Where are we going with the PA profession!!! seriously!!!

I have been working with this doctor for the last year or so, i had privileges in 7 hospitals where i see all the patients in the morning and he rounds at night and sign all my orders , recently the administration of one of the hospitals called me for an urgent meeting-- i went and here what happened..

1- A PA cant discharge patients

2- PAs cant give telephone order

3- PAs cant be in the hospital if the supervising physician is not on site

4- The supervising physician has to sign orders within 24 hours the PA writes

5- Nurses has to call the doctor to verify every order i write

and they put me on suspension because i did the opposite of all of the above

I was so shocked - i talked to the physician and we called all other hospitals to see if they have the same ****ty policies and it appeared that they do.

Today the office manager calls me and tell me this" doctor X would like to let you know that he cant use you anymore for your USELESS PROFESSION and he is hiring an NP that has more scope of practice and would best fit him, it seems your profession needs a physician to baby sit the PAs" THAT WAS SO HARSH...

Really.... Realy... we are concerned about changing the name and yet we have broken system and undefined scope of practice...

You gona tell me ER pas have autonomy-- oh well there is always a supervising physician on site

Surgery PAs -- there is always a surgeon on site

Hospitalists PAs -- there is always intensivist on site

where is the supervision we learned in school " THE DOCTOR DOESNT HAVE TO BE ON SITE" what a joke!!!

Im talking about inpatient, i didnt have problems with outpatient -- i had my own panel of patients and never had problems

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been working with this doctor for the last year or so, i had privileges in 7 hospitals where i see all the patients in the morning and he rounds at night and sign all my orders , recently the administration of one of the hospitals called me for an urgent meeting-- i went and here what happened..

1- A PA cant discharge patients

2- PAs cant give telephone order

3- PAs cant be in the hospital if the supervising physician is not on site

4- The supervising physician has to sign orders within 24 hours the PA writes

5- Nurses has to call the doctor to verify every order i write

and they put me on suspension because i did the opposite of all of the above

I was so shocked - i talked to the physician and we called all other hospitals to see if they have the same ****ty policies and it appeared that they do.

Today the office manager calls me and tell me this" doctor X would like to let you know that he cant use you anymore for your USELESS PROFESSION and he is hiring an NP that has more scope of practice and would best fit him, it seems your profession needs a physician to baby sit the PAs" THAT WAS SO HARSH...

Really.... Realy... we are concerned about changing the name and yet we have broken system and undefined scope of practice...

You gona tell me ER pas have autonomy-- oh well there is always a supervising physician on site

Surgery PAs -- there is always a surgeon on site

Hospitalists PAs -- there is always intensivist on site

where is the supervision we learned in school " THE DOCTOR DOESNT HAVE TO BE ON SITE" what a joke!!!

Im talking about inpatient, i didnt have problems with outpatient -- i had my own panel of patients and never had problems

Sorry to hear your situation. I can only speak as a Pre-PA so please don't judge what I'm going to say. I know that you're not the only one has to deal with this problem. This was what I tried to tell me friends before that "there are two programs one is Physician Associate and another is Physician Assistant, and which one they think is best". They both said that "why do I want to become an assistant". Of course they did not research that both programs are the same. My point here is that many of PA want to have more autonomy and more privilege but the reality is how people are not from medical field recognize the PA profession. I truly believe that name change is the first step the PA profession needs to do before anything else. Now, I truly believe that the PAFT is heading to the right direction and the only thing they need up to this time is more supporters from the PA profession. Once again, I can only speak from a Pre-PA.

I hope you will find the way to move on and successful in the PA profession.

Sorry to hear your situation. I can only speak as a Pre-PA so please don't judge what I'm going to say. I know that you're not the only one has to deal with this problem. This was what I tried to tell me friends before that "there are two programs one is Physician Associate and another is Physician Assistant, and which one they think is best". They both said that "why do I want to become an assistant". Of course they did not research that both programs are the same. My point here is that many of PA want to have more autonomy and more privilege but the reality is how people are not from medical field recognize the PA profession. I truly believe that name change is the first step the PA profession needs to do before anything else. Now, I truly believe that the PAFT is heading to the right direction and the only thing they need up to this time is more supporters from the PA profession. Once again, I can only speak from a Pre-PA.

I hope you will find the way to move on and successful in the PA profession.

To be honest, this seems a bit far fetched. To the point that you sound like you are trolling. Forgive me if I am wrong.

What State?

I live in northern california ,

If you dont know , i researched it heavily , a hospitals policy overrides AAPA and CAPA , basically the hospital have the right to set up your scope of practice regardless what the law says.... but what pisses me off is that these hospitals put cuffs on PAs but never mess up with NPs.

To be honest, this seems a bit far fetched. To the point that you sound like you are trolling. Forgive me if I am wrong.

What State?

If you dont know , i researched it heavily , a hospitals policy overrides AAPA and CAPA , basically the hospital have the right to set up your scope of practice regardless what the law says.... but what pisses me off is that these hospitals put cuffs on PAs but never mess up with NPs.

Yeah, this is not unheard of. I've actually seen it more times than I care to think about. I'm sorry for your difficulties. My guess is that the nursing administration (which has more power than anyone else in almost every hospital I've been in) has had a large say in these policies. Have you reached out to CAPA?

Yeah, this is not unheard of. I've actually seen it more times than I care to think about. I'm sorry for your difficulties. My guess is that the nursing administration (which has more power than anyone else in almost every hospital I've been in) has had a large say in these policies. Have you reached out to CAPA?

"Today the office manager calls me and tell me this" doctor X would like to let you know that he cant use you anymore for your USELESS PROFESSION and he is hiring an NP that has more scope of practice and would best fit him, it seems your profession needs a physician to baby sit the PAs" THAT WAS SO HARSH..."

Did you do something to upset the office manager? That is an extremely unprofessional way to let someone go, even if it's the viewpoint of the physician for some reason.

"Today the office manager calls me and tell me this" doctor X would like to let you know that he cant use you anymore for your USELESS PROFESSION and he is hiring an NP that has more scope of practice and would best fit him, it seems your profession needs a physician to baby sit the PAs" THAT WAS SO HARSH..."

Did you do something to upset the office manager? That is an extremely unprofessional way to let someone go, even if it's the viewpoint of the physician for some reason.

Archived