Sign in to follow this  
jrgilpatrick

Looking to shadow in Orange County/LA county California???

Hello,

I am looking to shadow a PA in Orange County area/ LA county area. Preferably Orange County, anyone have any advise on how to find someone to shadow. All of the PAs that i have asked aren't allowed to let me shadow them. I have already applied for PA school however, have yet to be accepted, I am going to reapply and looking to get some more experience.

Also, unrelated but does anyone know if being a SCRIBE would count as direct patient care?? I recently was offered a position however, I currently work in the pharmaceutical industry and it would be A LOT less pay, with no opportunity to get insurance, Im unsure whether i should accept it or not???

THANKS!!!

Hello,

I am looking to shadow a PA in Orange County area/ LA county area. Preferably Orange County, anyone have any advise on how to find someone to shadow. All of the PAs that i have asked aren't allowed to let me shadow them. I have already applied for PA school however, have yet to be accepted, I am going to reapply and looking to get some more experience.

Also, unrelated but does anyone know if being a SCRIBE would count as direct patient care?? I recently was offered a position however, I currently work in the pharmaceutical industry and it would be A LOT less pay, with no opportunity to get insurance, Im unsure whether i should accept it or not???

THANKS!!!

Do you know of any other physicians, PAs, NPs, or RNs that you can network through? I got my shadowing completed through networking via family. You can also become a member of CAPA and the AAPA and find a list of PAs and then email and mass email or cold call them. If you were two years before applying I'd just have you shadow me when I finish my PA program =oX.

If you're applying to schools in the area most do not consider it as direct patient contact HCE which is what they want (you actually interacting like taking vitals, assisting or administering meds, patient assessments, treatments and etc. It's still HCE either way but the ones here in California don't accept it for the most part.

Have you considered going to CIEMT in Signal Hill or Regan Career Institute in Monterey Park and get some of their certs and get a hospital gig. Easiest way into a hospital IMO is as a 12 lead EKG tech.

Eithrr way the scribe opportunity would still be a great experience IMO and you could easily setup a shadowing opportunity through that.

Which programs are you applying to?

Do you know of any other physicians, PAs, NPs, or RNs that you can network through? I got my shadowing completed through networking via family. You can also become a member of CAPA and the AAPA and find a list of PAs and then email and mass email or cold call them. If you were two years before applying I'd just have you shadow me when I finish my PA program =oX.

If you're applying to schools in the area most do not consider it as direct patient contact HCE which is what they want (you actually interacting like taking vitals, assisting or administering meds, patient assessments, treatments and etc. It's still HCE either way but the ones here in California don't accept it for the most part.

Have you considered going to CIEMT in Signal Hill or Regan Career Institute in Monterey Park and get some of their certs and get a hospital gig. Easiest way into a hospital IMO is as a 12 lead EKG tech.

Eithrr way the scribe opportunity would still be a great experience IMO and you could easily setup a shadowing opportunity through that.

Hi Timon,

I know some MDs that i have tried to network through, but it doesnt seem like they know anyone that is willing to let me shadow a PA, I have already shadowed a MD. I think that I am going to start calling every medical office in the area that has a PA. Too bad I dont have another two years so then I could shadow you.

I didnt think they considered it direct patient care experience... I am applying to the schools in the area, USC, Western, Touro- CA, NV, and also Midwestern in AZ.

I actually have my phlebotomy license, but havent been able to get a job... :( and i am taking a ECG class right now. Maybe that will strengthen my applications.

Hi Timon,

I know some MDs that i have tried to network through, but it doesnt seem like they know anyone that is willing to let me shadow a PA, I have already shadowed a MD. I think that I am going to start calling every medical office in the area that has a PA. Too bad I dont have another two years so then I could shadow you.

I didnt think they considered it direct patient care experience... I am applying to the schools in the area, USC, Western, Touro- CA, NV, and also Midwestern in AZ.

I actually have my phlebotomy license, but havent been able to get a job... :( and i am taking a ECG class right now. Maybe that will strengthen my applications.

Something you can do with ECG and your CPT1 is mobile healthcare screening through insurance companies. Pays well from what I heard (like $30 a patient as a 1099) and you can take as many or as little as you want. Can probably squeeze out between 3-5 patients an hour depending on logistics.

As for the Touro programs, I think they're ok with scribes but I'd double check. Western doesn't require HCE.. You're almost guaranteed an interview with a 3.4 cGPA at Western U. Not too sure about the other two programs you listed.

Something you can do with ECG and your CPT1 is mobile healthcare screening through insurance companies. Pays well from what I heard (like $30 a patient as a 1099) and you can take as many or as little as you want. Can probably squeeze out between 3-5 patients an hour depending on logistics.

As for the Touro programs, I think they're ok with scribes but I'd double check. Western doesn't require HCE.. You're almost guaranteed an interview with a 3.4 cGPA at Western U. Not too sure about the other two programs you listed.

Hi! I read that you were willing to be shadowed by the op. I'll be moving to California in August. I know it's been a few years have but I would regret not asking--would you still be willing to be shadowed by another PA hopeful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi! Not sure if yous are still on here. I was wondering if you guys have become PAs and willing to let me shadow???? I am in the Inland Empire willing to commute!!!