How many schools did you apply to and how many did you get accepted/rejected to?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Applied at the very end of the cycle to 8 schools (SIDE NOTE - APPLYING LATE is the best way to screw yourself! LOL), while I was still taking 3 of my pre-reqs, and got into 4. I'm very happy with where I will be attending, and believe to an extent that everything works out in the end how it is supposed to, but I sure as hell caused myself a lot of unnecessary stress by applying so late with an incomplete application. So, word from the un-wise, finish your pre-reqs, and apply early!

Applied at the very end of the cycle to 8 schools (SIDE NOTE - APPLYING LATE is the best way to screw yourself! LOL), while I was still taking 3 of my pre-reqs, and got into 4. I'm very happy with where I will be attending, and believe to an extent that everything works out in the end how it is supposed to, but I sure as hell caused myself a lot of unnecessary stress by applying so late with an incomplete application. So, word from the un-wise, finish your pre-reqs, and apply early!

• 1 month later...

I did the same as winterallsummer - I applied to 12 schools. I had a GPA of 3.61, 297 on the GRE, with over 2000 hours of health experience, as well as numerous volunteer experience. I got interviews from all but 2 school ( who rejected me flat out). Of those others that offered me an interview, I only went to 5 of them and respectfully declined the others. There was a lot of costs involved; but I do not personally see it as a waste of money and more as an investment into my future. So try to think about the big picture when selecting schools and the costs that are involved.

• 3 weeks later...

@PYRITE What were your stats when you applied? I have my heart set on a specific school, but the thought of only applying to one seems reckless. Had you had previous contact with the school that made you more confident that you would be accepted? That's pretty awesome the way you worked it out, any tips for a pre-PA student hoping to swing the same thing? And, which school are you attending if you don't mind me asking?

Stats:

Overall GPA - 3.02

Science GPA - 3.41

Post Bacc GPA (63 credit hours) - 3.6

GRE - 1080

Payed HCE - ~4,500 hours

Volunteer (In PT/OT) - 200 hours

Shadowing - 75 hours (25 shadowing a PA, 50 shadowing a MD in the OR)

1st year applying

Applied - 1

Interviewed - 1

Accepted - 0

2nd year applying

Applied - 15

Interviewed - 1

Accepted - 1

(Did not fill out supplemental app for the other 14 schools, i was interviewed/accepted before my CASPA even verified)

• 2 years later...

OLW, its not as much about a specific date, its about how many spots that school of interest has left. I applied "late" in the application process for two schools. Both times I emailed admissions and asked if they were still considering applicants. Both times they were very open to my question. They are not going to give you a specific numer of seats left (most likely), but they will likely tell you if they are still interviewing for open seats or if all seats have been filled. And to give this story a happy ending,the second school (early December) was the only one out of 12 programs (11 of which I applied to in June/July)  that even offered me an interview. But like they say it only takes one, so hear I am in month number two of PA school.

What does everyone consider late in the cycle?

I was considering applying to one last program, but its 9/26. Is that considered late?

It depends on the school.  If they don't do rolling admissions and wait until their deadline to review apps, then as long as you are in on time you should be fine.  The ones that do rolling admissions - it depends on how many interview sessions they have had at this point.  I'd say as of today, you would still be okay but a month from now?  Not likely.

But yes, if you are just now getting your CASPA verified, you're a little late in the cycle.  I had everything completed in June the year that I applied and supplementals done as they arrived (some right away, some weren't sent until August) and I think that's pretty common for a lot of applicants.

I originally applied to 9 programs -- CASPA was verified in June, supplementals were submitted by July, and GRE scores were reported mid-August (I had to take it twice). I have only heard from one of those 9 programs, so I started applying more broadly to programs that were geared towards my stats. I applied to 4 new programs that had deadlines in October/November (not rolling admissions). 

However, this program is newer and still has spots left, but it is rolling so people have already been accepted ~15. I think I'm just going to go for it! I'm personally a little frustrated that my original programs haven't really gotten back to me yet... 

I originally applied to 9 programs -- CASPA was verified in June, supplementals were submitted by July, and GRE scores were reported mid-August (I had to take it twice). I have only heard from one of those 9 programs, so I started applying more broadly to programs that were geared towards my stats. I applied to 4 new programs that had deadlines in October/November (not rolling admissions). 

However, this program is newer and still has spots left, but it is rolling so people have already been accepted ~15. I think I'm just going to go for it! I'm personally a little frustrated that my original programs haven't really gotten back to me yet... 

Don't stress.  Of your original 9, if any had Oct 1 or Nov 1 deadlines it's possible that's why you haven't heard.  I heard from several (with interview invites) as late as November so don't count them out.  Every school does their own thing and has their own process so you can't really compare response times among them.

Archived