What Is Your White Coat?

• Administrator
WOW! I thought some of you would have already mentioned tuning forks, cell phone (pager), highlighters, or pens

The reason I go so light on materials in my white coat is that I have much of what everyone else has mentioned (tuning forks, tongue blades, gloves, etc.) is always available to me in my exam rooms, and most of the rest--iPod, phone, pens--fit in my shirt pocket, so I have them with when I'm seeing pediatric patients, when I leave my coat in my office.

What antibiotic app do you use?

EMRA antibiotic guide (emergency medicine residents association). i would recommend it for any specialty tho. its quick and to the point.

i hate sanfords.....in the ED i dont have time to shift thru all that info and try to read that tiny print

• 3 months later...

I only wear mine in the ER as extra body armour and only in the office if I'm cold, but when I do: stethoscope, several pens, stamper for Rx so the phamacist can read my signature, a collection of quick ref books, a small eye chart (I only just got an app for my iPhone for that), a tube of EMLA or Maxilene cream to stick on kiddies arms if I think they're going to need an IV or venicpuncture and my calling card wallet in case someone I see wants to follow up with me at the clinic. If I remember it from the office, I bring my headlamp as well.

Usually don't wear lab coat (emergency). At least three pens, stethoscope, trauma shears, smart phone (with epocrates).

If I think of it before the shift it is nice to have: pocket eye chart, bandages, tongue depressors, EMRA antibiotic guide, PALS insert.

Got rid of these: reflex hammer (you can use your hand or steth), pen light (use otoscope wall mounts, hopefully they are working...), all pocket books (except EMRA)

Archived