite this afternoon. Seems like there are a lot of dates available, so don't worry, more will go out I'm sure!

Congratulations!!

I know it doesn't necessarily mean anything to not have recieved an invite today, but it is disappointing nonetheless.. would you mind sharing with us when you submitted your CASPA and/or your supplemental?

Hi everyone,

I received an interview invite today! Do the current students have any idea if BU operates on a rolling admissions during the interview dates? Meaning, if I attend a later interview date due to my schedule, will some spots already be filled? I appreciate any information you can give.

Thanks!

I believe it is rolling admissions unless they are changing it from last year. However, there was a pretty good spread from each interview group so I wouldn't worry about enrolling in a later group. I was admitted from the last group and a few of my friends in class were too. Hope that helps.

-Chris

• 1 month later...

Archived