thoughts about PAOS...

Never attended a PAOS conference...any thoughts or comments from those who have?

Do they ever review things like understanding plates and screws i.e. small frag set, mini frag set, IM rodding and the mechanics behind them and when to use them? It's usually stuff you learn on the job but not everyone can attend an AO course....would be helpful.

What aspects of trauma do they cover? Classification systems, DVT prophylactic protocols, antibiotic regimens, etc?

Any thoughts would be appreciated....

• 1 month later...

I've attended several PAOS conferences (as well as the AAOS, AANA, AOSSM, AAPA, state PA meeting, etc). I have found the PAOS conferences to have a variety of topics that are geared toward PAs practicing in ortho surgery. It is also a great place to network with other PAs - new grads to seasoned PAs. The program has been posted at http://www.paos.org/cme/schedule for this year's conference in San Antonio, TX.

~unique

• 2 months later...

I have been to 1 PAOS conference, and have been a member since I was a student member. I enjoyed the conference, as I was still fairly new to ortho when I went. I have missed the last 2 years, because I didn't NOT like the cities they were being hosted in. There are too many other CME options out there each year in places I want to go to waste my time in boring locations. It is my ONLY criticism of the PAOS conferences. The one I went to had a hands on plating course that allowed us to plate a distal radius (sawbones), and learn more about the systems. I think they offer similar courses each year. Overall I would say go to at least one. See what you think!

Archived