Accepted! Class of 2015

Greetings and congrats to everyone that was accepted to UTPA! I created this thread in hopes of interacting with my future classmates before August. Feel free to introduce yourselves, ask questions, post any information you may have about the program, housing, or anything that may be helpful to others. I look forward to meeting all of you soon!

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in, my name is Cassandra and I'm originally from the Valley but currently reside in Fort Worth. I was wondering if any of you all had any information on the scholarships they mentioned during our interviews. I tried contracting Financial Aid today and they had not heard of it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to meeting all ya'll soon.

Congratulations!!! Take time to enjoy this moment because once you start the program a lot of your free time and time with family is disappointedly gone. As for housing, my wife and I live in a 2 bed 2 bath duplex that is about 5 minutes away from campus. They are currently building new ones right across from us and should be ready by the time y'all move here. I spoke to the president of our class, I'm the "student government/community rep" btw, and we are planning on putting together a list with recommendations of places to live along with phone numbers, ect. I know how stressful it can be to move here, we moved from the panhandle. If you would like information right now about a few places I know of just private message me and I'll for sure help you out.

As for the scholarships.....The "big" scholarship that they spoke about during orientation will not open up until this summer. They will send y'all a packet with acceptance info, financial aid, papers you need to fill out and return, ect. I believe they will email you scholarship information. I was one of the fortunate people who received the "big" scholarship and I know you will have to write an essay, show financial need "which shouldn't be hard lol", ect. They will not announce the recipients of the scholarships until the white coat ceremony before you start classes.

Also, they will send you an email telling you to sign up for an online medical terminology class that you MUST take and have completed before orientation. It is really not that hard of a class. Last year we had to be here 3 weeks before school started for a 2 week orientation. I am not sure how they will do it this year but I would expect similar. During this orientation Mr. Ambriz and some of the faculty will talk to you and do "lectures" and the current students will come in and do some activities with y'all and give you advice on how classes are, answer questions, ect.

I know this is a lot of information and I am sure y'all have a lot of questions. If you would like my email or number to get ahold of me and ask me questions just private message me and I'll be more than happy to help.

Try to enjoy your summer and do not try to do a lot of "school preparing". You will learn everything you need to know when you go through the program. Again, Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far!!!

• 2 weeks later...

congrats everyone and good luck to those who are still waiting. As my classmate said, try and enjoy the time with your family during the summer. Even those who are from the Valley and reside with their families require a full commitment both from them, in addition, to their families. It is indeed quite the ride though. I am from Houston and currently reside in the campus dorms which is not too bad, I actually enjoy it. Being able to oversleep and still make it to class on time without worrying about parking is indeed a plus. :) Throughout the year there are also other scholarship opportunities, I was fortunate enough to receive one of those which helped a bit. As jlucas stated if you have any questions feel free to private message us and we will do our best to answer your questions in a timely manner. Take care and see ya'll soon! -Joey-

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!! My name is Desiree Martinez and I am really looking forward to this new journey I will experiencing with all of my new classmates! Have any of you already applied for financial aid? Also, I am currently looking into housing and I spoke to a former UTPA student and she recommended the apartments called the Veranda. This is a four bedroom four bathroom apartment and it is only $370 a month. I am very interested and was wondering if anyone else was willing to room together. I thought it would be convenient to have PA students as roommates. Let me know if anyone is interested!

Hello KC! I was recommended the Veranda apartments. Have you looked into those? They are very modern and close to school. Its a four bedroom four bathroom apartment for 370 a month. I am very interested and I think it would be convenient to room with 3 other PA students the first semester. Let me know what you think or if you may be interested :)

Desiree Martinez

Hi Desiree! Awesome that you started a FB page, so we may begin meeting our 2015 classmates. In regards to housing, I may have to make a trip out there to look at places, since I currently live out in SoCal. I definitely like the layout of the unit, and I am open to living with other PA students to help with cost. However, under the housing post, it appears Veranda has some issues.

~KC

Hey everyone congrats on your acceptances. This summer is going to be my first year applying. I used to live at Veranda, and I highly don't recommend it. I moved into Veranda, because I transferred to UTPA last minute (2 weeks before the fall started). It is really loud throughout the week because of parties, pool was clean in August but was always green by December, and my old apartment was broken into twice.

I'd suggest living in a duplex, there are a lot near campus. Once again, Congrats!

Hey everyone congrats on your acceptances. This summer is going to be my first year applying. I used to live at Veranda, and I highly don't recommend it. I moved into Veranda, because I transferred to UTPA last minute (2 weeks before the fall started). It is really loud throughout the week because of parties, pool was clean in August but was always green by December, and my old apartment was broken into twice.

I'd suggest living in a duplex, there are a lot near campus. Once again, Congrats!

Archived