Group Health Invites Us to JOIN THEM!!!!

If you had followed our saga (can't find the posting right now) when I opened my own clinic, Group Heath refused to do business with us. I had to drop almost 500 patients. We began a long battle to change this. We met with them. We had letter writing campaigns. The list could go on and on. We got the state Insurance Commissioner involved.

Today, in the mail, I have an invitation to join them. Words cannot describe what this means for our clinic as they are the number one insurer in our region.

If you had followed our saga (can't find the posting right now) when I opened my own clinic, Group Heath refused to do business with us. I had to drop almost 500 patients. We began a long battle to change this. We met with them. We had letter writing campaigns. The list could go on and on. We got the state Insurance Commissioner involved.

Today, in the mail, I have an invitation to join them. Words cannot describe what this means for our clinic as they are the number one insurer in our region.

Wonderful outcome to your struggle!

This is fantastic...

What the hell happened?

Wonderful gain to your practice.. But the devil will be in the details... Will they be recognizing you as owner and primary practitioner? Will they be sending YOU Letters and referrals, or the SP?

What will you be giving up..

I know this potentially opens the floodgates ( the fact that you appear to be the only headache clinic still accepting new patients wouldn't have anything to do with this, would it? )

Did the letter come from low level admin, or someone who counts?

I am ecstatic for you.. But they have been so vitriolic and downright prejudiced against you from the beginning.l I cannot help but be suspicious...

And would not "cut them any deals" on contracts....

It is a long story but I will give you a synopsis.

I had given up completely. Then, about two months ago, I had some (GH) patients ask me once again to fight for them to get GH to contract with us. I decided to write the Insurance Commissioner. When I explained to him our whole story, he thought we had a case.

The commissioner then wrote GH and CC to us.

GH wrote back that they had the right to “protect their shareholders” with good investments. The Commissioner sent me a copy of the letter.

I prepared a quick presentation (same one I had made to GH) that we were offering their subscribers a better service that in the end would actually save GH and their shareholders a lot of money and the real issue was professional discrimination because I, a PA, was the practice owner.

Then the commissioner wrote back to both of us that our presentation made sense . . . but, their job was to protect the public and this seemed to be a disagreement between two businesses and (here was my bait) that they had not heard from a single subscriber.

We circled our wagons. We had a file full of both patients’ letters and GH PCPs’ begging to have the opportunity to see us/refer their patients to us. We then contacted about 40 of those patients and asked them to write the commissioner directly and to express to him what they had to us. We had them mail their letters to us so that we could make sure they got mailed in a timely manner. We sent the commissioner a couple dozen of these patients’ letters, mailing a couple every day.

The commissioner then wrote back to GH and told them that now they had a pile of complaints against them by their own subscribers and now it was an issue for the commissioner because it involved the public.

GH PR wrote back to the commissioner (CC to us) a letter saying that we were putting up patients to complain and we were acting as instigators.

I wrote another letter to the commissioner and CC to the GH executive explaining once again that these subscribers had been writing and calling us, and since we had no power to change the circumstances, and the fact that the commissioner had said that he had not heard from a single subscriber, that we simply told these GH subscribers that it made more sense if they sent their complaint to the commissioner’s office (they had already been sending them to GH for the past two years). It didn’t make sense that we were getting all the complaints and there was nothing we could do about it.

The commissioner agreed with me then sent a letter to GH (CC to us) asking the executive to address the point that I had made.

The GH executive wrote back to the commissioner (CC to us) that he was turning the whole matter over to an internal (GH) ethics and policy panel.

We had two weeks of silence.

Today I got a letter addressed to me that GH was inviting our practice to join their network and welcoming us. Within the packet was a credentialing application for myself, my SP and the practice.

I guess the lesson here is persistence.

Group health is a nasty group... Tread carefully.. And NEVER Let your practice become so dependent upon them that you cannot live without them.

They are not happy with this turn of events, and are only trying to circumvent a directed action and potential lawsuit by the commissioner.

Keep them very close, and cut them no deals.

Again, congratulations.

Group health is a nasty group... Tread carefully.. And NEVER Let your practice become so dependent upon them that you cannot live without them.

They are not happy with this turn of events, and are only trying to circumvent a directed action and potential lawsuit by the commissioner.

Keep them very close, and cut them no deals.

Again, congratulations.

Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer...............is the saying

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Complaints to an insurance is commissioner are nothing to sneeze at, and the can't afford a regulatory / disciplinary fight. Strong work jmj, and you have blazed a trail for your colleagues. Little victories pile up into winning the war.

• 7 months later...

Archived