Nursing Student--PA school or DNP program? HELPP

I am currently an undergraduate in a 5 year nursing program.

I was wondering what the actual difference was between a PA and DNP.

I know that PA's have received more clinical training, but it seems that DNP's are in school longer and of course get to have the doctor in front of their name.

I chose to be a nursing major so that I would be able to have a job right out of school and so i would be able to work (save money and pay for my own grad school) while getting the experience i need to either be a PA or DNP.

I keep hearing different things about both professions, but it seems to me that both function at the basic same level of competency, so what is one doing having a doctrate while the other is only at the masters level and why is the master's level being paid more?

I have also heard that hospitals prefer to hire DNP's because htey have more experience in actual patient care...

I am just extremely conflicted in between the two professions. I did not want to be a doctor because I don't want to be the one that everybody looks at waiting for instructions on how to proceed to save a person's life. I want to aide the doctor, but mainly i want to be a support for the patient through their illness.

Especially because of the new healthcare plan that has recently come into effect, i know that the PA and DNP professions are on the rise since they offer cheaper services.

What should I do?!?!?

BEEN AROUND FOR A LONG TIME.STANFORD USED TO HAVE THE SAME OPTION:

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/fnppa/

True. Stanford dropped it in 2007 because the nursing board mandated EVERY NP program be attached to a Nursing school which Stanford does not have and grant a MS in nursing which they couldn't do since they did not have a Nursing school so they decided to be strictly PA.

BUT......

According to this paper:

PCAP.Stanford.edu/program/FNP%20Option%20Change.pdf

If the BSN Pcap student gets the MMS from SFU, they can get CA FNP licensure but not nationally due to the nursing school masters requirement.

BUT AGAIN....

According to the paper, that was too limiting for PCAP graduates that they decided to drop the NP program....ok done..I should really not post in between.charting and patients...LOL. carry on smartly.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Nursing is a great way to get HCE... and lots of it. I am in the same boat as you... deciding between NP and PA (Ive been a nurse for almost 6 yrs) . It boils down to what you want to do when you are done. If you want to work with a group of intensivests/surgeons and or first assist in the OR-- go PA. If you arent sure what you want to do- go PA bc you can switch specialties after you are certified whereas NPs cannot. The education is way different too- do you want a doctorate in nursing research and theory? Or a masters (I think all programs are masters- correct me if I am mistaken) in medicine. I chose PA- based on the specialty I want to do and the medical model education I will recieve. I am just pre PA now so I cant offer much more than that at the moment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By Parashooter79
      Just curious if anyone has kept their certification after becoming a PA or current students still on the fence about doing the same. For those that are currently PA's,  how's keeping your certification helped or hurt you? Are you planning to add the DCLS or other doctoral training in the future? This topic is very interesting to me, just entering PA school after being a MLS and I'm interested how those skills translate to direct patient care. Cheers! 

