pls help

I know. I was just messing with you. Just out of curiosity, what is your current science GPA, your current overall GPA, and your healthcare experience background?

I can't speak on behalf of any program, but if I had a GPA that was under 3.1 I would probably go to graduate school in chemistry or biology and work as an EMT or LPN while doing it. And I would work very hard to keep my GPA 3.5 or above to give me some options. However, I'm one of those people that think healthcare will soon be over saturated and that it will soon pay to differentiate yourself via excellence.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi bless,

I am a current Emory PA student and although I can tell you Emory's standards are very high, don't be completely discouraged by the stats. One of the reasons I chose Emory was because they didn't have a "required GPA" per se.

Having said that, my cumulative undergraduate GPA was BELOW 3.0. I knew to even have a chance I had to go back to school and get A's in upper level science courses in addition to making myself as attractive as I possibly could professionally. I took around 40 hours of classes (I honestly ran out of courses to take) and brought my post-bac GPA to a 3.8.

So should you be discouraged by a low GPA? Not necessarily. But understand that in order to be considered, you must make yourself outstanding in the other core areas like volunteerism and your clinical experience. Emory does a fantastic job of accepting the full spectrum of students from academic hot shots to those with tons of real-world experience. Good luck.

Hi bless,

I am a current Emory PA student and although I can tell you Emory's standards are very high, don't be completely discouraged by the stats. One of the reasons I chose Emory was because they didn't have a "required GPA" per se.

Having said that, my cumulative undergraduate GPA was BELOW 3.0. I knew to even have a chance I had to go back to school and get A's in upper level science courses in addition to making myself as attractive as I possibly could professionally. I took around 40 hours of classes (I honestly ran out of courses to take) and brought my post-bac GPA to a 3.8.

So should you be discouraged by a low GPA? Not necessarily. But understand that in order to be considered, you must make yourself outstanding in the other core areas like volunteerism and your clinical experience. Emory does a fantastic job of accepting the full spectrum of students from academic hot shots to those with tons of real-world experience. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi bless,

Thanks very much for the advice it helps greatly, I will do all I can.

• 1 month later...

Archived