Can't get a job in Oregon from CA?

I really want to work in Oregon(I spent my childhood there and love it) but The PA im shadowing told me that its pretty impossible to get hired in oregon if you are from CA/ went to school in CA because Oregonians discriminate against Californians. Has anyone heard anything about this?

I'm really hoping I can go to school in Oregon so that employers won't be tempted to discriminate haha

I certainly hope its not true. I did talk to a friend living in Portland who was saying something about because the economy is so bad there lots of Oregonian's are getting their homes foreclosed and "obnoxious californians" are paying cash for these homes..(I'll stop there because obviously this doesn't have much to do with being a PA)

I certainly hope its not true. I did talk to a friend living in Portland who was saying something about because the economy is so bad there lots of Oregonian's are getting their homes foreclosed and "obnoxious californians" are paying cash for these homes..(I'll stop there because obviously this doesn't have much to do with being a PA)

This has been going on since I was a kid growing up in Salem in the 80s. There are a million reasons Californians flock to Oregon...I miss it terribly myself!

I really want to work in Oregon(I spent my childhood there and love it) but The PA im shadowing told me that its pretty impossible to get hired in oregon if you are from CA/ went to school in CA because Oregonians discriminate against Californians.

He's right. It's actually illegal to hire Californians and will get the employers a fine and jail time. As a Californian, you're not even supposed to drive through Oregon when going to Washington, you're supposed to go through Nevada and Idaho.

He's right. It's actually illegal to hire Californians and will get the employers a fine and jail time. As a Californian, you're not even supposed to drive through Oregon when going to Washington, you're supposed to go through Nevada and Idaho.

Oh can come through our fine state..spend your money...then keep moving. We won't turn away tourist dollars. As long as you're not a tourist in my backyard, clogging up my little slice of heaven. NIMBY is my middle name :-)

Seriously..? I KNOW the feeling of having tourists take over. I'm in Orange County ATM home of "surf city, USA/ paradise" blah blah blah. Theres really no reason to to get your panties in a bunch, no one in California wants to invade Oregon(except a few rich people who are into crappy weather)..whenever I mention my love of OR to anyone in Cali (including friends in norcal) all I get is "WHAT..why would you want to leave?"

We're just messing with ya, having a little fun. Not fighting. The history of Oregon is steeped in the tradition of being anti social cliquish people perpetuated by our very Governor Tom McCall back in the day. Is there a true "californian" clause in hiring practice? I seriously doubt it. Do locals from OHSU, Pacific, and some extent UW get hired first due to their local knowledge of people? Sure...just like every other location in the country. Most PAs I know got their jobs by word of mouth and networking. I am banking on it as I am graduating soon and networking as much as I know how to.

Good luck in your endeavors. If you do come north, we wouldn't mind if you brought a bit more sunshine in May and June..those months can be rather dreary.

Archived