• By milery
      Hello, I graduated last year with a 2.6 GPA and my science GPA is 2.4. I have two D's, I am retaking one of those two D at a community college ( organic chemistry) the other D is in ecology in which I may not retake tbh because I didn't enjoyed the class. I registered for organic chemistry 2 to help my Sgpa but my dilemma is this.... my financial situation is starting to stress me out. I cant afford to take hard core science classes ( like I originally planned) in a degree that doesn't lead to a guaranteed career (biotechnology). so I thought of either medical laboratory technician or lpn.  I thought of these because #1 cheaper and faster option, #2 mlt has always sparked my interest and #3 I'm a cna ( almost 4 years) and I work closely with a lpn.  the lpn option I'm looking at is a certificate option because is only one year. my whole goal in this is to help my GPA and also have a career. I don't mind continuing to build my PA  application after this but I wanna make sure if doing any of these route will help me and not become a waste of time. 
      if you guys have any other suggestions please let me know. the biotechnology degree I can finish it in a year but what if after that I'm still not a strong applicant? then I'm stuck with another degree... no career 
      I don't care how long it takes to become a PA! I'm 24 years old and I already have a lot of financial baggage. I want to make a smart decision  
    • By tpinkz
      Hi everyone,
      I am having a bit of a dilemma! I am currently a student at a small community college in Maine. I started in 2015 and got my Associate in Applied Science in Medical Assisting a year ago this past May. I became certified through the AAMA and started working right away. I worked as a float in rheumatology, neurology, family practice, and OMT specialty. All very beneficial to gaining the knowledge I now have. I initially got my MA degree so I could start taking classes towards my bachelors degree and I would also have a job that would get my patient contact hours that I needed to apply to the PA program. I then realized that school was expensive and got the idea I should apply to nursing school since my school already offered the program and it is very affordable ($92 a credit hour- I am able to pay out of pocket!). I just completed my first year of the nursing program and have one year left before getting my RN degree. I like nursing and think that it takes a very special person to be a nurse- it is not easy! When I decided to go for nursing I let go of the PA dream and figured that I could take baby steps and get my NP degree. First my ADN, then BSN, and then NP. I was offered a paid summer nursing intern position at our local hospital. I have been working as a Tech in ER and floating around shadowing different nursing positions. They do this to help recruitment and allow students to see what they might like when they graduate. Often they offer students a per diem Tech position while they finish their last year of nursing school. I have gotten to work side by side with PAs, NPs, MDs, DOs, through this program and my MA work. I now still feel very passionately that I want to become a PA. I like the training that PA's get versus NP's, I do not like online course work that most NP programs offer. My learning style is more lecture, take notes, study those notes! After talking with a recent NP grad I was a little upset to learn they only practiced 2 hours of suturing in her program (her FNP program was live, not online). From what I have heard NP's don't cover a lot of technical training that a PA does. Ideally I would like to work in an acute care setting such as the ER as a midlevel. This leads me to another point, PAs have so much mobility they can go wherever whenever they wish. They don't have to specialize in certain age groups or settings. If I went to be an NP I definitely feel I would have to go to become an Acute Care NP. Down the road if I ever decided I wanted to go into a different specialty I would have to take a post masters certification. I also like that PA's get more experience in different areas during clinical. NP's do have a lot of experience as you must hold a valid RN license and have been an RN for a couple years, but they don't the same clinical experience that a PA does. The nursing model is good, but I don't love nursing everything is theory theory theory. I like the medical model- what it causing the problem and treat it! I feel as a PA you can still be holistic and treat the person as whole like NP schools emphasize. A conversation about diet and exercise with you patient is not going to hurt. Many people have told me that since I am going to be a nurse I should just go the NP route and as great as that could be it doesn't sound right. My opinion is that becoming a nurse will look good as patient experience coupled with my MA and Tech experience. I don't feel like I have wasted time and that I am learning A LOT! My next step is to figure out how to get a bachelors degree for PA school. Most pre-PA programs grant graduates with a biology degree. This is where I am torn- do I get my BSN online in a year or so or do I get a different degree. The online BSN program gives me a lot of versatility in work schedule as a nurse and then I will have to take my bio 1+2, chem 1+2, Organic chem, stats, and a few other pre-reqs for the PA program I am looking at. Or should I try and use both of my associate degrees towards a bachelors and see what degree I can get that would include the pre-reqs, basically skipping the BSN. I feel as though getting a BSN would be a waste of time, but I don't know if my previous classes will count towards any bachelors other than that. I guess then that there is always the question of not getting into PA school, at least I would still be an RN. I could then figure out where to go from there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all. ? 
      Best,
      Tyler P.
    • By DennisTankersley
      The EMPA Fellowship at ARMC is currently accepting applications for its next class, which is set to begin in Nov of 2018.  This Fellowship is housed at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center which is San Bernardino Counties Trauma and Burn Center located in the city of Colton, CA.
      The program includes clinical and didactic education that is designed to provide PAs who are new-grads or new to emergency medicine an efficient and supportive training experience that will enable top-of-scope practice in any emergency department.
      In addition to over 40 hours of online EM education, Fellows will attend 4-5 hours of weekly lecture that is specifically designed to build upon primary PA education.  Fellows are also strongly encouraged and paid to participate in weekly EM physician resident lecture.
      Rotations include:
      Ortho Surgery (Trauma, SICU, Burn) Pediatrics Ob/Gyn Ultrasound Anesthesia Diabetic Youth Camp EMS The program now offers two options:
          1. 14-month Traditional track ($55,000)
               Over 60 EMPAs have graduated from the Traditional track and report being very well prepared to practice in a wide variety of ED settings.
          2. 20-month Doctorate of Medical Science track ($75,000 w/tuition paid)
              This is a new offering that builds on the Traditional track through a partnership with Lynchburg College in Virginia.  The EMPA Fellowship is lengthened to enable time to complete the DMSc coursework, and the tuition is paid by the Fellowship.  There are a select number of positions available for this option, and they will be filled competitively.  There are currently 12 Fellows enrolled in the DMSc track.
      All Fellows are eligible for a full benefits package including Health, Vision, Dental, 401k.  All lectures are CME certified providing more than 200 hours of CME.
      SEMPA and CAPA memberships are provided.
      EMPAFellowship.com
      Deadline for application is June 15, 2018
      Please visit the website and select Apply Now to be contacted by our program recruiter and to learn more about the complete application process.

• By jmj11
      I don't know if anyone else saw the NP ad on TV. I saw it last night on CNN. I was going to link it here, but I cannot find it. It was very professional and gave the message that NPs are being limited their practice across the country. They can provider excellent care. If you want better access to excellent care, support the NPs.  My paraphrase. This is the kind of ad, that may have been helpful to the PAs a while ago. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More