RHODE ISLAND: Johnson & Wales University

Hi mnm823, my stats are...

Undergrad Ed School: Colby College (2007)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.16
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.04
Graduate Ed School: Tufts Medical School, Masters of Biomedical Science (2013)
Cumulative Graduate GPA: 3.73
Science Graduate GPA: 3.72

Age at application time: 28

1st GRE: 167 verbal, 158 quantitative, 4 writing

Direct Patient Care: 1,600+ hours clinical research assistant, 20+ hours volunteering at a medical clinic

Research: 4 full years in neuroimaging research but only counted ~1,600 of those hours towards HCE, counted the rest as straight research

Application Submitted Date: 6/4

Schools Received Application Date: 6/8 for some schools and others submitted later, JWU received my application on 9/9

I didn't have the best undergraduate career (obviously) and JWU really seemed to focus more on my grad school performance which I really appreciated since I think that's a much better reflection of what I can do academically. 

Good luck with your applications!!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Undergrad Ed School: Fordham University
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.80
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.73
Non-Science Undergrad GPA: 3.87

Post Bacc GPA: 4.00

Age at application time: 25
1st GRE: 520 V (154), 760 Q (160), 4.5 W

Direct Patient Care : (type & hours) 

Clinical Assistant (900)

EEG Technician (4000)

Health and Wellness Coach (500)

Shadowing: 

Orthopedic PA (30 hours)

Neurosurgery PA (12 hours)

Pain Management PA (2 hours)

Emergency Med PA (6 hours)

Some MD and ND shadowing as well

Extracurricular/Research Activities:
D1 Athlete

St. Jude's

Tutor/Mentor

Research Assistant (Psychology)

Schools Applied: Northeastern, Johnson and Wales, UNE, Bay Path, NYIT, Cornell, Hofstra, Stony Brook, Pace, Yale, Bridgeport, Franklin Pierce, LIU

Application Submitted Date: CASPA submitted July 23rd; verified Aug 1st

Interview Invites: Johnson and Wales, UNE, Pace, Yale, Bay Path (did not attend), NYIT (did not attend), Northeastern

Denied: None

Waitlisted: None

Accepted: Johnson and Wales, UNE, Yale, Pace

Attempts: Second (only applied to two schools last cycle - interviewed at both, denied to one and waitlisted at the other)

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard back with an acceptance after my interview on Nov. 1st and I'm so, so excited!! I was so impressed with everything that I heard and saw at the interview and am fairly certain I'll be attending JWU in June.

Stolt180 - did you start a forum or group of any sort?

Congratulations everyone!

I have not started a forum or group yet. Is this something you're interested in starting soon, @ppelavin?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interviewed on May 8th all alone! It was pretty intimidating but I got to know the faculty really well. I applied late so thats the really for the late interview. I got a call recently that I was moved to the top of the waitlist! I wonder if a spot will open up before june! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I applied in July but I didn't hear anything so I emailed someone to ask. I got a response in mid-august stating this,

JWU operates on rolling admissions meaning we review all the time.  We don’t always make an immediate decision on an applicant.  Sometimes there is a wait period as we bring in some applicants for interviews and place others on hold. We will mail you a letter if your application is rejected and if not than your application is still considered to be under review.

Keep the faith alive guys!! :) I haven't heard anything since that email in August but it's not over until you get a letter!

I interviewed at Pacific U in OR and was denied - waiting to hear something from Samuel Merritt in Oakland but they only have 40 spots for 2000+ applicants so not holding my breath - it seems the East coast programs have much lower applicant #'s from my research, just more programs out there....we own a house in CA so not sure I would even want to be away from my husband for 2+ years to do an east coast program.....competition is so tough - I  knew it would be tough and looking back I should have applied to WAY more than 4 programs......I still have anatomy in progress (re-take due to being 9 years ago) so some programs would not consider you if classes in progress. Anyway good luck to all, and hopefully we'll all end up as PAs some day ;)

Hi there,

I have decided to attend the JWU PA program class of 2017, so I thought I would post here and offer the information I have, and maybe it will help some people out. I submitted everything in late June/early July, got a phone call and an email in mid September (I think) inviting me to interview on October 10. There was only about 11 of us at the interview, and I believe it was either their first or second interview date. It was my first PA interview so I wasn't sure what to expect, but the program president and all of the faculty were so friendly and helpful and I got such a great vibe from the atmosphere. There was a powerpoint presentation about the program, a small group activity/discussion, a 15 minute writing sample, and two interviews that were 15-20 minutes. Then there were 3 current students that came in to give us a tour of the facility (it is BRAND NEW and so gorgeous) and took us to one of the campus restaurants for lunch. They were so helpful in answering all kinds of questions about studying and living in Providence and their daily routine, and seemed to love their experience there thus far.

I ended up getting an email and a phone call that same evening to say that I was accepted and that I had 4 weeks to put a deposit down. Out of all of my interviews, I enjoyed this one the most and ultimately ended up choosing a spot here. I believe there are 24 spots, so I am very excited to meet the rest of the class! I don't think there is a facebook group or anything made yet but I will keep an eye out...hopefully this is somewhat helpful and if anyone has more specific questions I can try to answer them.

-Jessica

Archived