Newly Admitted Students: Laptop or Tablet?

• Administrator

If you do go with a disposable PC, make sure you have a nightly external hard drive backup or a cloud service, so that you don't lose any of your work when (not if, when) it is stolen or broken. That, and have a plan to replace it with a new one immediately upon failure. Lots of my peers would have been hard pressed to put another $300 together once they started school.

For those of you that have the ipad, can you open and edit power point presentations on it? I have an ipad and keyboard because I used it for my job, but I'm wondering if I need to get a new laptop. The laptop I have is 7 years old, bulky, and on the slow side so I'm wondering if I should just get a new one or if I can use my ipad for taking to class and just leave my heavy laptop at home.

If you buy keynote for $10 you can do normal editing on it just like a laptop would, also take notes on corresponding slides. I personally just convert to PDF and use notability. I can add text, pictures, draw over the top or hit the record button to get audio all on the same app. It also automatically backs up everything to the cloud of your choice (Dropbox, google drive etc.) like I said our class started with 2-3 and now there are around 20 for a reason, they're amazing study tools.

• 3 weeks later...

I went with a microsoft surface tablet, I have my desktop at home. So the 8hr battery life of the surface tablet was a big draw for me, also the fact it has microsoft office already installed on it and comes with a cover that doubles as the keyboard. I think it comes down to what you are comfortable with. I have never cared for apple products so I stay away from them.

I went with a microsoft surface tablet, I have my desktop at home. So the 8hr battery life of the surface tablet was a big draw for me, also the fact it has microsoft office already installed on it and comes with a cover that doubles as the keyboard. I think it comes down to what you are comfortable with. I have never cared for apple products so I stay away from them.

• 2 weeks later...

Great suggestions all! I've always used windows and always have to replace my laptops every 2-3 years due to malfunctioning and virus invasion, I'm sick and tired of it. I'm starting PA school this summer and I plan on getting both a MAC and an iPAD. It seems to me that more of you are in favor of the Pro, I might very well consider it. But I was thinking to get an iPAD mini. iPAD or IPAD mini, Which one do you guys think will be better in addition to a macbook?

Thanks so much! that's what I was also thinking. I'll get the regular sized now. and when it's time for clinicals, I'll get the mini as well :)

I think both the mini and the iPad have good and bad to them. I think it depends on what you want to use them for.. Notes in didactic I think you'd want the larger screen of the regular sized iPad. For clinicals, it would be nice to have a mini.

Archived