Froma Harrop Editorial - NPs

Check out the email thread below. I was miffed by her editorial about NPs this past weekend (failing to mention PAs), and wrote to her. Didn't expect a personal response....

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for mentioning physician assistants. Only my 600 word limit prevented me from including them in the piece. Explaining the NPs took a good 200 of them.

Fixing health care is one of my obsessions, and the overuse of doctors is a big part of it.

Absolutely, PAs will be part of a future column

Froma

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Stephen Hanson wrote:

Dear Ms. Harrop,

Excellent editorial about the human resource challenges that we are facing in this nation with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act. However, you forgot to mention the more than 100,000 physician assistants in this nation as another solution to the shortage of physicians.

PAs train for 26 months, at the graduate level, and practice medicine in physician led teams. We currently work in every specialty and subspecialty (I practice in plastic and reconstructive surgery).

Physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners are the only three professions in the United States that are trained, licensed and equipped to provide direct patient care in virtually every setting.

We need them all if there is any hope to serve the health care needs of our population.

Stephen Hanson, PA-C

Bakersfield CA

Sent from my iPad

Check out the email thread below. I was miffed by her editorial about NPs this past weekend (failing to mention PAs), and wrote to her. Didn't expect a personal response....

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for mentioning physician assistants. Only my 600 word limit prevented me from including them in the piece. Explaining the NPs took a good 200 of them.

Fixing health care is one of my obsessions, and the overuse of doctors is a big part of it.

Absolutely, PAs will be part of a future column

Froma

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Stephen Hanson wrote:

Dear Ms. Harrop,

Excellent editorial about the human resource challenges that we are facing in this nation with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act. However, you forgot to mention the more than 100,000 physician assistants in this nation as another solution to the shortage of physicians.

PAs train for 26 months, at the graduate level, and practice medicine in physician led teams. We currently work in every specialty and subspecialty (I practice in plastic and reconstructive surgery).

Physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners are the only three professions in the United States that are trained, licensed and equipped to provide direct patient care in virtually every setting.

We need them all if there is any hope to serve the health care needs of our population.

Stephen Hanson, PA-C

Bakersfield CA

Sent from my iPad

Archived