Would like to know how outpatient clinic PAs are being compensated. Salaried, hourly or paid small fee per patient plus low hourly rate? The last form of payment appears to be popular with employers, would like to know if anyone is doing this and what is the consensus on this practice. Forgot to mention that with the pay per patient, all PA's are paid the same regardless of experience. Compensation is dependent of clinic visits, so your income will vary from day to day. Any thoughts on this?

Edited by socrates

typically wht ever way makes the most money for the employer......

hate to say it, but we are typcially cash cows and commonly only take home <45% of the revenue as compared to Docs that take home > 55% (this was an actual study by one of the consulting firms I read last year)

short of a straight salary - where you then can control your schedule (which is a huge deal, don't let anyone else control your schedule.....) that is around 50% of your revenue would be great

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ChristineB
      Hi everyone!
      I am a graduating PA and am currently looking for outpatient jobs, particularly in primary care. From what I have heard and seen, many primary care clinics are going through hiring freezes, and the few positions I have seen have required 2-5 years of experience. I have applied to them anyway in case they take a look at my CV and consider me, but they have either not contacted me or told me that I do not have enough experience.
      I had a good first and second interview for an endocrine PA position. I do like endocrine, however I believe at least 90% of my time will involve working only on diabetes management. If I am offered this position--or if I am offered a position in another specialty that I do not see myself in long-term--should I take it to get experience (and a paycheck)? Should I wait it out hoping for a primary care position? If I take a specialty position will I be less desirable as a future applicant for primary care positions? The job market is difficult, generally, for any new grads, but the pandemic seems to have made things a bit harder as well. 
    • By Bears24
      EM PA here, our group is looking to moving towards single doc/PA coverage overnight, whereas we previously ended shifts around 1am. For all those who work shift work/overnights, wondering if you receive an overnight differential pay bump. If so, what is it? If you're more comfortable contacting me directly would be GREAT help or answer the attached poll. Attempting to get some data together to show higher ups its common for overnight diff in EM world. Also please include what state you work in and what specialty.

Thank you in advance!!!!
    • By cgunn1800
      Just wondering if anyone has connections to PA, MD, or DO's in the state of Hawaii that might be interested/willing to take on PA students for clinicals, especially in primary care. My wife and I are both in PA school and applied and interviewed with the MEDEX program set to start in Kona. We didn't get into that program, but did get into another and we would still love the opportunity to help with the healthcare shortage in the state. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    • By Echo29
      Hi All!
      Looking for some thoughts on an urgent care offer in northern NJ.
      Multi specialty practice based urgent care. Mix of acuity. We can get stat CTs.
      $64/hr = 133120 per year
      Hourly not salary
      160 hours PTO
      0 hours CME days
      $1500 CME
      Mix between 12hr (week day 8A-8P) and 9hr (8A-5P) shifts
      4% match 401k
      5% annual bonus
      Approx 20-30 patient's per day
      I have  5 years experience as a PA
      Thanks in advance!

~E
    • By areys
      Anyone that can help with compensation recommendations or salary range for Urgent Care Position. Looking in southern Maine. Expecting 1 or 2 offers from two different companies. I have 3 years of experience at a high volume/high acuity urgent care. Currently making 60$ an hour at a UC that keeps multiple providers on. In this new position I would be solo provider with MD or other PA available by phone for consultation when needed. AAPA salary report didn't have any data for UCs in Maine. I would like to make as much as a lateral move as possible as this would be a move to a higher cost of living area. I would appreciate any suggestions about negotiating salary or ranges especially from anyone in the Southern Maine area. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More