What Is Your White Coat?

***What I Meant To Say ... What Is In Your White Coat?

A former prof mentioned in class it is always important to have things in your white coat for the you never knows. One of the suggestions he made was always have a stuffed animal or a lollipop as you never know that your patient (of course a child or an adult :wink:) might need some kind of distraction. Are there suggestions anyone of you can make?

i dont wear a white coat but in my scrub pockets i keep my ipod touch (with epocrates and my antibiotic guide app which i are really the only apps i use)..other than that i keep a penlight, extra tongue blades, extra pens, and post-its (which i take notes on) if i dont have a post-it for a patient i go crazy (OCD) :)

Don't wear a white coat. It's shall we say......frowned upon. We wear business attire, suits or sport coats with slacks and tie.

http://bit.ly/YsPQFR

something to consider when thinking about white coats and what it can mean subconsciously for our patients.

for me personally I wear a white coat most of the time. My patients have told me I look young and the white coat seems to help a bit. I throw the coat off during a long shift in the ED or when doing procedures :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Paula

Palm pilot (yes I still have one of those, my new galaxy tablet is too big, and was a gift, so I sometimes carry it, need a bigger pocket), tongue blades, monofiliment pen, pregnancy wheel, pocket eye chart, pens, lint, kleenex, tape measure, acls cards which i rarely use, and don't really need now that i'm out of emergency medicine, scalpel, sterile cotton swabs and my reading glasses.

Defibrillator, amp of D50, amp of Narcan, one 81 mg. ASA, 1 mg. 1:10,000 epinephrine, and body bag. Guess that just about covers it. Oh, and the EKG machine. When I was still in public health I'd also carry Cipro, atropine, and 2-PAM, just in case.... So it's a big white coat....

i dont wear a white coat but in my scrub pockets i keep my ipod touch (with epocrates and my antibiotic guide app which i are really the only apps i use)..other than that i keep a penlight, extra tongue blades, extra pens, and post-its (which i take notes on) if i dont have a post-it for a patient i go crazy (OCD) :)

What antibiotic app do you use?

Defibrillator, amp of D50, amp of Narcan, one 81 mg. ASA, 1 mg. 1:10,000 epinephrine, and body bag. Guess that just about covers it. Oh, and the EKG machine. When I was still in public health I'd also carry Cipro, atropine, and 2-PAM, just in case.... So it's a big white coat....

:smile: that is a BIG coat!

http://bit.ly/YsPQFR

something to consider when thinking about white coats and what it can mean subconsciously for our patients.

for me personally I wear a white coat most of the time. My patients have told me I look young and the white coat seems to help a bit. I throw the coat off during a long shift in the ED or when doing procedures :)

At Mayo, they have shunned white coats for decades. It's considered a "Gentlemen's Clinic". Most patients seem to like it for the most part. I wore scrubs in the ED, but in the clinic, it's suits/business attire.

Guest Paula
At Mayo, they have shunned white coats for decades. It's considered a "Gentlemen's Clinic". Most patients seem to like it for the most part. I wore scrubs in the ED, but in the clinic, it's suits/business attire.

Mayo has that good reputation but have they considered changing the culture of "Gentlemen's Clinic" to "Gentleperson's Clinic"? What do the female providers wear? Same suits and business attire? I would have to get a whole new wardrobe if I worked for Mayo!!!

Mayo has that good reputation but have they considered changing the culture of "Gentlemen's Clinic" to "Gentleperson's Clinic"? What do the female providers wear? Same suits and business attire? I would have to get a whole new wardrobe if I worked for Mayo!!!

"Gentleperson's" would work just as well, it isn't intended to be sexist. Female providers also are required to wear business attire. LOL.....

***What I Meant To Say ... What Is In Your White Coat?

A former prof mentioned in class it is always important to have things in your white coat for the you never knows. One of the suggestions he made was always have a stuffed animal or a lollipop as you never know that your patient (of course a child or an adult :wink:) might need some kind of distraction. Are there suggestions anyone of you can make?

I don't know where my white coat is. I last wore it in 2009. I do have a jump bag with Narcan, Epi,Dextrose paste,Flumaseril,benadryl,NTG, ASA, IVF, SAM splints and Israeli battle dsg , airways,14ga needles, Heimlich valve out here in the wilds of the Aleutians. I concentrate on keeping pt alive as my form of distracting them! :-).

physasst: what is a gentleman's clinic?... :)

(when doing rotations as a student I wore business casual; hooray to scrubs as daily work attire!)

(sorry ugolong-- we're getting off topic!)

Archived